Computer Nerds Needed.

So, I never did fix my computer. After 7 months, it's gotten to the point where my desktop works most of the time. However, it still has moments when it disappears. I've singled the issue down to the file rundll32.exe. I apparently have some bad .dll files that were added by the virus that my anti-virus software doesn't seem to detect. Specifically, there's one that keeps attacking my Mozilla Firefox and causing it close when it's being run. Before this, I got rid of a bad driver that was causing pop ups. I hoped it was the main cause of everything, but it wasn't. I always figured rundll32.exe was the problem itself, but it's where it should be and is obviously Windows software.

Anyways, what I need to know is how I can find out what all .dll's are being run by rundll32.exe. All I really found via google was to use to msconfig command, however, it doesn't tell me what to do once I have that up and I couldn't figure it out myself. If someone could tell me what to do beyond that point or if someone has another, possibly better way, I'd appreciate it.

i could agree with oldsmoboi.

if that's a last ditch decision, try finding registry mechanic, i've used it once, but only to delete unused stuffs. I use anti-vir @ free-av.com for my antivirus, haven't had a problem with it. maybe try running spybot S&D...?

Following the directions on this page might be of some help.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundll32.htm

Verify each process with Google and see if there is anything that should not be.

Truth be told though, if I were you, I'd be backing up the stuff I'd want to keep, make sure it's virus free, and do a full Windows reinstall. Get totally updated, and grab a copy of AVG Antivirus. It can take a day, but it'll be time well spent, and it'll save headaches in the future.

There might be a program that tells you more about a specific dll process, but I have forgotten what it was. Sometimes viruses and malware will show up in a process, other times they won't. Try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and TrendMicro Housecall. Those are both free and are good at detecting malware and viruses. The later is a browser based program. You can also try AVG Free Edition which is another good virus program. After updating the programs with the latest definitions, be sure to start up in safe mode (usually tap F8 during boot) and run them again.

Best advice is to reinstall Windows though. I do it once every other year or so, even though I have zero problems with malware. Windows gets a bit messy after a while, and even the best registry cleaning programs can't fix it entirely.

Edited by siegen