Obesity tax?

Satty

Being as insurance companies are for profit companies, I also advocate a mixed system of public health insurance with the money directed to hospitals, who would then compete with each other like in a private healthcare system. Hospitals would be allocated funds from the public purse, based on per capita patients served, with bonuses based on efficiencies and Customer Satisfaction (surveys to be sent to patients, just like GM does to us.) Good doctors would be attracted to good hospitals, bad hospitals would see their client base (and funds) drop, which would cause their board to fire the administrators and get better management, etc. Internet government postings of hospital and doctor 'ratings,' would ensure a competitive system where quality of healthcare would be balanced by watching costs.

Of course, this makes too much sense. Unions want Big Government to control healthcare in Canada (which really results in more paperwork, less productivity) and private health insurance providers in the States are too powerful and have too many lobbyists on Capitol Hill.

your rating system sounds like how "voting" should be, newspapers, or other media, show what their elected officials have done every year and have a questionaire with it...when the officials get lower than a certain %... say%50 then they should be able to be voted out quickly and with no compensation and replaced

this way kinda has problems too, but could be considered by many, "fair" as well.

I find the whole obesity thing interesting......and mostly sad. What's ironic is taking notice of most of the people I see in the gym.....when I go, the vast majority of the people in the gym......are people in decent/good/great shape.

I hardly ever see obese people in the gym (in other words....trying to exercise and lose weight.)

Those that lean on the genetics explanation......fine......but how many of them are actually active, exercising, eating properly? I'm betting not many of them at all.

BTW.....I don't consider "a little extra weight" (like some of us on here have described ourselves in this thread) to be the same as "obesity".....at least relative to my post.....

It depends on the gym, OC. I see lots of heffers at mine. The gym sells them 'packages', then hooks some 230 lb old bag with a 22 year old college 'Master Trainer,' then she lifts 5 lbs of weights while oggling the kid's crotch and telling him her entire life story. Usually retired school teaches, by the looks of them.

Meanwhile, the rest of us who are serious, have to wait 5 minutes for the equipment. I see the same cellute-ridden cow there every January: in the 6 years I've been going to this same gym she still looks like the south end of a moose going north. Frankly, the gym should be ashamed of themselves for taking her money.

It depends on the gym, OC. I see lots of heffers at mine. The gym sells them 'packages', then hooks some 230 lb old bag with a 22 year old college 'Master Trainer,' then she lifts 5 lbs of weights while oggling the kid's crotch and telling him her entire life story. Usually retired school teaches, by the looks of them.

Meanwhile, the rest of us who are serious, have to wait 5 minutes for the equipment. I see the same cellute-ridden cow there every January: in the 6 years I've been going to this same gym she still looks like the south end of a moose going north. Frankly, the gym should be ashamed of themselves for taking her money.

:lol:

I've noticed that too, O.C. I've noticed that in spite of the large number of heavy/obese people who work in the corporate complex, the only people I ever see in the gym are a few of the middle aged warehouse guys (mostly ex-military) and the hot girls from the call center. Its $4/week, so its not as if its cost prohibitive, although I learned that if I flirt with the right person in HR, I can keep getting weekly guest passes. I'll admit that I've let myself slip a little since the weather started getting colder. I just weighed myself (ironically while holding a can of Pepsi) and I've gained about 10 pounds since October, and my body fat has jumped to 17.5% but once the weather starts to cooperate again, I'll get back to work to drop it. Its that last part most people have an issue with, they'd rather blame genetics or healthier food costing more (BS, an apple costs the same as a Snickers bar, eating nothing costs far less than snacking on potato chips, etc) than go jogging or hop on a treadmill.

BTW, situps are free. So is the sidewalk in front of your house, or the road that runs by your house. Pushups are free too, but I cant do more than 2 before my arm feels like it is going to pop out. Its true that gyms are more comfortable in the heat of summer or the chill of winter, and its true that the high tech equipment is expensive ($2500 for a Bowflex) and takes up space, but none of that is necessary to be healthy.

I've had free gym memberships (Ballys and then Golds) with companies I've worked at previously, but never really got into a pattern of going often... I'm not much a gym person myself, prefer to walk around the neighborhood and walk around downtown...not enough exercise, but some.

I've worked w/ people before that seem fanatical about training all the time--running every morning before work, running marathons on the weekend, biking every weekend, etc... maybe I'm lazy, but I just can't get interested in that..I'll admit I'm not athletic in the least, nor am a video gamer.

