Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car Shopping...

Well everyone around C&G knows I have thinking about another pre-owned GM car, I started thinking late 90's N/A Bonneville SSE, 02-04 Seville, 00-02 Firebird, then went onto 06-07 Monte Carlo's and now I have come full circle to the Cobalt/G5 and Aveo5/G3. For all the folks wanting to drop cheap shots at this boring FWD 4 cylinder economy cars, don't post! If you have a positive or constructive comments please post. I am really considering a new small GM car due to the tax write-off (a good idea from the White House) and want to help GM out again. I have been really considering the Aveo5/G3 (09 models only) and was wondering if I have gone crazy, going from a large car to small fuel efficent wagon! Anyone have any comments or driven/ridden in one? The Cobalt/G5 XFE Coupe's seem to be more than I want to spend, and Aveo5's I have found have been under 10K new for 1LT's with sticks, and I hope G3's would be about the same or within 1 grand or so. The thing is I am willing to wait till late summer maybe even fall if I can get a deal on a new Aveo5 or G3. Also I would be willing to go pre-owned with low miles so long as it is a 5spd. and then would like more features for the same cost as a more "stripped" new one. (i.e. power locks, windows, cruise, alloys would be nice) Any thoughts, I have ridden in one and actually liked it (09 Aveo5), reviews have been pretty positive from what I can gather. As for the Cobalt/G5 goes I have been in many and know I would like one in a coupe and features don't matter because all have a air and a cd player. Still are too pricey and would rather have another hatch. So any thoughts...

Also I still am considering 06-09 pre-owned Impala's (and 06-07 Monte Carlo's for that matter) under 10K with less than 40,000 miles...

Edited by gm4life

please avoid the 06-07 Monte it's not on the same stiffened chassis as the current Impala. The Impalas a good choice and I have to tell you although I haven't driven the new Aveo/G3 the materials inside are better than the Cobalt, but I'd still take the Cobalt for its stronger engine and better features.

Also if you want an 07 Impala maybe you could *cough* buy the one I'm selling in the member marketplace that belonged to my grandfather :P

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Thanks for all the constructive comments. If anyone see's new stripper XFE Cobalts 10K or less (prolly LS trim) let me know, but uhhh something is still strangly appealing about the G3/Aveo5. They actually have 5 and 4 star crash test ratings, I doubled checked. I know Von they would be SLOW, but its a forth car not a road triper or cross country vehicle. I have my "Great American Touring Sedan" for that and my cross-over for those treks. I understand it is a Daewoo, but a very nice one at that. You know me I am sucker for something with twin kidneys! Keep the thoughts coming.

Edited by gm4life

Like I said before, my Mom has a 2007 Aveo and it has been good. Hers has about 13,000 miles and not once have we had to bring it back. It gets window sticker as far as mileage goes.

Like I said before, my Mom has a 2007 Aveo and it has been good. Hers has about 13,000 miles and not once have we had to bring it back. It gets window sticker as far as mileage goes.

Thanks for the info, glad to hear it. Is it a sedan or hatch?

Avoid the Aveo/G3 twins..they are very hit and miss...you might get a good one..or- you know...

Local dealership won't even sell me one..they go right to the Cobalt....

Really, so they have a good shipment and then a bad one eh? Well I really like the G3, alot actually the front is more refined and less "pigish" than the Aveo5, but I am open to a Cobalt Coupe or G5. It would be to and from work and around town car for our family/son. So something small and fuel efficent is okay, and the 5spd. is something he wants to learn better, he has done it some with a friend. I wouldn't mind brushing up on my skills either (for the Camaro SS, my son or I will get someday, hopefully he will get one, then I'll just snag it!) the wife is excited because she had a small hatch-back a Colt back in 80's. She actually taught me to drive a manual! I know a few people with Aveo's and they seem to really like them. I am not doing anything today or tomorrow if anyone see's a new stripper Cobalt XFE Coupe for under or about 10K let me know though. Most are more than I want to spend.

Edited by gm4life

In the end, you'll be happier with a Cobalt/G5. The fact that it gets better gas mileage with more usable power and better driving dynamics... It's a no brainer. The Aveo/G3 is just a $h!ty Daewoo.

