BMW M3 recalled over new double-clutch gearbox

Drew Dowdell

BMW M3 recalled over new double-clutch gearbox

09-m3_dct_opt.jpg

Dual clutch transmission... sounds complicated. And it is. Case in point: BMW's new DCT on its latest-generation M3. This new transmission from Munich is so complicated that apparently even BMW couldn't get it right the first time, so they're issuing a recall. The problem, as concluded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, is that under hard braking the transmission's software is prone to initiate a multi-stage downshift, which could cause the car to stall. The solution, however, should be fairly simple, as BMW is asking all owners of 2008 or 2009 M3s equipped with the DCT (about 2,500 in the United States) to come in for a software update, free of charge, at their local dealership. After the software update, M3 owners can perform all the panic stops they want in smooth-shifting bliss.

I don't want a BMW, I just recognize them as being the performance standard that everyone else is chasing. If a software issue was the only problem that isn't that bad, it will be years (if ever) before Cadillac or Lexus get a double clutch transmission.

I don't want a BMW, I just recognize them as being the performance standard that everyone else is chasing. If a software issue was the only problem that isn't that bad, it will be years (if ever) before Cadillac or Lexus get a double clutch transmission.

And what would your response have been if Cadillac had released a double clutch transmission that needed a recall?

Meh...in a BMW, or any performance car, I want a real manual transmission.

The Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup cars use a DSG (semi-autotrajic style self shifting gearbox) and some modern Ferrari's come with an automatic/paddle shifting tranny.

However, I passed on God's own original clean IROC Camaro this week because it was autotrajic.

Chris :iroc-dragster:

And what would your response have been if Cadillac had released a double clutch transmission that needed a recall?

Same, a software update is minor, Cadillac has recalled cars in the past for dumb stuff also. My problem with Cadillac is the CTS is too big (and heavy) for it's price, the DTS, STS, XLR, SRX are all dated and uninspired. And Hyundai's engine is better than the Northstar.

Actually I don't think the CTS is too big and heavy...

Chris

Too big to compete in performance with a 3-series. Perfect size to challenge the TL, S80, and ES350 snooze-mobile luxury sedans. The CTS awd is over 4100 pounds, driving it feels almost like an SUV, the weight is very noticeable and I am used to a 3880 pound Aurora. The 5-series is much more quick and agile feeling.

5-series AWD is also right around 4100 lbs. It is also the perfect size to challenge the aforementioned snooze-mobile luxury sedans.

535xi with auto is 3946 lbs, that is the heaviest awd 5-series built. A 528i xDrive is 3704 lbs, 400 less than the CTS. CTS is overweight. And you feel it if you drive the two back to back.