Edited by moltar

Some is better than sitting on the couch complaining about your "damned genetics" while you eat a deep fried Twinkie that you bought at Wal-Mart, but had a hard time getting because they're on the 3rd shelf up and you didn't want to get out of the electric shopping cart.

Some is better than sitting on the couch complaining about your "damned genetics" while you eat a deep fried Twinkie that you bought at Wal-Mart, but had a hard time getting because they're on the 3rd shelf up and you didn't want to get out of the electric shopping cart.

Definitely...I couldn't imagine living like some of the fat f*cks I see out there...I've maintained my weight, mildly pudgy, but I don't want to get any bigger.

I prefer to accomplish something while I'm working out.

For example, I LOVED working at UPS. It was one of the best damn workouts I could get, 5 days a week. My strength was probably the highest it's ever been.

I also love farm work. Each year we have to get hay for our horses (to feed them during the winter months) Nothin' better than getting a few of your best friends, going out to a field, throwing 600 bails of hay onto a truck(s) and then unloaqding/throwing/stacking the 600 bails in the 2 story barn.

Another good, productive workout is splitting and stacking wood. I used to do this a lot when we heated out house via wood stove. And I'm not talking about using a wood splitter, I'm talking about getting a go-devil and swinging it for 3-4 hours.

I don't do the commercial gym thing because I can't stand the meatheads there. I always either have some "trainer" harassing me or some cocky SOB 'sizing me up' because I'm so huge. I should do a study about gym membership and personal insecurity... The results would be interesting.

There has to be a better way to get fat people off of soda and to drink something more healthy. Incentives are better than penalties for creating change. So perhaps the government should work with Pepsi and other big soft drink companies to develop a more healthy beverage that people will want to drink. All it needs is a celebrity-endorsed marketing campaign, kind of like Milk has. Although no drink can even come close to the amount of marketing the major soda beverages get, which is why the government needs to get those companies on board with something more healthy.

:lol: that one is even funnier than Carbiz' post.....

I've never belonged to a gym- too cheap/no time. I have a 'machine' in the basement - I used it regularly for the first 3 or 4 months, but I've been snubbing it for months now.

I too once had a summer job stacking hay in a 2-story barn. I lost 8 lbs in 1 week doing that job, and I was a skinny kid back then.

I do cut, split & stack firewood all year, whenever a stack is low or I find a pile at roadside for county pick-up.

Now I'm a home renovation contractor- constantly in motion (except when I'm wasting time sitting where I am right now). After I come home from work & I eat dinner, I'm usually back busy at something until circa 9pm, and I often work 1 day a weekend, too.

Last night I was plowing snow in Princeton, plus I did a little shoveling, too. Will be doing more in the wee hours tomm.

Building a workshop in the basement right now, I have 5 steel shelving units set up as I process the flotsum & jetsum from cleaining out a factory machinist's garage, and an electrician's garage. Lots of tools & hardware- more than enough to last me a lifetime & plenty to sell.

I hate sitting still- I get bored.

I hate sitting still- I get bored.

+1.

Which is why, even when I am sitting, I'm posting on here or something 'constructive' instead of just 'vegging out' in front of the tube.

My GF and I constantly bicker about this. On weekends she likes to take it easy and relax (Not surprising given how busy her curriculum and work keep her) I, however, usually have the weekend time blocked with activities. I get so mad when she won't participate. LOL.

SIGG classic water bottle-$18+s/h

Nalgene widemouth-$11.50+s/h

Water-Free

So, over the course of a year, using a SIGG (metal) bottle wont cost you more than $3/month (USPS shipping quote to my zip was $6, quicker delivery on FedEx or USPS would be more) while using a Nalgene (plastic) bottle would cost about a dollar a month, since you can pick those up at many local retailers. And you'd always be hydrated. Compare that to let's say Coke which is still $1/bottle at most public vending machines, more expensive at "captive" vending machines, places like amusement parks, movie theaters, etc. If a person buys one bottle of coke a day, thats $28-$31/month. If you get a 24 pack of cans (which were $6.48 at Wal-Mart the other day) and drink one a day, you'd have to buy 16 cases to make it through a year which works out to $103/year or $8.64/month.

Now please, tell me, whats the more expensive option? Hell, even if you get a Pur pitcher to run your water throught, thats only $21 at Wal-Mart or $1.75/month.

SIGG classic water bottle-$18+s/h

Nalgene widemouth-$11.50+s/h

I carry one of those Naglene bottles around all the time...living in a very dry place, I drink a lot of water...cheaper than carrying a bottled water all the time.