Big oil is behind ethanol's bad press

Linkity

"Big oil is behind ethanol's bad press"

Posted Oct 29th 2008 at 11:47AM by Xavier Navarro

Filed under: Etc., Ethanol, European Union

"Big oil is behind ethanol's bad press." That's what Javier Salgado, CEO of Abengoa Bioenergy, one of Europe's leading ethanol producers, said in an interview published in Econoticias. Salgado took on more than big oil as he counteracted all the negative press ethanol is receiving from all sides. First of all he, claimed that biofuels were not responsible for the rise in food prices, given that prices have now come down yet we are using more biofuel than ever. His opinion is that the rise in oil prices was to blame. He even suggests that food companies aren't likely to lower prices now that feedstocks are back to more reasonable prices.

So why are so many voices raised against biofuels? Salgado said that it's because big oil companies are threatened by the expansion of biofuels. According to him, ethanol - which is already at five percent of the market in the U.S. - is taking sales away from gasoline. This can only make big oil companies angry and do "whatever they can" to avoid the expansion of biofuels in order to keep their market share. Speaking about Spain, where Abengoa Bioenergy is based, Salgado stated that the country has no more ethanol fuel pumps because most gas stations belong to big oil companies. There, that should get people talking.

Edited by smallchevy

Yup, I think that says it pretty clearly, other than completing the sentence:

His opinion is that the rise in oil prices was to blame because of the increase in production and transportation costs increased food costs, not the relatively small changes in grain costs.

'bout time someone said this.

+1. Too bad most people won't check this out for themselves. Regardless of who wins in November, we need to get Big Oil and their lobbyists OUT of control in Washington.

Chris :convertible:

+1. Too bad most people won't check this out for themselves. Regardless of who wins in November, we need to get Big Oil and their lobbyists OUT of control in Washington.

Chris :convertible:

Yes...the corrupt scum that run oil companies are afraid they won't make record profits anymore if alternative fuels that they don't control take off..

Like I have said before, oil needs a competitor and a viable one, one that can sustain profitable and cheap alternative to oil at $1.00/ gallon.

Hopefully this will equate into something good.

On a side note: Does anyone feel that if gas stays at $2.20 odd till 2010, Volt and GM are screwed?

Edited by smallchevy

Like I have said before, oil needs a competitor and a viable one, one that can sustain profitable and cheap alternative to oil at $1.00/ gallon.

Hopefully this will equate into something good. Does anyone else feel that if gas stays at $2.20 odd, Volt and GM are screwed?

I think the Volt in order to succeed is going to have to be marketed like the Prius---emphasize the green angle more than just MPG. (regardless of the gas price).

I'm sure gas prices will be back at $4 or more next summer....

I feel as though GM is screwed anyways...pretty much.

But I don't think Oil will stay that low. I think the people buying new F-150's and Tundras are the ones who will be screwed.

Chris

I feel as though GM is screwed anyways...pretty much.

But I don't think Oil will stay that low. I think the people buying new F-150's and Tundras are the ones who will be screwed.

Chris

It's going to go back up, I'm sure...the last few years, the price has always spiked in May. It would be pretty short sighted to buy a gas guzzler now (but then again, Americans aren't known for thinking for the long term).

>>"I'm sure gas prices will be back at $4 or more next summer...."<<

It's just not that seasonal. This past sumer's $4/gal was NOT related to the appearance of robins, either.

The recession is not going to encourage a doubling-plus run on oil by next spring- everyone is saying '10 before we see a decisive economic upturn.

Yes...the corrupt scum that run oil companies are afraid they won't make record profits anymore if alternative fuels that they don't control take off..

that's why you got to get big money out of gov't.... the FED.

I'm all for competition, but i don't want to pay twice for a product... anything that is subsidized.