An alternate future for GM

The other day I was out walking and something popped into my head about GM. Everyone says they have to many brands, including many within GM. I am not sure that they necessarily have to many brands as much as they have to many brands fighting for the same market. Perhaps GM needs to separate the brands more and going to the extreme as my mind often does I came up with the following to separate out the brands as best as they can be (albeit in a fantasy world):

Chevrolet

Core values: volume, affordability, practicality

Core vehicles: FWD compact sedan/coupe, FWD midsize sedan/coupe, RWD volume large sedan

Key competitors: Toyota, Honda, Ford...(other mainstream brands)

GMC

Core values: volume, affordability, utility

Core vehicles: FWD based compact crossover, FWD based midsize crossover, minivan, BOF trucks, BOF SUVs

Key competitors: trucks and crossovers from Toyota, Honda, Ford...(other mainstream brands)

Pontiac

Core values: individuality, performance, exclusivity

Core vehicles: MR (mid rear) sub compact 3 door, MR compact coupe/sedan, MR midsize coupe/sedan

Key competitors: Porsche

Saturn

Core values: economy, gadgets, 'hip image'

Core vehicles: FWD subcompact 3 door, FWD compact 3/5 door, FWD midsize 5 door/sedan

Key competitors: VW, Mini, Subaru

Buick

Core values: luxury, affordability, prestige

Core vehicles: FWD/AWD premium compact sedan, RWD/AWD premium midsize sedan, RWD/AWD premium large sedan

Key competitors: Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar

Hummer

Core value: hardcore off-road prowess, luxury features, bling

Core vehicles: AWD midsize SUV, AWD large SUV

Key competitors: Land Rover, BMW CUVs/SAVs

Cadillac

Core values: ultra luxury, exclusive features, exclusivity

Core vehicles: RWD/AWD midsize sedan/coupe/convertible, RWD/AWD large sedan/coupe/convertible

Key competitors: Bentley, BMW (larger models), Rolls Royce, Bugatti

The other day I was out walking and something popped into my head about GM. Everyone says they have to many brands, including many within GM. I am not sure that they necessarily have to many brands as much as they have to many brands fighting for the same market. Perhaps GM needs to separate the brands more and going to the extreme as my mind often does I came up with the following to separate out the brands as best as they can be (albeit in a fantasy world):

Chevrolet

Core values: volume, affordability, practicality

Core vehicles: FWD compact sedan/coupe, FWD midsize sedan/coupe, RWD volume large sedan

Key competitors: Toyota, Honda, Ford...(other mainstream brands)

GMC

Core values: volume, affordability, utility

Core vehicles: FWD based compact crossover, FWD based midsize crossover, minivan, BOF trucks, BOF SUVs

Key competitors: trucks and crossovers from Toyota, Honda, Ford...(other mainstream brands)

Pontiac

Core values: individuality, performance, exclusivity

Core vehicles: MR (mid rear) sub compact 3 door, MR compact coupe/sedan, MR midsize coupe/sedan

Key competitors: Porsche

Saturn

Core values: economy, gadgets, 'hip image'

Core vehicles: FWD subcompact 3 door, FWD compact 3/5 door, FWD midsize 5 door/sedan

Key competitors: VW, Mini, Subaru

Buick

Core values: luxury, affordability, prestige

Core vehicles: FWD/AWD premium compact sedan, RWD/AWD premium midsize sedan, RWD/AWD premium large sedan

Key competitors: Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar

Hummer

Core value: hardcore off-road prowess, luxury features, bling

Core vehicles: AWD midsize SUV, AWD large SUV

Key competitors: Land Rover, BMW CUVs/SAVs

Cadillac

Core values: ultra luxury, exclusive features, exclusivity

Core vehicles: RWD/AWD midsize sedan/coupe/convertible, RWD/AWD large sedan/coupe/convertible

Key competitors: Bentley, BMW (larger models), Rolls Royce, Bugatti

Fun idea.....but your "Key Competitors" listing shows the difficulty in the challenge you propose......

Pontiac comparing to Porsche? www.notgonnahappen.com.

Buick? Ditto Pontiac. Buick can't yet come close to comparing with Lexus, Audi, Benz, or Jaguar in brand perception.

Cadillac? Definitely BMW I would think....with some more work....but the rest? Unfortunately never.

Chevy, GMC, and Saturn's competitors? Probably on target.

Fun idea.....but your "Key Competitors" listing shows the difficulty in the challenge you propose......

Pontiac comparing to Porsche? www.notgonnahappen.com.

Buick? Ditto Pontiac. Buick can't yet come close to comparing with Lexus, Audi, Benz, or Jaguar in brand perception.

Cadillac? Definitely BMW I would think....with some more work....but the rest? Unfortunately never.

Chevy, GMC, and Saturn's competitors? Probably on target.

Oh, I know that. I was thinking, pie in the sky. As if we could 'reset' the automotive marketplace.

Or a what if GM had taken these brands in those directions in the 60s.

I always think of Cadillac aspiring to be more of a Benz competitor than BMW. BMW to me is tilted more toward sport than luxury, Benz is more toward luxury, where Cadillac should be.

Pontiac should not have its sights aimed at Porsche. Honestly, they should not be directly aimed at BMW, either, but instead be aimed at BMW's principals and concepts. That is what is best for the brand.

Simply Built to kick their Butt.....

A little old school....and little new school...

Oh, I know that. I was thinking, pie in the sky. As if we could 'reset' the automotive marketplace.

Or a what if GM had taken these brands in those directions in the 60s.

YEARS ago, GM had the right idea.....it may have been when Lutz first came on board.

Cadillac was to move slightly upmarket to tackle A-tier germans such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz, including a range-topping sedan to compete with the 7 and S.......leaving Buick to morph more into an "American" Lexus....focusing on refinement, quietness, and an ability to coddle it's passengers......but with way more quality in the driving feel and interior environment than what Buicks in the past offered up. In effect, pick up where Cadillac left off years ago before they started venturing into Catera and CTS territory.

We've discussed this here before.

It could have worked....IF GM had devoted the development and product planning appropriately. We can all argue whether they had the money, or even platforms to do it....but I think the theory IS sound at least......

Where does this leave Chevy? In relatively the same position......with Pontiac hell-bent on affordable driving enjoyment....and not just rebadged Chevys. It's one thing to offer a G6, restyled from the prev-gen Malibu, but the ending result offered yes, a different look, but no more performance, handling, or any other quality to separate it from the Malibu. G6 is basically the exact same car underneath. You can't make a performance division on looks alone. G6 should have had some serious, tangible increases in performance and handling to go along with it's slinkier looks.