Insignia Sports Tourer launched in Paris

Funny they're putting style over function in a station wagon. Instead of making the taillights quarter panel-mounted so they'd be visible with the gate open or closed, the primary taillights are on the gate, so if extra-long objects need to be hauled with the gate open, they are worthless, requiring the extra complexity of TWO COMPLETE sets of taillights... extra wiring, bulbs, lenses, and robbing space for cargo. That's German engineering!

O.B. I was actually just about to post how I like that idea and I did a sketch of

a wagon back in high school.... 11, maye 12 or13 years ago of this exact

idea, though I think a very basic, thin LED strip (running lights and brake lights)

inboard of the weatherstripping would work as well while eliminating some cost.

Also: same basic idea would benefit pickup trucks.

Funny they're putting style over function in a station wagon. Instead of making the taillights quarter panel-mounted so they'd be visible with the gate open or closed, the primary taillights are on the gate, so if extra-long objects need to be hauled with the gate open, they are worthless, requiring the extra complexity of TWO COMPLETE sets of taillights... extra wiring, bulbs, lenses, and robbing space for cargo. That's German engineering!

It's probably illegal to drive w/ the gate open and stuff hanging out in the EU. Come to think of it, German wagons and SUVs(Audi, Merc, BMW, usually have the lights in the quarter panel and gate....--the Q7 has them completely in the gate..

And yet another vehicle that will not make it's way to this side of the ocean. If someone gets their head out of their A** and changes their mind I doubt it would come over intact and would be castrated of features and styling.

Sorry for the rant....

On a side note, I think it looks fantastic. With the way the hatch wraps around into the quarter panels, I see no way to only have a single pair of rear lights. Having the clam shell design hatch really opens up the entry to the cargo space.

Edited by endeavorc