More Hints On Zeta Production? Spring Hill?

Guest Josh

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The General Motors Corp. Spring Hill manufacturing plant will survive if the company makes good on its promise to employees to bring in a new product line -- one that likely won't be a Saturn, analysts said.

GM announced earlier this week that it will cut 30,000 jobs and close nine assembly, stamping and powertrain plants and three parts facilities. The line in Spring Hill producing the Saturn Ion compact car will shut down in 2006, a move that could eliminate 1,500 jobs.

But GM officials have promised union leaders and plant workers that Spring Hill will be part of the company's future plans as it reworks and retools in an effort to cut losses. GM lost almost $4 billion in the first nine months of this year.

"We knew we were going to be making the switch from plastics to steel," said Mike O'Rourke, president of United Auto Workers Local 1853 in Spring Hill. "The future is bright at this plant."

Throughout its 15-year existence, the lines at the plant have been configured to produce the plastic-paneled Saturns, such as the current Ion and sport-utility Vue models. Reconfiguring to steel would make the lines capable of producing a non-Saturn GM product.

That's all part of GM's plan to get plants operating at 100 percent capacity -- a plan that's been in the works for a number of years, said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich. Cole said he believes GM will do what it has promised Spring Hill.

Full Read: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../511260364/1148

One of the spring hill employees posted on Saturnfans.com that larger vehicles such as the new croosovers (Lambda) wouldn't be built there because the turns in the aint shop were too tight to allow this. Would zeta be significatly smaller than Lambda? Would the paint shop be changd? So far all the talk is about making the line 1 flexible -- no mention of paint shops.

Kisber said the plant remains a leader for GM because of its powertrain assembly and its modern paint shop

evok has already said that Spring Hill will build T/E, theta Epsilon, crossovers.

It seems as though the answer depends on which Zeta. The US Zeta/Sigma lite will be in one plant and the Aus Zeta/VE may end up being made in the US also. The bets are one at Willmington to use up extra capacity and one moving to the Oshwa car plant that is staying open. My money says if VE comes to the US it goes to Willmington and is only used for Buicks and Pontiacs and Sigma lite goes to Oshwa. If VE doesn't come to the US look for Sigma lite to still go to Oshwa.

It is VERY exciting times for RWD GM enthusiests.

I must have been absent that day.  Do I need a signed note rom my doctor? All kidding aside, what is the theta/epsilon crossover?

[post="48925"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They will be based on both Theta and Epsilon II. They basic structure would probably be Theta based, it is more advanced, and would have AWD capability. This structure is rumored to underpin the BRX and 9-4x. The Caddy will most likely be 7 seat and the 9-4 I will guess will also be 7 seat. We will see the BRX this autoshow season most likely at NY. I expect the Caddy to use the 2.8 HF and 3.6 HF and 6 speed auto with AWD standard. The 9-4 will most likely be FWD with AWD optional and use the 2.0 turbo 4 standard with the 2.8 HF turbo optional. The kicker is if we will see a Chevy version. It would replace the MaXX which we know is dead past the redesign. Heck I could see calling it MaXX only or it could have a Retro wagon flair and be called Nomad. Either way I will be happy.

They will be based on both Theta and Epsilon II.  They basic structure would probably be Theta based, it is more advanced, and would have AWD capability. This structure is rumored to underpin the BRX and 9-4x.  The Caddy will most likely be 7 seat and the 9-4 I will guess will also be 7 seat.  We will see the BRX this autoshow season most likely at NY.  I expect the Caddy to use the 2.8 HF and 3.6 HF and 6 speed auto with AWD standard.  The 9-4 will most likely be FWD with AWD optional and use the 2.0 turbo 4 standard with the 2.8 HF turbo optional.  The kicker is if we will see a Chevy version.  It would replace the MaXX which we know is dead past the redesign.  Heck I could see calling it MaXX only or it could have a Retro wagon flair and be called Nomad.  Either way I will be happy.

[post="49066"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

At this point, TE is premium only.

If GM closed the "Poletown" D-H plant, there would be heck to pay, after all the buildings torn down, lawsuits, and tears shed to build it!

I see Crossovers going in before any RWD big cars. And remember BOF fans, Zeta is unibody.

[post="50418"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Poletown is being updated as we speak, and will see a bit more tweaking..

There is a chance it could close, but it is very unlikely.....

The current DTS and Lucerne will be done in a few years...and the rumor here
is still Zeta.

And a switch to Zeta is easier than you might think....

Poletown is being updated as we speak, and will see a bit more tweaking..
There is a chance it could close, but it is very unlikely.....

The current DTS and Lucerne will be done in a few years...and the rumor here
is still Zeta.

And a switch to Zeta is easier than you might think....

[post="50473"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Poletown has been upgrading for the past few years. Since I was back at one of my old jobs and had news on that plant. D-Ham was anxious to receive "new product" take it as you will.

Poletown has been upgrading for the past few years. Since I was back at one of my old jobs and had news on that plant. D-Ham was anxious to receive "new product" take it as you will.

[post="50486"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How close is D-H to the Sigma plant, Lansing right?, if it is close I could see it getting C-flex and being able to build Sigma or Sigma lite or even US VEs depending on the mix of stuff needed. All the platforms would be unibody with similar suspension and build techniques, especially Sigma and Sigma lite.