Buick focusing on the car…

avant1963

Maybe we’ll finally get some respect for Buick with the 2006 Lucerne. It has been getting great reviews from the press (and so has its sister, the DTS) and now Buick is killing the Dream Up campaign and focusing on “Precision”. Three new TV ads will debut with the new “Beyond Precision” tagline focusing on precise panel gaps, heated wiper fluid, and “Mr. Aachen Head” a device that Buick uses to capture interior noise levels. Thanks for waking up GM. The problem is the first commercial I saw for the Lucerne was at the end of a “Red Tag Event” spot, even though the new Buick isn’t included in the sale.

-Walt Keegan

FROM GM:

Posted Image
Mr. Aachen Head (and Tom Bosley? Yo Mr. C!)

“Beyond Precision,” a new brand positioning and advertising campaign for the Buick division of General Motors, will break with television commercials on Nov. 21 for the 2006 Lucerne, an all-new luxury sedan. The campaign focuses on Buick’s quality by showcasing Lucerne’s luxury features and benefits including QuietTuning and other technical innovations.

The advertising’s new tagline – “Beyond Precision” – speaks to the care and exactitude the designers and engineers put into the Lucerne. “Beyond Precision” exemplifies qualities that resonate with people who want a car to reflect their intelligence and that thrives on scrutiny with compelling attributes.

“The people who design, engineer and manufacture Lucerne are some of the best in the world, and have a near-fanatical way of looking at Lucerne’s details,” said Margaret Brooks, Buick marketing director. “We want advertising that shows the fruits of their labor and spotlights some of Lucerne’s finest details.”

Three new television commercials from Buick’s national advertising agency, McCann Erickson’s Birmingham , Mich. office, were created. The commercials, focused on product attributes, are:

“Precision Millimeter” (craftsmanship) – From its gracefully sculpted exterior design to its smooth yet responsive ride, Lucerne reinforces Buick’s reputation for attention to detail inside and out. In this execution, a camera slowly pulls out from inside a tight panel gap to reveal the Lucerne . The voiceover says, “Someone understands the difference even a single millimeter can make in the way a car looks, drives and feels… And we just wanted you to know… You’re not alone. ” The voiceover relates the fanatical approach of the Lucerne ’s engineers to the high level of quality today’s demanding new car buyers also seek.

“Snowflake” (heated wiper fluid) – A delicate snowflake meets its demise in this spot featuring the Lucerne ’s heated windshield washer fluid dispenser. The wiper fluid is heated to 149 degrees and eliminates the inconvenience of scraping ice and grime from windshields, a problem that has afflicted drivers since the invention of wiper blades 75 years ago.

“Mr. Aachen Head” (QuietTuning) – An “Aachen HEAD” (pronounced Ah-Kin) is a digital recording tool that hears sounds inside and outside of a moving vehicle. Buick Lucerne engineers regularly use the Aachen Head, which mimics a human head of an average-sized man, to capture sounds within the Lucerne ’s interior. Lately though, “Mr. Aachen Head” hasn’t been very busy, because Buick’s QuietTuning greatly reduces sound levels inside the vehicle, as “heard” in this spot.

“The new spots tell the inside story about the engineering of the Lucerne in all its obsessive, brilliant glory,” said Marianne Fey, executive vice president and group managing director of McCann Erickson’s Birmingham, Mich. office. “We wanted to highlight compelling product attributes that show this discerning target what separates a true quality vehicle from the rest of the pack.”

New Buick commercials will be seen on a variety of news and lifestyle programming.

A series of print ads will launch on Nov. 22 in USA TODAY and Nov. 23 in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal; and will run throughout the year in a variety of magazines and newspapers. Interactive inserts, coined “Buzz Prints,” that feature product attributes of the Lucerne will begin running in publications in February. Additional campaign components include online advertising and promotional placements on some of primetime’s hottest shows.

avant1963: Thank you for starting this thread.

GM should do a fourth commercial, focused on Buick's quality attribute, including the news the other day that Buick tied for third place in the latest J.D. Power Sales-Satisfaction Index.

But I think they're headed in the right direction, and I think that if people give it a chance, the Lucerne will please them. (Then comes the Buick Enclave!)

This is interesting. I never thought this was a problem on Buicks before. Interesting it would be something they would push.

[post="45076"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Fit & Finish is a "perceived quality" concern for all Domestic Brands. This "push" is meant to help eliminate that concern.

The possitive press reviews are good, but I don't think they should have spit in the face of former Buick lovers to get it. The new cars styling is downright boring compared to the Park Ave or Lesabre, and the dumping of old names for new ones that sound similar is equally inept. I guess that's what happens when you gut out a division's uniqueness, and push it in with others. It seems like the opposite of what's been promised lately. -T

The possitive press reviews are good, but I don't think they should have spit in the face of former Buick lovers to get it.  The new cars styling is downright boring compared to the Park Ave or Lesabre, and the dumping of old names for new ones that sound similar is equally inept.  I guess that's what happens when you gut out a division's uniqueness, and push it in with others.  It seems like the opposite of what's been promised lately.

