2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE

Lamar

So I was out driving around looking for some nice used cars because I'm looking to get out of the Pathfinder soon. I was driving to the next county over, and I decided to stop at this one small used car lot that I always pass by when I go out that way.

They had a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE in gold with tan leather. 52K miles, around $9k price. :omfg: Loaded with everything but the CD player. :rolleyes:

I took it out for a spin and loved how it felt. Big, luxurious, and sporty at the same time. This car would be perfect for me and my wife, because we take car trips quite often.

I'm tellin y'all, the only thing that kept me from buying the car was that our money's not quite right yet, as we still only have one income due to me being in school full-time. I'm hoping the car will still be around come this summer, because that's the best used car I've seen and test-driven in quite a while. If not, I may have to settle for one of the several Auroras for sale around here. :P

My question to you, fellow C&Gers, is... is this deal too good to be true, or is it? And for those of you who are spiritual (as well as those of you who are not :lol: ), pray that the car is still there when I'm able to buy it. :smilewide:

Get if for 8K and you got yourself a deal.

I did a KBB query and it said the car was worth 10K, but you know how that goes...

My trade is actually worth 3K, so in effect I'd be paying less out of pocket.

Unfortunately, though, the car wasn't on the lot the last time I drove past. :cry:

My 01 Aurora (build date: Nov 99) was 7500, and it's a V6, no onstar, no traction control, no spoiler, no sunroof, but I do believe everything else. Since you're looking at the Pontiac, I'd try for 7k + tax. I mean, it doesn't even have a CD player.

What you might want to do...go look at the Red Book--it's the guide dealerships use when they want to unload a car wholesale because it isn't selling on the lot.

My 01 Aurora (build date: Nov 99) was 7500, and it's a V6, no onstar, no traction control, no spoiler, no sunroof, but I do believe everything else. Since you're looking at the Pontiac, I'd try for 7k + tax. I mean, it doesn't even have a CD player.

What you might want to do...go look at the Red Book--it's the guide dealerships use when they want to unload a car wholesale because it isn't selling on the lot.

Do they have Red Book here in the States? Only one I've seen is the Blue Book... that's how I found the actual value of the car at over $10k.

I'm in the states; my uncle found one for me and gave it to me. I honestly don't know where to find it; I suspect it will be more difficult since that's the dealer wholesale value book. They have a vested interest in keeping that on the hush hush...and they'll deny they know what it is if you bring it with you to the negotiations.

I'm in the states; my uncle found one for me and gave it to me. I honestly don't know where to find it; I suspect it will be more difficult since that's the dealer wholesale value book. They have a vested interest in keeping that on the hush hush...and they'll deny they know what it is if you bring it with you to the negotiations.

I had to ask because I did a web search for "Red Book" as it pertained to autos, and it turns out that that's the Aussie equivalent of our Blue Book. Come to think of it, I did see a used-car directory the other day at B&N that listed wholesale prices in it... and it was red. Hmm... :scratchchin:

The book your uncle gave you, was it paperback?

• 7 months later...

BUMP!

OK, so the Bonneville that I was talking about back in February? It's still there. Price: $8,149. :D And my wife likes it. :smilewide:

Now, the only thing wrong with the car I've found is that the front passenger window doesn't move. I know it's not the switch because both switches (driver and passenger) don't move the window. My guess is it's the window motor... how much would it cose to replace one of those?

Also, I heard that cars from this platform back in the day are somewhat known for dropping transmissions... how accurate is that, and how much to repair/replace (on average)?

I'm still most likely getting the car... just want some more advice from the old guys. :duck:

Now, the only thing wrong with the car I've found is that the front passenger window doesn't move. I know it's not the switch because both switches (driver and passenger) don't move the window. My guess is it's the window motor... how much would it cose to replace one of those?

Since no one else answered, I'll try to help. The window motors aren't too bad to fix, my only fear is that once they open the door up, some dealers do a crap job of closing it. Case in point: I bought my '99 Bonne used from a Nissan dealership. It needed a new driver's side rearview mirror. Well the clowns at the dealership broke some of the trim pieces trying to get it apart, as I guess they are not used to GM's solid auto building techniques. ;-) My door was kinda loosey-goosey until I grabbed new trim parts from the junkyard and fixed it myself. In retrospect, I should've asked for $300 off the car, and did the job myself.

If a GOOD mechanic does it, they should be in and out of the door in, say, two hours, tops.

I would suggest that is isn't that hard of a fix, if you have a helper hold the window up, but I know some newer GM cars have the door panels fused to the outer door, and I can't suggest how to reattach those.

Also, I heard that cars from this platform back in the day are somewhat known for dropping transmissions... how accurate is that, and how much to repair/replace (on average)?

My '99 is from the previous half-generation. In reality, all Bonnes '87-2005 are pretty similar. If you don't have the GXP or a supercharged engine, you would have a 4T65-E, which is a tranny used by GM for YEARS without serious problems.. I have never heard any worse stories about the H-body trannies than other GM lines. The GXP and SSEI both actually get a stronger trannies, the 4T65E-HD and the 4T80E.

What to look for is problems with the Upper Intake Manifold, if its plastic. Series 3 3800's have a aluminum UIM, and are better. Problems with DexCool ruin the UIM and LIM gaskets... get rid of the DexCool ASAP. There are reports of the Bonneville bodies having leaking problems... and the trunk, when opened in the rain, tends to dump water in the trunk.

They are still nice cars, and I am struggling with the decision to get a '05 GXP, a GTO, a G8 GXP or to hold out waiting for a G8 coupe or the Camaro.

I will likely buy a GTO and pick up a Bonne GXP in a couple years when I give up on my '99 Bonneville.

For the record, my Bonneville has run 150K in 4 years (it's up to 193K)... and while it's not been perfect, I still like it. All used cars break.

For more info, head over to the BonnevilleForum(s).com. _VERY_ knowledgeable Bonne folks there.

Stephen

Update from the Member's Rides section of The Lounge:

Dave, I got it Tuesday, had it delivered to the house Wednesday. :D

Thanks for the info, SAmadei...

... as it turns out, the passenger window was fixed by the time we took a drive on Tuesday. So no problems there.

... I'll probably have an antifreeze flush done before it gets cold.

... we put 30somethingK on an Intrepid (got it with 142K on the clock) and the tranny didn't drop. So in light of that, I can trust GM. :lol:

... I just joined Bonneville Forum earlier today.

Like I said, there will be pics up tomorrow of the Cruise Missile. 8)

My parents have a 01 Bonny SE with 92K miles on it. They thankfully have never had any problems with the window regulators as of yet. If they did, I would be the one chosen to fix it! All 4 wheel bearings have been replaced and this seems to be a G-body trait in this time era. Regarding the tranny, GM has fiddled with the 4T65 every year it has been out. Some years seem better than others. Two problems this tranny is very nearly certain to have somewhere in it's lifetime are the pressure solonoid bore issue which results in bang shifts and excessive whine and the infamous cracked sun shell gear. I have seen litterally hundreds of Park Aves, LeSabres and Bonnys with these two issues at a friends repair shop. Both problems can be fixed but the Sun shell gear issue requires a tear down and rebuild so your looking at anywhere from $1500-2000 or more to do this. My parents 01 tranny is starting to shift hard with 92K so it won't be long. The upper intake manifold will need replacing soon also as it's starting to use antifreeze and running erratically. On the up side, the old girl has never left them stranded and has been very reliable to know.