2009 Aveo5 - Anyone test drove it?

BenoA

My 1997 Chevy Venture is dying and I'm thinking getting a more fuel efficient vehicule.

I did some search on the web but could not find a real review of that new lil' car.

Anyone can comment?

BTW, if you are from the north across the border like me, you can comment on the 2009 Pontiac G3 wave too :CanadaEmoticon: . I do think that the Pontiac offering is even cuttier than the Chevy one.

Ok, now it's your turn to do the talking... :deathwatch:

I've driven the '09 5 door. The ecotec engine makes a difference. GM is claiming 9% fuel improvement. It's no rocket, but the horsepower increase is noticeable. Work has been done on the NVH aspect, too: bigger alternator, stuff like that. The interior is completely new on the 5 door, more derivative on the sedan. The Aveo finally has GM DNA: OnStar, XM radio and the ecotec motor. It makes the Yaris look sick(er), and when driven next to the Fit, is a very strong contender.

If you're used to a 6 cylinder, it will be a disapppointment, but for a microcar it is not an unpleasant experience.

Won't have the torque that your 3.4 did either. Not that a Venture was fact but driving one won't be a total drag. Get a 5spd. or at least I would in a small car. Better performance/accleration and fuel econo its a win win. By the way I would get the G3 Wave because its a Pontiac.

Won't have the torque that your 3.4 did either. Not that a Venture was fact but driving one won't be a total drag. Get a 5spd. or at least I would in a small car. Better performance/accleration and fuel econo its a win win. By the way I would get the G3 Wave because its a Pontiac.

True.

So I wonder why the Venture is dying?

I'd have to agree with you gm4life..the nose on the Aveo5 is pretty scarey...I think a Pontiac nose would be better... :yes:

So I wonder why the Venture is dying?

My 1997 Venture is dying of "rust"... That's pretty bad as the engine and tranny is still going well, but the whole body (mostly the front) is falling appart... Seems like not only mine is caught with that disease as I can see a lot of them here with that rust problem.

Anyway, I may change my mind. There is a Chevy dealer near my work, and I took a few minutes on lunch time to visit it.

They had no new 2009 Aveo5 in the showroom but they are right now having a clearance on the Uplander 2008...

For just a lil' bit more than a loaded Aveo5, I get a 7 seaters, A/C, electrical windows, CD+Mp3 aux input... OK, it drinks more fuel but I can go to the hardware store and bring back a few more things with the minivan...

• 2 weeks later...
My 1997 Venture is dying of "rust"... That's pretty bad as the engine and tranny is still going well, but the whole body (mostly the front) is falling appart... Seems like not only mine is caught with that disease as I can see a lot of them here with that rust problem.

Anyway, I may change my mind. There is a Chevy dealer near my work, and I took a few minutes on lunch time to visit it.

They had no new 2009 Aveo5 in the showroom but they are right now having a clearance on the Uplander 2008...

For just a lil' bit more than a loaded Aveo5, I get a 7 seaters, A/C, electrical windows, CD+Mp3 aux input... OK, it drinks more fuel but I can go to the hardware store and bring back a few more things with the minivan...

Ahh......

Yeah, and minivan might be better....

Though The Aveo looks better than I thought.....

if the uplander grabs your attention, then check used listings also. no doubt there will be great deals on lightly used uplanders as well.

I looked at these things yesterday...and to say that they did not trip my trigger is an understatement. I think of safety first, and if I was to drive one of these things, I would first reach into the hoodlet and unplug the airbad relays...all of them. If I was in an accident with that little turd (or any of these small cars in this class) I certainly do not want to live through the experience of getting run over by whatever larger vehicle hits me thanks to an inflatable restraint. :yikes:

For a couple g's more, the Saturn Astra was on the lot down the street and it had usable space in it, felt funky sporty, and was at least attractive to look at. And when I look at a New Aveo 5 for $16k, I start looking over to the used lot and see things like DeVilles, LeSabres, Park Avenues and the Bonneville all falling in the same price line...and the micro car segment is QUICKLY forgotten.

BenoA, if you're :CanadaEmoticon: , you may want to consider the Cobalt instead. With the $2k in stackable credits (and free sunroof on the 'Team Canada Edition) the payment on the Cobalt is only about $15 a month more than the Aveo LT Team Canada. For the difference, you're getting about 40 hp more, 1 mpg less, side airbags, ABS, traction control, 16" alloys, automatic headlights,OnStar for a year and a host of other stuff. The '09 Cobalt is a blast to drive.

Don't listen to the crap about airbags. In a small car, the more airbags the better.

Also, the Uplander is being whored out for around $16k here, which (if you're paying cash) is actually cheaper than the Aveo LT.