Is the Camaro dead?

Todays engines are so advanced and well tuned that the cylinder count for a street driven cars is becoming more relitive. In the past you had to rely on Cubic Inches for power but today that is not always the case anymore.

exactly... i showed my dad the new ss cobalt and a video of it on the inside line... hehe he was pretty depressed that an ss cobalt can take his 94 z28's lunch with only a few tweaks. on that same note when he was shopping for a car once he passed on a 87 buick gn for a 86 monte carlo. all he knew at the time was v6 < v8. once he realized what made that buick nasty he kicked himself for signing on the monte. turbo and N/A v6's are trespassing in V8 territory these days from all sorts of automakers and for once it really wouldnt pain me to drive a v6 as long as it had north of 285hp

As for the death of the V8 engine, I am perhaps not lamenting as much as others are. Yes, I do find it appalling that people will virtually no longer have this powertrain option in the future, thusly limiting choice in a rather fascist manner. And I do like the V8 engine myself and would buy my next vehicle with one if I could afford to run it. However, I know that if I ever want a V8 engine in any rear-drive product I choose to buy, the aftermarket will still be building these engines and I can install one myself.

Yeah right...

If GM has to stop making the V8, what makes you think the government or fuel prices won't destroy small specialty builders?

This is an element of the future of the V8 engine I think many people are overlooking. While you may not be able to buy many cars in the future with a V8 stock, you will be able to buy a V8 engine from an aftermarket outlet such as GM Performance Parts and install the engine yourself. (If the EPA and CAFE regulated aftermarket outlets like GM Performance Parts, they would not be still making big-block engines for purchase now would they? Just keep this in mind.)

They will... All in good time.

but who knows maybe GM would come up with a version of its two mode hybrid currently used in the big SUV's for the camaro I think it would return great mpg's numbers on the Camaro since it would be lighter and more aerodimamic than the big SUV's.

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Gm seems to ignorant to actually innovate these days.

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Gm seems to ignorant to actually innovate these days.

FWIW, Reuss already confirmed a hybrid Commodore for '10. The hardware is ready to go.

FWIW, Reuss already confirmed a hybrid Commodore for '10. The hardware is ready to go.

It is onthe fast track as The Aussie gov will buy a lot of cars from any MFG that will build them in the country. Toyota may move a Cmary Hybrid line to do it if Holden is late.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a 5-6 year min run, especially if gas hits 5 or 6 bucks a gallon. The GM Board seems to be in a foul mood these days, and as they say, nothing in this life is guaranteed, so if you want one, I would buy one ASAP.

Well this is a disappointing prospect PCS. I think with the correct drive trains and already existing technology, the Camaro could be fun and fuel efficient, especially if it's put on a smaller rear drive platform (Alpha?).

One thing I think GM should consider though is that there definitely is a market for rear drive coupes and there's tons of GM fans that would line up for them, and I think they don't have to be V8s either (like the 350Z, the G37, 2009 Mustang, other rear drive coupes from the imports). GM has such a cool rear drive coupe history to draw from, it would be insane not to play on it. (Chevelle, Nova, Chevy II, Camaro, the list goes one into insanity)

I think we could have a modern, rear drive coupe that's small and relatively fuel efficient in the same vein as the upcoming Hyundai coupe and the 350Z at an affordable price, perhaps utilizing a stretched version of the Kappa platform.

You know, I love reflecting on my 1998 Camaro whenever I can. That 98 Z28 got better highway mileage than my wife's new G35 - keep in mind that was a 98, with a 4 spd. auto and an LS1 V8. I recorded 30.8 avg. mpg going 65-70 mph on I-45 between Houston and Dallas on a road trip to Colorado about 6 months after I bought the car. I averaged in the high 20s that whole trip.

GM can put powerful rear drive coupes on the market, and not have it effect their fleet average that much - I know it can be done - and if this fact were pointed out with clever marketing, I think that would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
Didn't they say they needed to sell 160,000 a year to make a business case for it?

LOL

Who made up THOSE numbers..???

With domestic car sales DOWN, a newly introduced model at a time that couldn't be worse is gonna be some kinda magical thing to generate 160,000 vehicles sold in first year sales.

:scratchchin:

Seems to me they are setting up a disaster if that's the numbers they expect. I can't see GM thinking that.