Own your own Futurliner!

BigPontiac

I was just idly musing while driving around today RE that 'biggest truck logo' thread... thinking trivia-wise that the old VW bus had the biggest logo.... but I think the Futurliner handily crushes that claim.

I just want to see one of these in person one day.

Well, if you had attended the 2006 AACA Fall Meet in Hershey, PA with some of us C&Gers (me, oldsmoboi, ocnblu), your wish would have been granted:

DSCN2190.jpg

Yeah- I missed it, guess I can never skip another Hershey again... :angry:

I wanted to ask since the Hershey pics of the Futurliner were posted:

what's behind the right-hand door in the front?

I'm gonna guess that no one was allowed up the stairs to the cab, right?

Nope, you're not allowed to ever miss it again! :P

Behind the right hand door is access to an electrical panel, as seen here in this picture:

04_11_a.jpg

And you'd be guessing very wrong about the visit to the cab... they did allow you to climb the stairs, 1-2 people at a time and sit in both the passenger seats and in the driver's seat. I asked a gentleman to take my picture while I was seated in the driver's seat :smilewide: I wasn't sure exactly when I'd get an ooportunity to do that again.

On a sad note, it doesn't seem as if the Futurliner will be making it's way back to the Northeast any time in 2008, and who knows about 2009 at this point. I've been in contact with a couple of the "big wigs" about what it takes to bring this puppy out to shows and the point-blank answer is $$$money$$$. They have to pay for the trailering and driver, plus any other costs dealing with the transportation. And I'm assuming hotel room and other accomodations for the truck driver and NATMUS crew who travel with it. So unless a show makes money to spend money like that, I don't know who else other than the AACA and maybe the Carlisle Fairgrounds owners may be able to do that.

For those in any of the following areas, here's the 2008 show listing:

March 14 = AACA GRAND NATIONAL - Melbourne, FL

March 15 = AACA Southeast Winter Meet - Melbourne, FL

April 4-5 = AACA Southeast Spring Meet - Charlotte, NC

June 1 = CCCA National - Red Barns, Hickory Corners, Michigan

June 7 = Fleetwood Country Cruizein - London, Ontario, Canada

June 27-28 = Sloan Summer Fair - Flint, Michigan

July 4-6 = Haggerty Insurance, Traverse City, Michigan

August 17 = Pebble Beach - Pebble Beach, CA

August 22 & 23 = Metro Cruise - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I've wanted to see one of these in person ever since, years ago, seeing a special on TV about them...I think on the Travel channel, or something.

Very, VERY cool, indeed, and hard to imagine they were originally done so long ago.

>>"And you'd be guessing very wrong about the visit to the cab... they did allow you to climb the stairs, 1-2 people at a time and sit in both the passenger seats and in the driver's seat."<<

Can you feel the white hot hate pouring thru the inter-web-net at you, GMTG ?? :angry: :wink:

I am going to go out to my shop and drop my COE off a jack onto my neck in self-discipline over this one - DAMNIT ! The Futurliner is one of my top 10 must-see-before-die vehicles, and I agree, it doesn't sound likely it'll swing back thru again. Where is this one's home per it's B-J buyer?

I have one pic I snipped from you on the inside... would love to see more interior & detail shots if you have the time/inclination.