A couple of pics of my 2001 Sierra and 98 Z28

gmcbob

I have too many computers and not everything organized correctly. But while I was thinking of a couple of past road trips from my last post, I thought I would post a couple of good pics I had on this machine.

I really miss my Z28 a lot. That was hands down one of the coolest cars I ever had the pleasure of owning and driving. I had the car about 9 months or so and had a week off so I decided to take a road trip to Denver to see my cousin. It was one of the first big road trips I took by myself (stopped in Lubbock to stay with a friend) - and it was certainly very memorable. I got to the New Mexico border and had to stop to take this shot. God I loved that LS1 V8. This is a photo I found not too long ago and decided to give my wife's ancient scanner a try. This was October of 1999 (if memory serves me right).

CamaroatNewMexicoBorder.jpg

These were taken during a drive up to Durango (same cousin - he moved) in 2003. By now the Camaro was a distant memory and I was already two years into the Sierra. This was just a solid truck - and I put a ton of miles on it driving it all over the country.

The2001SierrainfrontofCarlsin2003.jpg

On the way back I drove through Chaco Canyon (very, very interesting place in Northwestern New Mexico)

The2001SierrajustsouthofChacoCanyon.jpg

Edited by gmcbob

You know, I may have posted that scanned pic of my old Camaro on here before. Although I'm pretty sure I haven't.

Of all my past cars I think that's the one I miss the most, hands down.

I remember getting insanely good mileage (for a 300+ hp V8) with that car on the highway. I pulled off a 30.8 average between here and Dallas on that very trip.

You know, I may have posted that scanned pic of my old Camaro on here before. Although I'm pretty sure I haven't.

Of all my past cars I think that's the one I miss the most, hands down.

I remember getting insanely good mileage (for a 300+ hp V8) with that car on the highway. I pulled off a 30.8 average between here and Dallas on that very trip.

:yes:

4th Gen f-bods were much more amazing than they've been given credit for by the dash-gropers of the world.

As for the pic, I may have seen it elsewhere. Do you remember posting it on another site?

I always wonder where these old cars we all used to have are today?

I mean, did my Z28 get into the hands of some crazy 16 year old and ultimately get destroyed? Is my old Sierra on a farm in Mexico or something?? Where are they now??

:yes:

4th Gen f-bods were much more amazing than they've been given credit for by the dash-gropers of the world.

As for the pic, I may have seen it elsewhere. Do you remember posting it on another site?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I haven't posted it anywhere. The photo itself is going on 10 years old, but I only started fooling around with the scanner in the last year or so, so I don't think I would have had it posted anywhere other than just now.

The 4th Gen f-bods truly were great cars for the money looking back on it. That car was insanely quick for it's time (even by today's standards it's super fast), and my highway mileage was very good. I thought it was crazy for GM to kill that platform back in 2002. It was a bit of a stretch for me financially in those days when I was in my mid 20s (insurance, premium gas, etc, etc), but totally worth it.

I pretty much left mine totally stock other than cutting out the air box and sticking a K&N filter in it. I also used Mobil 1 oil (oil changes were a pain in the neck in that car). I didn't really drive it very hard, but a few pretty strong "runs" with some other car nut friends stick out in my mind. One run that took place on a random weekend in College Station involving a friend of mine in his then new 99 Mustang GT prompted him to go out and get a 2000 Trans Am not too long afterwards. :lol:

Ah, to be young and stupid - how I miss that sometimes.

I think what my buddy in College Station bought wasn't the Trans Am, I think it was Ram Air WS-6 Formula Firebird. It was a black 6 speed with chrome wheels. I loved it because it had the Ram Air and the WS-6 package, but it wasn't a Trans Am.

The day I bought that Camaro back in January of 99 (it was the last 98 on the lot at the dealer here in Houston), I looked at a 98 Mustang and a Trans Am. I remember the T/A being a wee bit too expensive and the Camaro being just within the realm of my budget the way that one was equipped. I do remember driving the Camaro after the Mustang and realizing that I just had to somehow come up with the extra money to have the Chevy. The Mustang didn't compare. hahahahahaha. I had my heart set on a manual (mine was a 4A), but I think because this was a 98 and they were sort of anxious to let it go, the deal just sort of worked out right. In the end I don't think it mattered much because I enjoyed the car immensely anyway.

Edited by gmcbob

I think what my buddy in College Station bought wasn't the Trans Am, I think it was Ram Air WS-6 Formula Firebird. It was a black 6 speed with chrome wheels. I loved it because it had the Ram Air and the WS-6 package, but it wasn't a Trans Am.

The day I bought that Camaro back in January of 99 (it was the last 98 on the lot at the dealer here in Houston), I looked at a 98 Mustang and a Trans Am. I remember the T/A being a wee bit too expensive and the Camaro being just within the realm of my budget the way that one was equipped. I do remember driving the Camaro after the Mustang and realizing that I just had to somehow come up with the extra money to have the Chevy. The Mustang didn't compare. hahahahahaha. I had my heart set on a manual (mine was a 4A), but I think because this was a 98 and they were sort of anxious to let it go, the deal just sort of worked out right. In the end I don't think it mattered much because I enjoyed the car immensely anyway.

Your buddy had a very rare Pontiac!

:thumbsup:

Your buddy had a very rare Pontiac!

:thumbsup:

It was really cool - and very, very fast. The next time I talk to him I'll have to ask him exactly what he did with that car (it's long gone now). He heavily modified it during the time he had it too (I couldn't even begin to tell you what all he did, although I knew at one point he tried to do some of the "deeper" work on the actual inside of the LS1 himself, and ended spending a lot of money having a professional mechanic fix some of the mistakes).

I also remember having multiple conversations with him during those days about the differences in performance between individual stock Camaros and Firebirds right from the factory.

I'd love to find that car today. I really wish I knew what happened to it. It was so fun to drive and that LS1 had an absolute amazing sound at full throttle.

I enjoyed the Firehawks so much that I may go find myself another one.

That, or another GTO.

Here's a really nice red 2004 GTO (sorry, it's an auto though) for sale with a little less than 13k on the odo:

FS_6G2VX12G24L226117_2.jpg

Link

If I didn't love the angular styling of the G8 more, I'd consider this GTO if I was able to get out of my lease.

I have a 1994 Z28 LT1 that is ALOT of fun to drive. Maybe someday I'll manage to get an LS1 or put an LS1 into mine. Its not the greatest shape, but Im slowly getting her fixed up.

94.jpg

Edited by Daryl 83