I know it is a Daewoo, but how do you like your new Cobalt? Does it drive well?

I know it is a Daewoo, but how do you like your new Cobalt? Does it drive well?

My 2008 LT Sedan in Slate Metallic (Below) is a nice solid car that with the right tires (OEMs are crap go for the Triple Treds from Goodyear) is just what DF said it was, a stable, quiet, easy riding, solid little car with lots of power for its size and not much different fuel economy from the Aveo. It's a no-brainer.

IMG_0294b.jpg

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

My 2008 LT Sedan in Slate Metallic (Below) is a nice solid car that with the right tires (OEMs are crap go for the Triple Treds from Goodyear) is just what DF said it was, a stable, quiet, easy riding, solid little car with lots of power for its size and not much different fuel economy from the Aveo. It's a no-brainer.

IMG_0294b.jpg

Yes, that is what I gather from riding in many of them. Still the Aveo5/G3 are very appealing.

gm4life, I have to agree with the rest here that you should be looking at G5s/Cobalts and not G3s/Aveos. While my wife really liked the G3 at the Philly Auto Show this past February, I can't stand them! I don't trust any Daewoo model, and I think in the long run you'll be happier with a Delta-based car. Think back 20 years ago - would you have choosen the Pontiac LeMans over a Sunbird? My cousin had a new '88 Lemans and it was crap; on the flipside, I knew many people that owned Sunbirds, and while they weren't the greatest, they were 10xs better than my cousin's Pontiwoo!! Too bad the G5 GT isn't offered in a sedan version, as I'd be more inclined to go ahead with that purchase (I continously wonder how it will be owning a coupe over the next 5-7 years if I do decide on the G5 GT?).

:CanadaEmoticon:

CAR001.jpg

CAR002.jpg

CAR003.jpg

CAR004.jpg

You lucky SOB's in Canada get everything. Well all these remarks and comments have me looking at Cobalt's and G5's used for about 8 grand with sticks. All coupes of course, I think I might have to steer clear of the Aveo5/G3 if they are as bad as so many say.

"Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me?" - Homer Simpson

That one you have pictured is just about perfect - it's the color I want (Performance Red Metallic), and just needs the Ebony <black> leather interior. What does that sticker for versus the coupe?

It would be perfect if US Pontiac dealers offered the G5 GT Sedan (at least for me). It would solve my concerns of having a coupe for the next 5-7 years, and the practicallity of a sedan works better if I wanted to drive with other adults in the car (again, I will have the G6 Sedan for those duties). But the G5 GT Sedan would be a cool option to have. Is it hard to travel to Canada to buy one, then bring it to the States?? :lol:

:CanadaEmoticon:

CAR001.jpg

CAR002.jpg

CAR003.jpg

CAR004.jpg

"Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me?"

It would be perfect if US Pontiac dealers offered the G5 GT Sedan (at least for me). It would solve my concerns of having a coupe for the next 5-7 years, and the practicallity of a sedan works better if I wanted to drive with other adults in the car (again, I will have the G6 Sedan for those duties). But the G5 GT Sedan would be a cool option to have. Is it hard to travel to Canada to buy one, then bring it to the States?? :lol:

Probably less trouble to buy a similar Cobalt, and source the badging, front grille, center caps and steering wheel cover.

Probably less trouble to buy a similar Cobalt, and source the badging, front grille, center caps and steering wheel cover.

Yeah, I thought about that too after making the post. It would be a lot less effort going that route! The problem is I've done a GM.com search of a ton of Chevy dealers in a 25 mile radius of me and none have the Cobalt 2LT with the Sports Appearance Package (making it look like the G5 GT Sedan pictured above or a Cobalt SS Sedan). Of course I know that any good Chevy dealer can find one outside of the range I looked and dealer trade for it. I'd rather have the Pontiac G5, but if the wife insists on a sedan then the Cobalt will go on the table for consideration.

"Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me?" - Homer Simpson

That one you have pictured is just about perfect - it's the color I want (Performance Red Metallic), and just needs the Ebony <black> leather interior. What does that sticker for versus the coupe?

I don't know off hand, Roger.

http://pontiac.gm.ca

http://chevrolet.gm.ca

Price the Cobalt and G5 out however you wish on Pontiac and Chevy's Canadian sites...