Drop EVERYTHING and ACCELERATE the Lambdas

" . . . The acceleration of the GMT 900s [ will get ] them to market . . . "

CD/BP: Do you think it'd be better to release all 3 ASAP, or stagger them, with Saturn, then a month or two later GMC or Buick?

:P Conversely, has the Buick Lucerne suffered from "get everything else out first and delay it to market"?

I think the sooner all three come out the better. It'd be nice if they were released around January-February timeframe, right around the time when snow is covering 65% of the country, and SUV sales benefit most. When exactly do these things come out. I thought part of the acceleration program that benefitted the 900s also benefitted Lambdas and Thetas....

I hate to sound like a total a*hole but I would be very happy if GM look up to the Freestyle for inspiration for it's new crossovers. It just wasn't an all-around effort by Ford. It offers a lot of nice features but it suffers from Ford's recent desire to make all their SUVs and Trucks look bland and exactly the same. If they gave it more destinct styling like the Fusion, it probably wouldn't have flopped like it did.

The Freestyle is an example of excellent engineering, but stodgy design. It has everything a crossover buyer needs (excellent versatility, good driving dynamics), but not wants.

[post="32710"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, a real engine, real styling, and a nicer inside would do wonders.

I think it's a good idea to stagger them simply for production reasons. It's a brand new plant, with brand new vehicles that none of the workers have ever assembled before, so I think it's best if they get used to building one and then another. I think it would cause some confusion if they had to learn how to build all three all at once.

My, possibly inaccurate, understanding is that GMT900 is heavily based upon the current truck, so perhaps accelerating that program was easier than accelerating Lambda. Also, my understanding is that Ford will have larger crossovers around the 2009 model year, based upon D3, for Ford and Lincoln that will possibly compete with Lambda more directly than the Freestyle.

So GM basically pulled a "drop everything and get the GMT-900 SUVs to market" move. Now that they are more/less put to bed. Why in the world aren't they doing something similar with the Lambda crossovers? (Maybe they are and we are in for a nice surprise, who knows) For once in a long time they could be exactly where the market is going.

The acceleration of the GMT-900s SUVs will get them to market 1-2 months early. If they ordered an acceleartion of the Lamba crossovers now maybe they could even get some of them out 3 months earlier. 2-3 extra months of stronger sales sure wouldnt be a bad thing.

[post="32174"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think lots of engineering resources are being devoted to Lambda as we speak.

Yes, a real engine, real styling, and a nicer inside would do wonders.

[post="32711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good points, but though not a real eye-catcher, it has better driving dynamics, refinement, and room than the only real competitor, the Pacifica, not to mention actually being priced RIGHT--most of the ones sold hover right around the $30k mark with a lot still below that.

Things like the engine/power really are adequate and I've never heard anyone, besides an auto mag, say that it is lacking. Actually, according to a co-worker who traded a nearly new Expedition EB 4wd for a Freestyle, she LOVES it and says it's one of the nicest vehicles they've ever had--and it's just a base FWD model with very few options. Can still fit just as many people inside, describes it as "quick and quiet", and, best of all, has been thrilled with the constant 26-28MPG she gets ALL THE TIME.

That being said, while I expect the new GM Lambda's to be one of the better lookers and finally have some real room inside, they better be right at the top of things like MPG's and right at the lower end of the MSRP scale to be a true success. i.e., start around $26k and don't go ANY higher than $36.5-37k (and for that much, it would have to be a LOADED, LOADED Buick model, for instance, with everything imaginable). Edited by caddycruiser

Very true. The crossovers have all been pulled forward and will now all debut next year (at least the one known to be approved).

[post="33236"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not true. They are on schedule to be cadenced in over the next 18 months.

I thought the info from Las Vegas was they'd be all released next year, although Auto News seems to have heard differently.

[post="33340"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Last one goes into production around the first quarter of 2007. Unless timing has recently changed. Edited by evok