Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Why GM Matters

I have read part way though the new Book Why GM Matters. I must say in this age of misinformation and down right lies it is goods to see someone in the media have a fair look at GM.

THe book cover where GM started, evolved under Sloan and failed to change as Sloans concpet of GM no longer worked. It explains and shows how GM was so large it failed to funtion sfficently when it needed to.

It also addresses things on how some of the managment fail to understand how Toyota was working and how efficent they were in production when GM staffers visited with Toyota and brought back info that could have helped change their path. It also addressed how GM failed to focus on design that lead to the the failed styling of the 80's and 90's.

The book even has a chaper on how Toyota is human and some of the problems they have and will face. It shows GM stands a chance if they get their house in order.

Now if your a Lutz or Wagoner hater you may not like parts of the book as it will point out many of the things the two have done to GM's benifit. It does leave out some of their failings like the FIat deal. It does show how even when Lutz tried to present to the board great ideas they were tossed back at him.

One chapter is on the Camaro on the styling bake off but no real news here.

The book does focus a chapter on preception and the struggle to over come. It also has a long chapter on the Volt pointing out why GM went with a plug in after the EV-1 and why Toyota was against the plug in car. It even shows how GM managment fought Lutz when he proposed an electric car.

Most of the book is a fair and accurate assesment of GM today. If shows how much they have fix in the last few years and what they need to still do. It shows they are far from washed up and if given the chance can rebound.

Autoweek called this book a must read for the Obama oversight staff. I must say I have to agree as from I know of those chosen probably do not know or understand much of what is in this book.

The book is a good lesson on what happen and how it happened and where they are today trying to recover. I know the book is a simplied version of all that has happened and many more basic details are not included but the writer had to keep it to 260 pages.

This is one of the better books on GM since On a Clear Day You Can See GM by John Deloean.

It is the kind of book GM needs now to better tell their story. Too bad so many in the public will never he it.

• 1 month later...

I've started the book here. The history alone would change a lot of peoples 'screw GM' attitude. The legacy of bad design and poor quality from the 70's and 80's are all that so many people remember. The public doesn't remember the 'tinny' qualities of Toyota and Honda from the 70's and the uninspired design that plagued ALL of the 80's!

Rick and Bob are not the ones who have caused any of this. For years, they've been working as agents of change. The leadership of the company from that earlier era really was shortsighted.

Sadly, the public doesn't give a sh*t about history, especially with such a short attention span. Blow out the leader, blame them and sell off the pieces. I really hope none of the Big 3 meet a demise but it's clear that American consumers have a challenge about loyalty to these brands. I cross my fingers whenever I think about what could happen.

I've started the book here. The history alone would change a lot of peoples 'screw GM' attitude. The legacy of bad design and poor quality from the 70's and 80's are all that so many people remember. The public doesn't remember the 'tinny' qualities of Toyota and Honda from the 70's and the uninspired design that plagued ALL of the 80's!

Rick and Bob are not the ones who have caused any of this. For years, they've been working as agents of change. The leadership of the company from that earlier era really was shortsighted.

Sadly, the public doesn't give a sh*t about history, especially with such a short attention span. Blow out the leader, blame them and sell off the pieces. I really hope none of the Big 3 meet a demise but it's clear that American consumers have a challenge about loyalty to these brands. I cross my fingers whenever I think about what could happen.

Thanks for reading this.

It is sad the public let alone the Obama auto advisers will never read this book.

The truth be said I just wish other on this site would read it and learn the truth to many things they just do not know the whole story on.

>>"...failed to change as Sloan's concept of GM no longer worked...."<<

I know this is a partial-sentence summary, but :: Sloan's concept of GM failed to work BECAUSE it changed from that concept. IE; the concept was superceeded by other factors, rendering the concept defunct. That is, in fact, change, not failure to change.

I would be interested in reading the first 60-some years of GM's history, but far too many non-automotive factors muddy up the 'car story' after the early 70s. I'll watch out for it.

The book is a good lesson on what happen and how it happened and where they are today trying to recover. I know the book is a simplied version of all that has happened and many more basic details are not included but the writer had to keep it to 260 pages.

Seems like a good book. It sounds like it focuses on recent history ... and not so much the earlier GM years ... in which case it may not mention GM's role in making open heart surgery possible....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The feel of an ice cube melting over time" ... Splender ... 'I Think God Can Explain'