where the weep hole on a 2.4 chevy 99 malibu?

a year ago Someone at autotire told me my water pump weep hole was leaking coolent. Where is the weep hole on this car? I cant even find the water pump. I have not had to add any coolent to this car. was to guy just trying to make some money?

its a 99 malibu 2.4 with 78.000 miles.

thanks

a year ago Someone at autotire told me my water pump weep hole was leaking coolent. Where is the weep hole on this car? I cant even find the water pump. I have not had to add any coolent to this car. was to guy just trying to make some money?

its a 99 malibu 2.4 with 78.000 miles.

thanks

From what I remember, the water pump is under the timing cover and is driven by the timing belt. The "weep hole" should be just under the pully at the base of the shaft.

I hope that helps.

Weeping hole is a common place for a coolant leak, unfortunately, to stop the leak it is required that the whole pump replaced... The good news is that your water pump shouldn't be in the engine block like the 2.7L Chrysler V6 that Dodgefan has.

It's behind a housing, behind the exhaust manifold. Calls for 6.3 hours labor, pretty involved!! Don't think theres a weephole on an internal timing chain driven water pump, I suppose maybe a hole in the housing that's covering the pump? Don't know. Get a second opinion, have you had to add coolant?

It's behind a housing, behind the exhaust manifold. Calls for 6.3 hours labor, pretty involved!! Don't think theres a weephole on an internal timing chain driven water pump, I suppose maybe a hole in the housing that's covering the pump? Don't know. Get a second opinion, have you had to add coolant?

I added no coolent to it. It allways has coolent in the plastic tank.. I think its ok i hope. How long do these water pumps last?

I should buy me a new malibu:)

Edited by tootal2

If you're not having to add coolant, then it can't be much of a leak. Just watch your coolant level, and your temperature. I've seen pumps go over 200,000 miles, or go after only 10,000. It just depends. If you're not overheating or losing coolant, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by gmpartsgirl

If you're not having to add coolant, then it can't be much of a leak. Just watch your coolant level, and your temperature. I've seen pumps go over 200,000 miles, or go after only 10,000. It just depends. If you're not overheating or losing coolant, I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed.

If you are not even going through a 1/4 of it at all, I wouldn't worry about it. Only if you notice coolant level dropping would I even worry about it.

If she's running good, you should have plently of time.

Agreed.

If you are not even going through a 1/4 of it at all, I wouldn't worry about it. Only if you notice coolant level dropping would I even worry about it.

If she's running good, you should have plently of time.

now my ac pump makes a grinding sound:( now my car has no ac after 9 years:(. Im thinking about buying a new chevy aveo.

But i only drive about 5 miles a day and my malibu is paid for. Should i fix it or get a new car?

thanks

It would probably cost you about $1500 to fix it at the dealership, but the compressor would have a lifetime warranty. It would still be cheaper than a payment. I would fix it, if you still like the car. The Aveo is going to lose so much value, it would cost less in the long run to keep the bu.

It would probably cost you about $1500 to fix it at the dealership, but the compressor would have a lifetime warranty. It would still be cheaper than a payment. I would fix it, if you still like the car. The Aveo is going to lose so much value, it would cost less in the long run to keep the bu.

I think i will just keep driving it without ac. The car still runs good. I just hope the water pump is good. I guess if it goes bad i can walk 2 mile to work.

I think i will just keep driving it without ac. The car still runs good. I just hope the water pump is good. I guess if it goes bad i can walk 2 mile to work.

I had a serpentine belt replaced and that seems to have fixed all my problems. Ac works fine now. Guess i dont have to buy a new car now.