1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible

Not that I really should be looking for another "toy" at this time, but I've seen the following 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible for sale in the last couple of issues of the local Auto Shopper and it catches my eye each time:

3043848203.jpg

1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible, 118k miles, black leather, V8, auto trans, $5995

Now I've always liked the 1991 & 1992 Trans Ams (especially the GTA models), so when I find one for sale I tend to at least check it out. I think I'd prefer a T-top coupe more, but for a "toy" car I wouldn't rule out a convertible. Any advice on this T/A? Not sure if I'd do anything about it, but I always like to learn about the cars I like anyway :AH-HA_wink:

Wow. Pretty car! I would love to own that ride, and I think you will see these be highly collectible later on in life, and you will get to enjoy it while it appreciates. Provided it is not beat to death, the interior is not fitted with MONSTER CABLE and two sub boxes in the back seats, I would snap it up. The 1992 was the last of this body style, and as most of us know, those are usually the BEST ONES off the line when it comes to GM products.

What engine is in it? Tuned Port or TBI 305? V6? Any more images of this babe?

So, if it is in good shape, all there, not cut up - then heck yeah, snap it up! Probably offer something around $4700 for it without a trade, maybe go a little lower, who knows! From what I have heard, these are relatively bullet proof rides.

Well, aside from the fact that I never liked the 91-92 Firebird nose, that's a very nice car. The TPI engine from what I remember is a pretty sturdy engine that'll hold up for a long time if you keep up with PM. They also respond very well to even light modifications. 330hp is possible without touching the bottom end.

The F body convertibles were contracted out to ASC. They have the distinction of weighing exactly the same as their fixed roof counterparts. The added weight for enforcing the car as a convertible is negated by the removal of the huge heav glass hatch.

I e-mailed them asking for additional photos, but have not heard back from them yet. This is the Trans Am model, so it either has the 5.0 V8 or the 5.7 V8. I think it would be a cool car to tool around in for fun in the warm months, plus be cheap enough to own (unlike the SKY proved to be). Plus being a four-seater will allow the entire family to enjoy it and means we could go more places all together. Again, financially I shouldn't be looking for any "toy" like this, but you have to act when you can! I'll see what happens once the dealer contacts me back by e-mail.

I don't see the badges, but it looks like a GTA and they are pretty rare (especially as a vert).

Could be a nice buy.

I do know for fact that 1991 and 1992 Pontiac F-body convertibles were offered only as Firebird (V6 std & optional 5.0L V8) and Trans Am (5.0L V8 std) packages only - the Formula & GTA packages were not available at all (could it have been due to the power & torque output of the 5.7L V8 making T-top & convertible cars too flexible?). The Trans Am convertible did get the fancier T/A & GTA taillights, versus the Firebird Convetible getting the "basic" taillight treatment. If you look close enough, the aero panel on the door does say "Trans Am" just like on the coupes. Equipment & options for the T/A Convertible had to be similar to the T/A Coupe & GTA... I'm sure though that the WS6 package was not available though.

Personally, I love the '91 & '92 Trans Ams the best of the 3rd generation cars (closely followed by the '87-'90 GTA Trans Ams). Where I grew up there was a local Pontiac dealer that I would often ride my bike up to to see the "new" cars (this was between '88 and '91). I remember getting there one day in late-summer 1990 as a carrier was unloading a brand new 1991 Trans Am GTA coupe in the dark forrest green & tan leather (the '90 T/A's ened prodcution early <early winter if I remember correctly> so that the newly restytled '91s would come to market in spring of '90). The salesman saw how awestruck I was that he went inside, grabbed the separate new-for-1991 Firebird brochure and offered it to me. He then asked if I wanted to trade in my 10-speed bike on the GTA being delivered! Being 15 y-o at the time with a driver's license two years away, I didn't find his humor funny at all :duck: Since then I have vowed to own a '91 or '92 T/A or GTA. Even when I had my '95 T/A back in '98-'99, when I attended Camaro & Firebird shows with it I would drool over the few '91 and/or '92 T/A's & GTAs on display. I could see this T/A convertible being a perfect fit for a "toy car" :D

WOW! :wub:

Why is that car not in your driveway like yesterday!?!?

One of my best friends, and fellow 1950s car nut Duffy bought

a 1991 GTA "hardtop" (steel roof coupe, TPI350-auto) at 60K

miles and drove it as his daily driver until 2006, when he

replaced it w/ his (one & only car, 80 miles a day daily driver)

1961 Rambler American.

IIRC the GTA had 140,000 on it... I was sad to hear he got rid

of it, living in Arizona he could have just parked it under a

carport for a while... :(

He loves telling people that his one and only car is the Rambler

he bought with like 30K original miles but I'm sure he misses

that '91 GTA from time to time.

Many a time and dozens of gallons of Sunoco 94 was burned off

in his GTA stop light racing my '68 Camaro. We had a drag-race

one day just about a week after I bought the '68, that lasted

about 4 miles, both of us pushing 100mph on a 2-lane highway,

then down a twisty-backwoods road where due to his reason and

common sense, and my stupidity and lack of fear & respect for

my over-powered car, I lost him and got so far ahead that I was

able to sneak into a side road, pull a J-turn, and wait for him to

blow past only to come out on the "cat" end of our cat-n-mouse

game we were playing...

Ahhh... good times. 2002 AD, when gas was $1.80/gallon & my

1968 "Panther" Camaro was the only responsibility I had.... xcept

for my girlfriend and rent.

Time marches on.

Not that I really should be looking for another "toy" at this time, but I've seen the following 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible for sale in the last couple of issues of the local Auto Shopper and it catches my eye each time:

3043848203.jpg

1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible, 118k miles, black leather, V8, auto trans, $5995

Now I've always liked the 1991 & 1992 Trans Ams (especially the GTA models), so when I find one for sale I tend to at least check it out. I think I'd prefer a T-top coupe more, but for a "toy" car I wouldn't rule out a convertible. Any advice on this T/A? Not sure if I'd do anything about it, but I always like to learn about the cars I like anyway :AH-HA_wink:

As a huge fan of ragtops and pontiacs, all I can ask is "why is this car not in your garage?"

IIRC pretty much all third gen Camaro/Firebird ragtops were pretty low production.

Get that convertible, you won't regret it.

Chris

To answer all of the "why is this car not in your garage?" questions, it's very simple = I don't *really* have the extra cash on hand right now. I have enough to put as a down payment, but I can't really afford the monthly payment and extra insurance costs. I constantly look, and if either my wife's credit union or my employer's credit union offered a great deal, I'd really look into it some more.

However, you never know what will happen in the near future, so I'm keeping my eye out on this one in the meantime and we'll see what happens (if it's still available in the fall, maybe they'll be more willing to deal on its price to move it before the winter arrives :AH-HA_wink: ).

Well, according to http://www.gtasourcepage.com/TransAmTimeLine.html, the T/A Convertible was only available with the 5.0L TPI V8 (205 HP with the auto trans) and 663 T/A Convertibles were produced during the '92 model year.

FWIW some individuals would purchase a 5.7 car and send it to ASC to perform the convertible conversion. The 8th digit is an 8 for the 5.7 and a F for the 5.0 TPI motors

A TBI 5.0 could also have been sent off for the conversion but is less likely. Be sure to find out the RPO code of the factory convertibles from some place like thirdgen.org . You don't want to take on someone else's project afterall.