Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Addicted

Between the death of a beloved/valued member on one of my heart boards and a phone call from a friend who I haven't heard from in a long time because he is no longer on any message board, it has been quite an interesting week. These instances reminded me of several members from all of the different boards who either are truly no longer with us, or just have "fallen off the face of the earth" due to not posting or visiting the forums anymore.... When I notice people haven't posted in a while, I'll wonder what happened to 'em and hope/pray that all is well. Heh ... given a few other things going on now and over the course of the last month or so, I've thought about taking a "leave of absence" from the forums for a while, but each time I think I will, another new subject is posted by someone that keeps me active. Course, it's always interesting to see the choice of "topic title" people use for their thread-starting posts....

This got me to wondering if I'm just addicted to the boards and to reading what others have to say ... or, if I stay because of the people. Perhaps it is a mixture of the two...but, for me, I think it is more because of the people, because I miss regulars when they don't post for a long time...and I don't like missing anything or anyone....

How about you? Why do you visit the forums? Addiction? People connections? Or?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Time is forever but love is a fire" ... Crystal Gayle ... 'Sound Of Goodbye'

I should be out in the shop hammering on the B-59, but my days are so sliced up I pop in here every evening in between doing other things...

I don't really feel much in the way of personal connections- none of us are anymore than 2-D text on a screen here; that's not real in any sense of the word.

I don't really feel much in the way of personal connections- none of us are anymore than 2-D text on a screen here; that's not real in any sense of the word.

So that explains it... :P

Though, I will agree to an extent, after a while, you get to know someone like you would by any other means of communication. People tend to type in a unique way as they do speaking. It's more difficult, but you can sometimes identify a person by their typing style. It's certainly not the same as befriending someone by actual face-to-face meetings, however, I consider certain people I've met online better friends than those I've met in person.

>>"...after a while, you get to know someone like you would by any other means of communication."<<

I agree, which is why I always carry a backpack of emoticon signs to explain to the guy standing in front of me what I mean.

Actually, I'm quite sure you're completely unable to show any emotion. You just walk around, straight-faced, sort of grumpy. It never changes. Someone jumps in front of you on your way into town and yells "Woo! Woo! I painted my house pink! Will you lick it? I have lots of hot sausage!" You fail to react and stare with an evil eye. While at the market, the cashier smiles at you and says "Have a great day!" after ringing up your purchase of suppositories... You just raise your eyebrow a little. When you get home, you find your dog Old Yeller dead on the porch, you stop, shrug your shoulders. You push the carcass off to the side. Then, to spread your everlasting lack of emotion, you torture poor little C&Gers with your outdated logic. Yep, I'm pretty that nails it.

Besides that, I'm secretly hoping somebody at GM monitors these boards and get an idea or two...

*grins*

Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

For the most part, I agree with you, here ... except, of course, for those I HAVE met in person. IMHO, meeting people in person really makes the message board experience that much more enjoyable, entertaining and personal. At least, for me, anyway ... I don't know about anyone else. I can't say I've ever had a bad experience meeting anyone from C&G or any of my other boards/groups, for that matter. Course, I don't know if others think the same, but that's how I feel about it....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It hurts to feel like such a fool" ... Dan Seals ... 'Addicted'

See, if we were face to face I could grab you by the neck right about now!

NOW how can you possibly compare cyber-text to actuality??

I kind of like that aspect of it. :P

I'm not completely for it, anyways. I did partly agree with you on it. After years of chatting on online with someone, you get to know them regardless of being completely able to communicate via physical means and actions. It's not preferred, but hasn't prevented someone I only know from from online to be considered my best friend. I'm sure not everyone is as odd as me, though. :D