Missed Opportunity

ocnblu

This morning, as I was walking back to the office after taking two totaled cars across the street to our holding yard, I noticed a sweet little car pull up in front of the showroom. A little old man and lady got out and headed for the front door. The car? A 1978 Malibu Classic coupe, gray and silver two tone. I was amazed, but kept on walking. It just didn't register with me that this car was about to be traded in, I mean, who would bother? I admired it from afar and continued with my day. Then, late this afternoon, I happened to be on the other side of our building from where our office is, and there sits the car, no license plate. I am immediately excited and start looking it over closely. It must have been garage kept, because even the rubber belt moldings are still soft and supple, and the interior? As if no one sat in it for the last 30 years... red cloth bench seat, perfect dashboard with no cracks. A couple of minor dents on the outside, but otherwise, the car is perfect... NO rust whatsoever anywhere.

I rushed in to our sales manager's office, knocked on the door and inquired about the sweet little car. Turns out it is a one owner car with a 305, A/C, and 64k original miles! OMG!!! Then the wind is knocked out of me when he says a kid from the small restoration shop across the street saw the old couple drive up in it, inquired, and bought it for FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS from our dealership owner.

I am crushed. I would so love to have that little gem, honestly. My only hope is if the kid cannot get the money together (and you know what he'll do with the little Mali if he gets his mitts on it), maybe I can snatch it up. It was still on our lot when I left, and our owner was gone for the night at that point. First thing in the morning when I see him I am going to ask about it.

I wish he would have given his own employees first refusal before just letting a sweet little car like that slip away... :(

Edited by ocnblu

I rushed in to our sales manager's office, knocked on the door and inquired about the sweet little car. Turns out it is a one owner car with a 305, A/C, and 64k original miles! OMG!!! Then the wind is knocked out of me when he says a kid from the small restoration shop across the street saw the old couple drive up in it, inquired, and bought it for FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS from our dealership owner. :(

Holy...crap.

The dealership's owner sold that car for $500??? That owner must not be worried about business...because, as you've described it, ocn, that Malibu can go for a LOT more than that.

I agree with the others...do SOMETHING to GET THAT CAR! I'd love to see pics of it!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I saw an old Malibu" ... Doug Stone ... 'I Thought It Was You'

Damn ocn... you better be ready to do something about this tomorrow. You know the saying... "Cash talks, B------t walks!" Don;t let this slip away. That kid will more than likely destroy such a well-kept vehicle. Even I have $600 to my name that I could buy the car with... just saying! :AH-HA_wink:

Well, as soon as he came in this morning, I went up to his office and asked about the car. He said, "Why would you want THAT thing?" I thought to myself "WTF!!!" He said "Our wholesaler didn't even want it, he wanted to crush it." I told him I'd go to the bank immediately and come back with $600 if they end up not taking the car. He was shocked. So was I. He said he'd let me know if they back out.

Six agonizing hours later... it was finally gone. They picked it up. Heavy sigh. If only he had a clue of what he had, and how long I've been dreaming of finding one in decent shape, let alone as nice as this one was.

Edited by ocnblu

Well, as soon as he came in this morning, I went up to his office and asked about the car. He said, "Why would you want THAT thing?" I thought to myself "WTF!!!" He said "Our wholesaler didn't even want it, he wanted to crush it." I told him I'd go to the bank immediately and come back with $600 if they end up not taking the car. He was shocked. So was I. He said he'd let me know if they back out.

Six agonizing hours later... it was finally gone. They picked it up. Heavy sigh. If only he had a clue of what he had, and how long I've been dreaming of finding one in decent shape, let alone as nice as this one was.

SO?!? GO TALK TO THE GUY AND SEE IF HE'D LIKE TO MAKE A $100 PROFIT ON THE CAR!!

He paid $500, and you're offering $600...he doesn't know you know all that.

I have pretty good eyes, sir. No need for the Reader's Digest large print there, budro. Now think about it, the kid knows he got a smokin' deal on this car for $500, he knows it is worth much more to him. You really think he wouldn't laugh if I offer him $600 measly dollars? Good Lord.

I have pretty good eyes, sir. No need for the Reader's Digest large print there, budro. Now think about it, the kid knows he got a smokin' deal on this car for $500, he knows it is worth much more to him. You really think he wouldn't laugh if I offer him $600 measly dollars? Good Lord.

Don't know if you don't try.

Good luck O.B. you should at least try to see if you can talk to the new owner. :)

If you guys only knew what I payed for some of my classics... :lol:

There's been times I've thought that I'd squeezed blood from a rock

and yet I still manage to outdo myself from time to time.

Holy...crap.

The dealership's owner sold that car for $500??? That owner must not be worried about business...because, as you've described it, ocn, that Malibu can go for a LOT more than that.

I agree with the others...do SOMETHING to GET THAT CAR! I'd love to see pics of it!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I saw an old Malibu" ... Doug Stone ... 'I Thought It Was You'

To a dealer, a car like that is worthless. How many people would buy a 30 year old car for $5k? I had a customer try to trade a '74 LeSabre coupe that was in stunning shape. I told him to put it in the Old Car AutoTrader because it may be worth $4k to the right person but a dealer isn't going to take a chance on that.