Classmates.com

ocnblu

So, I guess you guys have heard of this website. It's a place for old classmates to gather to keep in touch. 2007 was my 25th year out of high school, having graduated in 1982. We didn't have a reunion party last year, but one is in the works for this year. Anyway, as a member of the site, you get a "guestbook", a place for people to sign in and say "hi". This morning I got an email, someone signed in a greeting. When I saw the name I was a bit surprised, it was from a kid who was heavy in earlier grades. By the time we graduated, he was a buff, goodlooking guy, a hit with the ladies. I didn't think he knew I existed at the time, but it was nice of him to remember me after all this time.

Has anyone else ever run across an old classmate who greets you in a surprisingly warm way? Someone you were mere acquaintances with, but you somehow stuck in their head, and when you see them years later, they're like really happy to see you? Strange, but cool, it may leave you wondering what it was that went unsaid back in your school days.

True, I have been having some pretty vivid dreams lately, but back to the thread, I am not necessarily talking about people (guys or girls) wanting to "hook up" with an old classmate, just looking to catch up, or reminisce.

I've only been out of high school for (going on) 4 years now, but I've had a bit of this, thanks to Myspace and Facebook.

Most of the intermittent contact I do get is from people I was "everyday friends" with, but have had a couple of times with people I either knew but didn't really talk to OR just hadn't seen in a very long time send friendly messages. I don't read much into it, other than now, out of the "see you daily" situation, people just find it more interesting to spot a person from their past online and send them something...just because. I've been on the other end, too.

I found it awkward that people I didn't associate with in high school act like we were good friends when we ran into each other years later. Its as if going to the same school meant we should act like we were friends now over a decade later. Now that I'm no longer on the same side of the city, it hasn't happened in years.

I'm on facebook to keep in touch with a few people and share photos, but have avoided "poking back" old acquaintances/friends who have tried to contact me. If I wanted to resurrect old relationships, I would have made an effort long before the facebook phenomenon. I'm not really into looking back. I don't really care who hooked up, who got fat or lost their hair, who still looks young, what their kids look like, who has made a lot of money etc.

I found it awkward that people I didn't associate with in high school act like we were good friends when we ran into each other years later. Its as if going to the same school meant we should act like we were friends now over a decade later. Now that I'm no longer on the same side of the city, it hasn't happened in years.

+1

Most people I went to High School with are forgettable- and will be forgotten. My friends are another matter however.