Hyundai finally out-GMs GM

Satty

Hyundai Monthly Cash Back

Ok, so I've been hyper-critical of GM for consistently resorting to putting cash on the hood of just about every model, but Hyundai has finally topped them. Hyundai buyers can now opt to receive a monthly check (for 6 months) from the company in lieu of rebates. If you buy a Veracruz, your cut is $650/month, on a Sonata its $500, on the Accent and Elantra Touring (which I didn't even know existed) its $250. I have a feeling people will buy into this (just like they bought into Hyundai Assurance) but will probably end up regretting it. After six months, you'll still have to make payments on the sticker price (or close to it, depends on how desperate the dealer is) but dont have that supplemental income. But if you take the cash back up front, your monthly payment would be lower. In the long run, its dumb for buyers (just like Dodge's "$1.99 gas card promo) but it will probably bring people in. Thoughts?

OUCH, I agree with you Satty that this is dumb and dumber. This is going to back fire as the last company to try a gimick like this was mitsubish with their no payments for a year and just around the time of the 2fast 2 furious movie. They sold a ton of cars and in a year had a ton of reposensions. Very stupid as this only brings out the bottom feeders IMO. :nono:

This is nothing new. Local dealers are advertising all sorts of unbelievable, outrageous deals ; one in my listening area was giving away a free '09 accent with the purchase of a leftover '08 santa fe !!!

I don't recall GM ever offering a "2-for-1" deal.

The hyundai dealers come off like a pack of slavering mongooses (or is that mongeese ??) :wacko:

You didn't actually think hundai sales were up because of PRODUCT, did you ?? :lol:

Edited by balthazar

This is nothing new. Local dealers are advertising all sorts of unbelievable, outrageous deals ; one in my listening area was giving away a free '09 accent with the purchase of a leftover '08 santa fe !!!

The hyundai dealers come off like a pack of slavering mongooses (or is that mongeese ??) :wacko:

You didn't actually think hundai sales were up because of PRODUCT, did you ?? :lol:

I've seen 2-for-1 deals advertised for some Chrysler, Ford, GM and Hyundai/Kia dealerships.

Those are more common than you'd think. I can't remember which, it was one of the Big 3's dealerships in the area that was offering their smallest car free with the purchase of a full size truck.

>>"Those are more common than you'd think. "<<

Weird how I never caught any of those before hyundai's, but OK.

There were some crazy deals being thrown around when gas was $4/gal, remembering back. I certainly don't think that Hyundai dealership out your way was the first by any means.

Wasn't there a dealership that once had a "Buy a Cadillac, get a Yugo free!" sale back in the 80's. BoGo is nothing new, but thats the dealer playing around with the factory cash back, not the parent company actually sending out a check every month.

I've seen:

Buy a Titan, get a free Sentra

Buy a Ram, get a free Avenger

Buy a Galant, get a free Raider

Wasn't there a dealership that once had a "Buy a Cadillac, get a Yugo free!" sale back in the 80's. BoGo is nothing new, but thats the dealer playing around with the factory cash back, not the parent company actually sending out a check every month.

I've seen:

Buy a Titan, get a free Sentra

Buy a Ram, get a free Avenger

Buy a Galant, get a free Raider

It works, to some degree... but sometimes it's the buyers whom screw it all up. The sad thing is how many consumers would still attempt to haggle out a better deal. The whole 'something for nothing' mentality I face with some of our clients is frustrating when dealing with people complaining about everything on an invoice, including the fricken' government taxes!!! "I shouldn't have to pay that... can't we just do this as a cash deal?"

Edited by ShadowDog