Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Spied

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li..._spied/(page)/1

Chrysler may be teetering on bankruptcy, but product development soldiers on, as evidenced by these spy shots of the successor to one of the company’s most popular and successful models, the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Clearly visible is the new model’s significantly longer wheelbase and rear overhang, suggesting that it has grown a bunch and may accommodate a third-row seat. According to our shooter’s sources, the styling looks a bit like the way-cool Jeep Trailhawk Concept from the 2007 NAIAS, sans the T-bar roof and with normal-sized windows and wheels. Through the camo we can see quad headlamps, a leaning seven-slat grille, and trapezoidal wheel arches, as well as a slick dashboard with a mix of materials and an instrument cluster that more than recalls the Mercedes-Benz ML-class/GL-class. In fact, this prototype’s proportions and stance also recall those former corporate cousins, vehicles with which the Grand Cherokee will share much of its architecture. Oh, and don’t believe that squared-off rear greenhouse prop; the rear window will remain more like a steep slope than a cliff.

As for what’s under the hood, there’s not a lot we can share with you, but we do expect whatever’s under the hood to be more fuel efficient while remaining powerful enough to move the vehicle with enthusiasm. Expect V-6 and HEMI V-8 engines to continue to be offered, and a diesel option could reemerge, as well. (The diesel was quietly discontinued for 2009.) Also look for a Hemi-based hybrid Grand Cherokee for the first time. As for another Grand Cherokee SRT8? It’s not likely, at least at first.

The new Grand Cherokee will be launched as a 2010 model but is not a 2009 NAIAS debut. Rather, we expect to see it either at the Chicago Auto Show in February or at the New York International Auto Show in April, at which point we’ll bring you much more information.

Fit and finish and materials used are, in fact, a big step up! 8)

Fantastic! Now Chrysler can pick up where it was left for dead after all of the Daimler-era cuts.

Chrysler's interiors had been steadily improving. Witness the Pacifica and 300 series for that. MotorTrend stated that the Pacifica's interior approached that of VW/Audi products in perceived quality, fit and finish.

Just imagine what may lie ahead!

oh how i miss my jeep grand cherokee!

this one does seem longer. i hope that takes care of the cramped rear seats. that was the only gripe i had with my friends when they sat in back.

Yes, in my '00, the rear seat legroom is quite tight when I'm driving with 2-3 adults in the back.

Well the new GC is supposed to slot size wise between the current and the Commander. Also I hear the Durango may switch to this platform.

The problem with the Commander I've noticed is it has the same wheelbase as the 3rd gen GC, so the third row is really crammed in there. I thought the Durango was dead since they closed the plant, though I could see maybe a resurrection of the name on this platform if they could make a business case for it.