-T

[post="45179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't feel that GM left the Buick lovers behind or spit in their eyes with the LaCrosse or Lucerne. It actually appears that GM paid attention to what they loved most about their Buicks. Unlike in Oldsmobile's transformation, GM has maintained and improved upon several main-stay Buick traits and qualities that we recognize and expect in a Buick.

As for WMJ's comment about Buick having more of a problem with the perception of being an "old person's" vehicle:

Yes, Buick needs to change perception, but Buick does not need a campaign denying it or one trying to force the perception to change. Oldsmobile failed miserably with the "This isn't your Father's Oldsmobile" marketing campaign. Buick can't make the same mistake.

Besides, you can't fault a "focused" marketing campaign that's highlighting Buick's strengths for not rehashing Buick's weaknesses. That's counter productive.

[quote name='rivieraranch' date='Nov 18 2005, 07:16 PM']
[quote name='I hope GMRULES again' date='Nov 18 2005, 06:41 PM']
You can see Mr Aachen head on GM TV today,[

Wasn't that guy in the picture in "The Deer Hunter?"

[post="45139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]

That is sooo not right.......(but can't stop laughing)........ :rotflmao:

GM should get rid for GMTv and save some money. Who watches this show? Employees? They should get back to work. GM fans? How about making some good news instead of spinning bad news? I can only imagine how much it costs. GM has such a poor PR department, they might as well cut it to the bone and drop fluff pieces like GMTv. The PR team has done nothing, absolutely nothing, to counter all the bad press, so why keep them? Any important message from management would be distributed by e-mail. GM needs to hunker down and get to work. Mark

Had my first look at a Lucerne in person this weekend. I must say that I was floored! Pictures absolutely do not do this car justice. It will be a HUGE success if Buick plays it's cards right. Put it this way; I'm 23 and although I'm a Buick fan I've never ACTUALLY enivisioned myself buying one of their cars (Classic Buicks aside) but if I had the money I would SERIOUSLY consider the Lucerne!

Had my first look at a Lucerne in person this weekend.

I must say that I was floored! Pictures absolutely do not do this car justice. It will be a HUGE success if Buick plays it's cards right.

Exactly. A lot of people on this board, especially several who voted the Lucerne as a 2006 fiasco, haven't even seen the Lucerne in person yet. The Lucerne will be loved by current Buick owners and still bring in first time/non-GM buyers.

There's no way the Lucerne will encourage a current LeSabre/PA owner to leave Buick.

I saw the new Lucerne at the San Francisco International Auto Show the other day - it was a gorgeous cranberry red color with beige leather interior. I am a long-time Chevrolet driver, but I did own a Buick once -- a 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon -- back when our kids were small. It was the most beautiful car I have ever owned... I will drive a new Lucerne soon and check it out, but from what I saw, I think it's a nice balance between touring sedan and traditional American luxury, and I bet that it's going to sell very well. If I had one styling complaint, it would be the black plastic lines on the grille, and the overall size of the grille itself, which looks a bit small. A slightly larger chrome grille would really benefit this car. Also, why isnt the triple shield Buick logo in color anymore??

I guess I'm a standout, but I was completely underwhelmed by the Lucerne in person.

Simply put, Buick had the chance to produce something distinctive and chose to go the generic route. The Lucerne's stance is extremely ungainly in all but CXS form and the front fascia is downright bland. It's just my opinion, but from a styling standpoint, I can't see the Lucerne playing a large part in Buick's turnaround.

I had to go to Hillsdale, MI (from Coldwater) to finally see the Lucerne, and get the introductory brochure. I must say, I'm more impressed than what I thought I would be. The side profile, and the rear is gorgeous as is the interior design. The only things that disappoint me is the front view (this has bothered me from day one) and the actual materials of the dash. Not at all silky and spongy soft as I had imagined it would/should have been. They felt rough and sort of hollow. But hey, this is just a stepping stone for Buick, and if I had the money, I would get the CXS model, probably in black with matching leather. Hey, and I'm only 19, so I think Buick may be getting on to something. (However, we'll just overlook the fact that my first car was a Buick (Skyhawk). This may have biased me, hehe.)

Saw the "Precision Millimeter" commercial for the first time on TV, and I can't say that I'm impressed. It leaves me cold. This campaign has no emotional hook, nothing that makes me want to love a Buick. The visuals of the car in the commerical don't help either and seem to emphasize the long overhangs on the car.