Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What Car is This?

Good one. So damn sexy. This one is pretty easy to figure out.

Sixty8, I thought you or Balthazar would get it quick...was going to camo it but thought I'd leave it as is. And I agree, this is a stealthy stunner. It has a stance and presence much like luxury marques of the 1930s. Edited by HarleyEarl

I knew it right off but I feel bad always blurting out the answer 'quick'. I enjoy reading the wild guesser's post (smacking myself in the forehead at some of the answers). Anything domestic from the '40s to the '70s really isn't a challenge to me anyway.... I am getting damned close to having 'seen it all' from that era.

It's the 1973 Pontiac Phantom.

[post="3174"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You got it right Chris....just a correction though. It was done in 1977. It was the creation of Bill Mitchell, former styling director of General Motors. It was based on a Grand Prix platform.

You got it right Chris....just a correction though.  It was done in 1977.  It was the creation of Bill Mitchell, former styling director of General Motors.  It was based on a Grand Prix platform.

[post="3179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I have a not so great concept car book which happens to have that in it. It says it's a 1973, but I would not be suprised if it is wrong.

The nose and hood betray this as a Poncho. Althought the chrome detailing is a bit Oldsmobile inspired and the wheel wells remind me of the 50s Buicks'... the fact that they're rd are a giveaway thoguh.

Posted Image

...that's a great shot, sixty8, I was looking for something like that.
The GM Photo Store has a great photo of it as well. And speaking of that, if some of you have never been to that site, some great GM stuff there:

http://www.gmphotostore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=53217644 Edited by HarleyEarl

Isn't there some history at Oldsmobile with red wheelwells too? Hmmm... I don't remember for sure.

That's a very sleek looking concept, and shows Bill Mitchell's personal taste... he had excellent taste, imo, and he helped make GM the style setter for decades.

Earl & Mitchell had more talent in their pinkys than todays' whole damn Automotive industry combined!

Earl & Mitchell had more talent in their pinkys than todays' whole damn Automotive industry combined!

[post="3281"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

.....it was almost surreal the talent these two men had, like they weren't of the human race. Just look at their incredible design legacy. It's unmatched.

...that's a great shot, sixty8, I was looking for something like that. 
The GM Photo Store has a great photo of it as well.   And speaking of that, if some of you have never been to that site, some great GM stuff there:

http://www.gmphotostore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=53217644

[post="3257"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The photostore says 1977, but some sites and books have it as 1973. Who is right?
The Phantom is an incredible car, with styling that would work today.

It's a '77.

Mitchell designed this as his final dream car before his retirement. The 2/2003 High Performance Pontiac has a 3 1/2 page article on it. Mitchell wanted to make it drivable for his retirement years, but GM pres Estes denied his request (they had had some battles royale that strained their relationship). It was 'get rid of it or it'll be destroyed' and has been owned by the Alfred P Sloan Museum in Flint MI since circa '78.

>>"It was based on a Grand Prix platform.
Don't think so. This one was a true 'pusher': it has a wooden frame and straight steel tube "axles". Body is fiberglas. Edited by balthazar

Here's one that some of you may never have seen. user posted image user posted image

And if you didn't like that one, maybe this one!

Posted Image

Posted Image

.....it was almost surreal the talent these two men had, like they weren't of the human race.  Just look at their incredible design legacy.  It's unmatched.

[post="3287"][/post]

Roswell, 1948. That's all I'm saying. ;)

Posted Image