Dodge Challenger outsells Ford Mustang last month and YTD

0010dodgechallengersrt8chi_580op.jpg

The Ford Mustang has been a dominant force in the sales department well before the last generation Chevy Camaro rode off into the sunset. That changed last month. Ford's iconic pony car has been outsold by the Dodge Challenger by 293 units in February, as the Dodge coupe racked up 3,283 sales during a very challenging month. The Challenger's February victory could be a sign of things to come for the Mustang, as the Blue Oval's most recognizable vehicle is set to get bombarded with more competition coming from the 2010 Camaro. The Camaro, which goes into regular production on March 16, already has over 10,000 pre-orders on the books.

The Mustang won't be left for dead, though, as the pony car is getting a major makeover this spring. In fact, one reason the Challenger defeated the Mustang in February could be the fact that some are waiting for the 2010 model. Automakers also slow production before retooling for a new model, meaning there are fewer 2009 Mustangs from which to choose. With the automotive world struggling to stay afloat, it's nice to know that we have the pony car wars to keep our minds occupied.

Autoblog

I saw that, pretty surprising IMO.

I'm a bigger fan of the present Mustang than the one that's gonna come out for 2010. I like the Mustang better the way it is.

It will be interesting to see the Camaro sales numbers, they shouldn't be restricted like the first year Challenger production numbers were, they will be selling out of the gate fairly quick I would think....

I bet that if the G8 were a Chevy or Buick, it wouldn't have been outsold by Dodge's coupe.

I'll be interested to see how thing go for the Pony Car Trio over the next 3 years. I have very little faith the Camaro is going to maintain strong sales. The Mustang is the one I can see keeping its sales, up because it has the track record, even if it has been propped by fleet sales. I dont know what to think about the future of the Challenger, simply because we dont know whats going to be going on with Chrysler over the next few years.

I would think the Challenger sales would hold up for a while, if only because there hasn't been a Challenger to buy since the original.

The Camaro has been gone, but not for nearly as long. However it may do well due to it's supposedly better performance than the other two.

The Mustang will always find a way to sell.

I bet that if the G8 were a Chevy or Buick, it wouldn't have been outsold by Dodge's coupe.

I'll be interested to see how thing go for the Pony Car Trio over the next 3 years. I have very little faith the Camaro is going to maintain strong sales. The Mustang is the one I can see keeping its sales, up because it has the track record, even if it has been propped by fleet sales. I dont know what to think about the future of the Challenger, simply because we dont know whats going to be going on with Chrysler over the next few years.

If the G8 were a Bucik, it would already have been cancelled due to poor sales. As a Pontiac, it is outselling both Buick sedans - combined.

Anyway, congats to my favorite Chrysler product! :P

I saw that, pretty surprising IMO.

I'm a bigger fan of the present Mustang than the one that's gonna come out for 2010. I like the Mustang better the way it is.

I'm torn on the Mustang...I prefer the exterior design of the '05-09, but from what I've seen so far, the '10 interior is a huge improvement in materials and content, esp. with SYNC now available.

It's not surprising the Challenger is outselling the current Mustang, since the Mustang is in the 5th year of the current design..