Driving Style: GM Design's first Century

Wonderful.

The book will contain many never-before seen pics that were recently recovered from strange storage areas, as well as new pics of old concepts

from interesting perspectives, some cars were pulled from storage specifically for this book. I know you have spent years researching this topic yourself,

and you should really enjoy the way this historically accurate project is laid out. I wish you could have had access to the archives as I did, and helped with

this effort as you should have...Thank you for sparking my interest to dig through dusty old binders of old car ghosts. You were the catalyst for my involvement

to assist the author in some ways, and I wish you could have rummaged through the binders with me.... I am truly sorry that you couldn't treasure hunt also.

You should be working at GM now, and if it were up to me, it would be so.

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Edited by mightymouse

Well, you know I greatly appreciated all the time you spent on my behalf, MM, even if an increasing part of it was to satisfy your own interests.

But if this book does NOT include the complete numerical catalog of XP numbers, I'm may be MORE angry that another attempt at documenting the greatness of GM has fallen far short yet again. I'm hoping against hope on seeing at least a sketch of the convertible station wagon......

Nice clear pic of the interior of my favorite GM concept above- thanks!

BTW- I assume you've see a pre-production copy of the book? If so, can you answer my query above; does it feature a complete numerical catalog of XP numbers?

Well, you know I greatly appreciated all the time you spent on my behalf, MM, even if an increasing part of it was to satisfy your own interests.

But if this book does NOT include the complete numerical catalog of XP numbers, I'm may be MORE angry that another attempt at documenting the greatness of GM has fallen far short yet again. I'm hoping against hope on seeing at least a sketch of the convertible station wagon......

Nice clear pic of the interior of my favorite GM concept above- thanks!

BTW- I assume you've see a pre-production copy of the book? If so, can you answer my query above; does it feature a complete numerical catalog of XP numbers?

I have not yet seen an early copy....But I know it's going to print soon. I will find out if the XP number index will be included as it should be,

I met the author last week and he is definately one of us. Complete? I don't think it ever will be complete....unless I find a wrinkle in the space/time

continuem...in that case I will no doubt handle it. Tidbit for now- some of the Some Missing have been found~

Edited by mightymouse

• 4 months later...

I pre-ordered this book with the publisher at the 2008 All-GM Nationals car show in Carlisle on Saturday, June 21. I spoke with Mark (owns the publishing company) about the new release date and he said a September/October timeframe is expected (he said the book is ready to print - it's up to GM now to sign-off on it <I guess some of the vehicles in it are still being reviewed by GM>).

Mark was positioned with GM employees Scott Settlemeir and David North <retired> and both the Camaro Convertible concept and Bumblebee. If you ask me, it was not the best location for this type of function (Scott holding sessions about the Camaro, Mark selling the book), as it caused many "traffic" jams and detracted from the purpose of the T-Building (invitational cars). It was to their benefit though, as everyone that walked through the T-Building had exposure to the book. There was a large oblong covered book ont he table; I'm assuming that this was the first completed book that GM was reviewing and that was not shown to the public. Mark had a softbound smaller version copy that he would flip open to show what the book will be like. When I was there, he showed off the '56 Buick Centurion concept - WOW!, it looked great in the book. I asked him ig GMC vehicles would be included and he replied yes (truth be told, I still would have bought the book regardless of GMC's inclusion).

He took my e-mail address when I paid him, saying that he would add me to the contact list to receive updates. I haven't gotten any yet, but with the show being only a week ago, I don't really expect any this soon.

If you are in doubt about this book, take my word for whatever it is worth and order a copy. I know you won't be unhappy once you get it!

MM; in re-reading the below:

>>"...even if an increasing part of it was to satisfy your own interests."<<

I want to clarify that I, in no way, meant that as a slight towards you; it reads that way to me this time around. Poor choice of wording on my part.

I will order a copy also, curious to see how the volumous topic was handled, and of course; always eager to see more concept pics.

>>"...David North <retired> ..."<<

North did the conceptual & influential sketch of the 'Flame Car' that rather faithfully turned into the '66 Toronado.

I am always reassured when GM designers are involved in these sort of historical tomes, rather than just regular jerks like me.

Still pinning prime hopes on a complete chronological listing of XP numbers.

Ironically, I was just re-pondering the identities of XP-1 thru XP-7 this week (XP-8 is the '51 LeSabre, XP-9 is the '51 XP-300). '38 Y-Job may well pre-date the 'XP' catalog, '41 FuturLiners likely the same (plus restorers have verified they've never seen XP numbers associated with the FLs)....

Cadillac had a radical steel prototype being tested, the '46 "C.O." (not sure what that stood for), that's a possibility...

1946_Cadillac_Interceptor.jpg

...other than that... I cannot place any and I wonder if they were stillborn projects that were never publicized....

• 4 months later...

Has anyone received their pre-ordered copy yet? I bought mine in June at the All-GM Nationals show in Carlisle and was told by Marck (publisher) that the book release will coincide with GM's 100 year bash in September. That month came and went and so has October; November is almost over with no updates. I checked the website link above, and it still states "Book to ship in the Fall". I clicked on their "contact" link, but it doesn't go there. I hope nothing is wrong with the publisher...

• 4 weeks later...
balthazar... I haven't received my copy yet, though the publisher did respond to my e-mail inquiry at the beginning of November and he stated that it would the books would be mailed out mid-November the latest (they missed that target too). I figured they would more than likely come out by Christmas. I'll post when I receive mine.

I got mine yesterday too... it was sitting on the porch when I got home. However, with a lot of work at school to do (namely interim grading), Christmas shopping that's no where near being done with yet, and some planned holiday activities this weekend, I will probably keep the book sealed until I go on vacation next Wednesday. It will be killing me in the meantime though!!!

EDIT: uhh... some of the photo captions are wrong...

That's disheartening to hear... this book has been developed over a long period of time and has been delayed many times. Can you elaborate on your comment a little more??? Like I said in my previous post, I'll open up my book next week when I'm off on vacation.

If there is, I haven't seen it, balthy. Mostly it is divided into sections profiling each head of GM Design down through the years, and how each man shaped GM styling. There are some nice photos of concepts we've seen before, and some production cars. As far as photos, I see nothing revelatory.

If that's true, I'm severely disappointed.

There's tons of sh!t buried in GM archives,

MightyMouse sent me a few photocopies of vehicles I have never seen before.

An inclusive listing is elementary- yet another book on GM design shouldn't

even be considered without such a list.

Temple's book GM's Motorama had some excellent new pics & revelations,

but there, still a list was lacking.

• 7 months later...
ocnblu... you bought (ordered) your copy at the All-GM Nationals car show in Carlisle last summer, right? I hope you got your $11 worth out of the book if that's your selling price! (it's a good deal YJ, go for it!) And just think, the original price was $75!! :mind-blowing: I too am disappointed with this book, as it pretty much is an overpriced picture book and not what it was sold on at its intro here. However, I like the pictures it contains and if I want to flip through and just look at them in high quality, then this is what the book delivers on. Such a shame though with what it could have been <_<

In an unrelated tangent, I recently found some layout sketches for a GM concept book I was thinking of a few years back, and I started putting together some pages on the computer. I have no dreams of getting this published- there have already been a number of books, and I would need to travel to see the cars that survive in person AND dig deep thru GM's archives - I have neither the time, money or connections for that.

EDIT ::

Quick-n-dirty shot, formatting not complete --

XPBook-testpage.jpg

Edited by balthazar