Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A Horse With No Name

While we are on the subject of "big money" GM cars on fleabay...

16 posts in this topic

Off-the-charts. Like the little kid who trips over a 50-carat diamond. What. A. Car. :bowdown:

damn.... If i knew now what i did back then.

I was watching this one. Amazing eBay story, one for the books. Car is one of 8 coupes factory-built, long missing.

1 restored wagon sold for $462K earlier this year and a coupe sold for $500K - short of a Pontiac concept car, this is the top shelf for collectors, the Super Duty 421 Tempest / LeMans cars, eclipsing even the 14 Swiss Cheese Catalinas. There's 2 coupes left to find; 1 unknown, 1 bought by mercedes in '63 to learn how to build a performance engine. 6 years later, mercedes introduced the famous 6.9 V-8, otherwise known as the Mercedes... 421. :P

I was watching this one. Amazing eBay story, one for the books. Car is one of 8 coupes factory-built, long missing.

1 restored wagon sold for $462K earlier this year and a coupe sold for $500K - short of a Pontiac concept car, this is the top shelf for collectors, the Super Duty 421 Tempest / LeMans cars, eclipsing even the 14 Swiss Cheese Catalinas. There's 2 coupes left to find; 1 unknown, 1 bought by mercedes in '63 to learn how to build a performance engine. 6 years later, mercedes introduced the famous 6.9 V-8, otherwise known as the Mercedes... 421. :P

Actually, the Merceds 6.3 V8 came out in '63 in the 600 limo...the 300SEL 6.3 sedan started as a private venture in '66, factory model from '68-72. The 450SEL 6.9 came later, starting in '75.

Pretty amazing.... if that were just an ordinary LeMans, it would probably go for 1/100th that price...it's in pretty sad shape.

Waste of money and I don't care how rare it is. Now if it was a 1972 GTO pillar coupe with the 455ci. H.O. Muncie 4spd. honey-comb wheels and factory sports stripe with every factory option that might be more easily justifiable. I love the 1972 GTO's my favorite muscle car closely followed by the 70-71's and the 70-72 Buick GS's and Olds 442's. I also like the Chevelle/El Camino SS 454 from 70-72 also.

For a 40-some-yr old car- that's not in 'sad shape' at all. Completely unmolested except for the replaced axle. Body is very solid. Original transaxle & aluminum front clip have been 'connected' with the new buyer, and a top-shelf resto is in the works. Poking around on the net, the only other completely restored coupe sold for circa $700K, not $500K.

For a 40-some-yr old car- that's not in 'sad shape' at all. Completely unmolested except for the replaced axle. Body is very solid. Original transaxle & aluminum front clip have been 'connected' with the new buyer, and a top-shelf resto is in the works. Poking around on the net, the only other completely restored coupe sold for circa $700K, not $500K.

Looks pretty rusty underneath, though... I'm sure it will appear at Barrett-Jackson or another auction in a year or two full restored and go for serious $$$.

With only 3K miles on it, that's merely surface rust - not an issue. Very good steel used back then; not impervious to continual exposure of course, but strong & thick enough to last a good long while. With 3K and being inside since the '60s- it looks like a lot of rust, but I'd guarantee it's rock solid.

My B-59 had 103K on it, just as much surface rust, and the frame there had zero structural issues; I did NOT have to patch or weld on it. Buick built a pretty massive frame, tho...

Just glad that it is going to be getting the resto it deserves...

Chris

Quarter of a million dollar$? Gesus Krist.

Still, 'm glad it's in existance, & will now

get saved & preserved for future

generations. Not that mot of them will

appreciate this since they'll be busy

driving Scion suX mini-mini-vans &

Acura Civic i-Vtec-DI-HXF-LX hybrids.

Personally for a 1/4 million I'd be rockin'

either a V-16 Cadillac ...or a HOUSE! :P

Waste of money and I don't care how rare it is. Now if it was a 1972 GTO pillar coupe with the 455ci. H.O. Muncie 4spd. honey-comb wheels and factory sports stripe with every factory option that might be more easily justifiable. I love the 1972 GTO's my favorite muscle car closely followed by the 70-71's and the 70-72 Buick GS's and Olds 442's. I also like the Chevelle/El Camino SS 454 from 70-72 also.

The 1972 GTO is IMHO hideous while the '70 is perfect.

1972%20GTO.jpg

1970 was perfection, the '71/'72 nose is ugly as sin to me.

Different strokes for different strokes. :P

291mgp1.jpg

Yea, umm, GM4life - did you miss that this is a 1-of-8 Pontiac-built Super Duty 421 race cars, 1200+ lbs lighter than a GTO with roughly 470 HP? These are low 11-sec cars in factory trim (read: no traction). Liking the style of the '71-72 GTO is all well and good, but to mention a mass-production muscle car such as that in connection with valuation and this car is seriously off the mark.

The 1972 GTO is IMHO hideous while the '70 is perfect.

1972%20GTO.jpg

I wouldn't exactly kick either one of them "out of bed"

Actually I really like the 71-72 GTO. It took a long time to grow on me though.

The Orbit Orange on the 70 is sweet.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0