Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Something little I noticed about the '09 Astra

So I was at my local dealership getting my oil life monitor recall taken care of, and I decided to check out the showroom, chat up the salespeople and such.

Checked out the interior of an '09 Astra 5 door, and although a minor change, they changed the interior plastic from silver to graphite grey. I thought it made the interior look more upscale. Not to say I don't like the silver in the 08's, however the graphite look is more understated and the dash doesn't have that plasticky look to it anymore.

In fact, they changed it to the same color as found on the center stack of my vue. Still no Aux jack though, which was disappointing.

Does anyone know what's going on with the Astra in the States? I'd like to consider an Astra XR 5-door, but I'm not thrilled about buying a "2008" model this far into 2009!!

They cancelled the 2009 model for the US, because there were so many 2008's on the lots still. They do plan to have a '10 model, which of course will be out partway through '09, cuz model years are silly like that.

I doubt we'll see the '10 Astra under any brand here in NA.

GM was dumb with the Astra in the first place. They wanted to save millions by importing it here from Europe, and due to that lack of vision, they ended up losing money on each one sold because of the high cost of importing. At the same time, they weren't able to lower MSRP on them due to the relatively high cost of importing either, so similarly equipped cars in the segment were beating it out on price alone, and incentives to boot.

I have a feeling it would have done ten-fold better if they offered powertrain choices and a sedan variant, and if it were built in NA. North Americans (more US than Canada though) do not prefer hatchbacks so a sedan might have drawn in more people. I suspect GM didn't bring over the sedan because it would have jeopardized cobalt sales. Maybe it was GM's attempt at not overlapping product.