Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Are you kind of "out of it" from everything going on?

I've been feeling kind of apathetic lately. My job is "just there." I live for the weekend when I can sleep in and then go out and do stuff or take a day trip. Right now, my trip to 2-week trip to Europe in early July is keeping me going.

Why this sentiment?

-Recession seems too prolonged

-Friends have lost jobs and/or getting weirder with their own problems

-Lost some money in my 401 that was in WAMU (not a lot, but still) - that bank has been a "staple," is at every major intersection, and made me my townhome loan in a Seattle suburb

-Chrysler bankruptcy

-Pontiac elimination

-GM uncertainty

Does it all seem like TOO much? How are you holding up?

Let's see:

Boring but well paying contract w/ big stable bank. Work is very dull right now.

Seeing lots of layoffs in tech industry, but lots of companies still hiring

Long but easy commute

Recession, constant doom and gloom in the news (tuning out)

Auto industry meltdown depressing

Summer is here. 5 months of 100F+ degree days ahead. Joy Joy. Truly growing to hate AZ for many reasons. Must accelerate exit strategy.

Family squabbles.

401(k)/IRA etc losses/non growth.

Looking forward to mini-vacation this weekend in Ohio, and a week off at the end of June beginning of July.

Not sleeping well. Getting stress-induced psoriasis. Cranking up Ambien dosage. Cranking up Zoloft dosage. Have to go see chiro for pinched nerve in back.

Edited by Cubical

Truly growing to hate AZ for many reasons. Must accelerate exit strategy.

Not sleeping well. Cranking up Ambien dosage.

I changed planes in PHX on my way to NC in February. I was looking out over the massive PHX metro area as we approached and thought "hmm..."Moltie" is down there somewhere." It's definitely not for me. Sure, who doesn't like a mission-tiled sprawling stucco 1-story home with a pool in the back, preferably on a promontory with some view? I have a friend who lives there who "summers" in Flagstaff to get away from the heat.

Actually, my Ambien is working again. It was only pulling me through 3 or 4 am. Now, with a major milestone/project behind me, it takes me until the alarm clock rings. I know how it feels...

Yea, with Brocade closing the engineering site here in Kirkland, WA and Microsoft having just let another 2500 engineers go, the job search is very lousy and I am actually thinking it might be time to try something else. Hate the Idiots in this country who think the way to profit is to out source your job to india.

Wake up America, out sourcing is a short term fix for Upper mgmt stupidity over not doing the right job to begin with, not budgeting properly, not managing the project properly, not PIPing the poor performing employees, etc. The list is long but I am not too much of a I do not give a $h! as I am tired of working my ass off for a company that cannot look long term to making things happen the right way.

Nice is the weather here in Seattle has been awesome. :P

Looking forward to mini-vacation this weekend in Ohio, and a week off at the end of June beginning of July.

Not sleeping well. Getting stress-induced psoriasis. Cranking up Ambien dosage. Cranking up Zoloft dosage. Have to go see chiro for pinched nerve in back.

How do you like the Zoloft? I am thinking about using medication, if that tells anyone the stress of my life and how I am feeling.

Autocross Sunday went very well...work is O.K....country is in an idiotic blue funk fbrought on by lots of people.

Chris

Yea, with Brocade closing the engineering site here in Kirkland, WA and Microsoft having just let another 2500 engineers go, the job search is very lousy and I am actually thinking it might be time to try something else. Hate the Idiots in this country who think the way to profit is to out source your job to india.

Wake up America, out sourcing is a short term fix for Upper mgmt stupidity over not doing the right job to begin with, not budgeting properly, not managing the project properly, not PIPing the poor performing employees, etc. The list is long but I am not too much of a I do not give a $h! as I am tired of working my ass off for a company that cannot look long term to making things happen the right way.

Seattle is awesome...one of the guys who is a friend of mine from the Miata club is looking at a job in Seattle, in IT ironically.

Chris

Seattle is awesome...one of the guys who is a friend of mine from the Miata club is looking at a job in Seattle, in IT ironically.

Chris

Cool...I read the Dice and Monster postings all the time from Denver, Portland, and Seattle. And Columbus and Pittsburgh. Seems to always be more cube action in those areas than the Valley of the Sun.

How do you like the Zoloft? I am thinking about using medication, if that tells anyone the stress of my life and how I am feeling.

Chris

I like it... I've used it off and on for a while. Not as strong as the Prozac I used when I was in PhD hell in '96.

IT has been going through what GM, Ford and Chrysler went through years ago. I do wonder if it makes any IT people reconsider buying "foreign". At some point in time, the IT industry will learn they can get people cheaper in the south, just like the automotive industry, and they will move. As they move there will be no job protection, as they are non-union, and there will be union to blame for companies execs getting greedy and making stupid moves.

On a more positive note: I do love the Northwest. We have good weather overall, assuming you can get used to the spring, fall, winter, summer rains. Never to hot for long, never to cold for long.

Well I lost my job, can't find another one even though Ive applied at 10 places in 1 1/2 months. GM about to go belly up. Could be worse I guess.