I've Been Thinking

For the past few months I've been strongly considering getting a second job. At my current one, management keeps reducing the Pharmacy hours and since I'm on the bottom, I'm the one taking most of the hit. For a while there, when the one girl quit, I was getting near full time hours. I was happy about that despite still being stuck at my rather paltry wages. Now I'm down around half that and it's really not worth it for all the more I make. However, in 3 or 4 months, my benefits start. I don't want to give those up. So this is where a second job would come in, essentially giving me the hours I want and putting me over 40 hours a week. I could really use the extra income. I have to pay my Mom back for her pitching in with the Jetta as well as needing some things for myself. I figure two low paying jobs are better than one and I doubt I could get too much better of a job considering my current situation.

Speaking of my situation, I'm trying to look into getting my GED soon. I've put it off for a good two years now and I don't think I can put it off for much longer. I've got to get on the ball so I can move on with my life. I've researched testing centers in the area as well as classes. Where I'm undecided here is whether I should try to attend actual classes or take online classes. I need to look into each more, to be honest, to know which would suit me better. As of now, however, for what I've got going on, the online classes seem to be a more fitting choice. On the other hand, classes held inside an classroom may be more effective at getting myself where I need to be for the test.

Lastly, this one is quite random, but does anyone have any good work out tips? Haha. I'm always trying to get into better shape but a few areas never fail to be stubborn. No matter what I do, I can't seem to improve my obliques and my sides in general. Most exercises I've tried only seem to help my abs, even if they're directed at those. As well, my thighs, while I feel they are where I want them to be strength wise, I'm finding it hard to burn fat off of them, despite how much I bike. I've wondered about running or swimming, but haven't tried those faithfully. Finally, there's my ass. It's flat. :P

2 jobs > 1 if you can handle the load. I work my primary full-time job, I kept my crappy pizza job for 6 hours on sundays, just for extra cash (it's enough to pay for a week's worth of gas and lunches) and I do s ide job working on a website for my former internship.

You should get a GED but also strongly consider looking into college of some sort. a GED or high school diploma is pretty much worthless. It's when you have an actual degree that you can find decent jobs, and much more quickly. I never took online classes, so I can't say how they are.

I don't work out nearly enough, so I got nothin' :P

Yes, get your GED and then you will be able to find a much better job.

But since I do understand why you need another job (the job that I quit back in February kept scaling back my hours to the point where I made absolutely nothing; about $120 dollars every two weeks down from $250 every two weeks before my hours were cut), try a few locally owned businesses, like a mom'n'pop-owned gas station.

Don't forget, there is always fast food as well. :P (If you don't want to go that route, I don't blame you one bit. I refuse to go there as well.)

GED is a must. Good luck with that. Does your local bookstore have any GED prep books with sample tests? If so, that's the route I'd go...much less time-intensive than classes, and cheaper as well. If not, they have several on Amazon.

As for working out...try squats. And running/walking. Biking isn't as effective at fat-burning as other forms of cardio, so try running. If you can take the machines, ellipticals are low-impact, but I personally prefer running on real ground. If you want to get cardio AND bigger glutes in one exercise, do the stair mill.

I'm proud of you for deciding to go get your GED. Do what you have to do to get that done. You have amazing talent, but unfortunately in this world you on't go anywhere unless you have a piece of paper that says you've spent a lot of your time and money on getting an education. Your GED is an important first step.

As far as getting in shape, I can lend a few pointers. You sound like you want to improve the appearance of your chest. Exercising will help to a point, but you'll hinder your progress if you don't change your diet as well. I could write paragraphs on this, but basically you have to eat the right types and quantities of food to support the amount of exercise you do during the day. That includes carbs, proteins, simple sugars, and even essential fats. Here's a tip to start out with: cut out the obvious bad stuff (fast food, candy, cake, soft drinks, etc) and if necessary replace some of it with healthier food like fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Then practice portion control. Keep this in mind: your brain sends the "I'm full" sensation about a half hour or so after you're actually full. So eat ONE serving, and wait a while before deciding if you need another. On days you exercise, you'll need more food, and on days you don't you'll need less. Your body will only store as fat what it does not burn. As you put this into practice, you will gravitate towards your ideal weight and you'll see more definition where you want it.

As far as specific exercises for the area you mentioned, you could try rowing or kayaking to work the areas you mentioned. In general, I would say pick an exercise that gives you enjoyment so that it won't feel like exercise.

Whatever you do, do it NOW. Good habits (as well as bad) are formed in your early twenties. Get into some form of diet or exercise regimen when Mother Nature still smiles upon you, even though you clearly DON'T need it yet.

That way, when you get to, ahem, 29, for example, and Mother Nature decides she has no use for you, you will be able to soldier on without her - well into your, ahem, forties. And beyond.

Maybe you should gert a second job being a waiter? I've waited during highschool for good money and then later bartended (still do) on top of my day job for extra income. Plus the hourly payis awful whic is good tax wise since the tips which are the vast majority of these jobs are cash and can't be taxed unless you report them.

As for working out I would recommend rowing on an ERG machine for what you said. It will work your lats and obliques very well and is a great cardio workout, actually its a great full body workout in general too. Also it's low impact. As for your but deep squats with good form and heavy, but not too heavy, weight is the key.