Rick Wagoner and Bob Lutz on Charlie Rose Show PBS

I was watching some of it. not to toot my own horn, but it was interesting to see him [Lutz] use some of the arguments I've made here for why GM fails. in particular the phsycology the automobile takes over one person, and it becomes an extension of one's self, a tool for our expression. also, a two year old used car can fulfill the need quotient, and GM was only building things in cars people needed, basic needs, as opposed to what they wanted [since I started using that mantra years ago, it's gone on to become more widely used, again, not to toot my own horn :AH-HA_wink:

It's interesting, if not humorous, to read a lot of the anti-GM comments on the website. This is the kind of Tomfoolery thinking that GM has to deal with - a strong sentiment, especially from the left - that considers GM as being full of $h! . They have to figure out how to convey the message that Toyota is just as guilty as they are for jumping on the high profit truck/SUV gravy train. People are dumber than $h! when it comes to the auto industry and what it truly looks like in North America, and they need to do a better job of getting the message out that: A) their products are good and competitive with Honda/Toyota and that B) they sell fuel efficient cars. Without that, they're f@#ked.

They need a better PR/marketing department - PERIOD.

Edited by gmcbob

It's interesting, if not humorous, to read a lot of the anti-GM comments on the website. This is the kind of Tomfoolery thinking that GM has to deal with - a strong sentiment, especially from the left - that considers GM as being full of $h! . They have to figure out how to convey the message that Toyota is just as guilty as they are for jumping on the high profit truck/SUV gravy train. People are dumber than $h! when it comes to the auto industry and what it truly looks like in North America, and they need to do a better job of getting the message out that: A) their products are good and competitive with Honda/Toyota and that B) they sell fuel efficient cars. Without that, they're f@#ked.

people think GM is dumber than $h!, and the problem is, considering how much and how long and how stupidly the company has floundered, they really do seem that way

It's more than mere perception...its the ghost of sh!tty cars past that perpetuates the negative perception. Along with a marketing and PR dept that couldn't sell fire extinguishers in a burning building. And an admission with entries such as the Aveo or Cobalt that GM doesn't take fuel efficiency seriously. (Or at least they don't respect the customers that value FE) The Civic and Fit are simply generations ahead of the Chevy product in that sector---it's simply not even close.

Please stop with the GM is 'just as good as' stuff---they have a bad rep based on history, make mediocre car product (on average) and don't know how to sell it right. Why is the result surprising?

I absolutely LOVE what Lutz says in his interview at 20:34-22:15.

It enforces his quote in my sig.

Yes 'TED', perhaps, but I think they feel that their discernings are unquestionably impeccable as well. Like wine snobs. Know any of those?

I can only dream of being that boorish. :mind-blowing:

Edited by longtooth

were all kind of tired of the dump on GM bull$h!. GM is like everyone else...some products excel, some don't, and they all can use better marketing and faster refreshes.

why do we continually need to keep beating the dead fking horse on this?

can we move on? this crap is so old and tired.

were all kind of tired of the dump on GM bull$h!. GM is like everyone else...some products excel, some don't, and they all can use better marketing and faster refreshes.

why do we continually need to keep beating the dead fking horse on this?

can we move on? this crap is so old and tired.

Until they act in a matter appropriate to the situation, I'm going to continue to criticize a historically awful management team. Not just bad, but B-school textbook bad. I'm not sure you're aware how close to the abyss GM is currently teetering.

I'd like to see the patient saved, personally.