Albizia Julibrissin

Another favorite of mine is the Albizia Julibrissin (Japanese Mimosa or Silk Tree). It is the main attraction of my front lawn in summer.

The Albizia Julibrissin with its delicately scented flowers is an attractive exotic plant for the garden. Long stamen make the flowers look like a pink powder puff. Also, the pinnately (feather-like) divided leaves add to the elegant appearance of the tree. At night or in case of drought the leaves fold together (hence its common name ‘sleeping tree’ in some languages), by day they unfold again and offer a shady place to relax.

mimosablr.jpg

Another favorite of mine is the Albizia Julibrissin (Japanese Mimosa or Silk Tree). It is the main attraction of my front lawn in summer.

Thanks funny, I was cutting one of those down today. Actually, I was cutting two in a cluster of seven... the two I cut where too low to drive the van under.

They are interesting looking trees, but are real weeds. They make a pile of mess, grow saplings all over the place, suddenly die for no good reason, but the number one reason they are weedy is when they suddenly fall apart in a slight wind.

That said, I have... uh... about five clusters in the yard. The one is quite tall. I'm afraid to park anything near it that I like. One day, I'm going to find it in the swimming pool.

Oh, BTW, if you like it, don't let anyone climb it... that's a real recipe for a lawsuit.

Edited by SAmadei

Great flower, terrible tree.

It's on my do not plant list.

In my perfect yard, I'd have nothing but majestic Oaks. However, my yard is far from perfect, and to hide the imperfect parts, I let anything with cover grow. Thats the only thing keeping the Mimosas, Sassifras, Big Tooth Aspens, Wild Cherry and Ailanthus Altissima (Tree of Heaven, the tree that "A tree grows in Brooklyn" is about) from getting the Sawzall. Actually the Wild Cherrys are getting kinda large, so they might go off to a mill someday.

I hate trees that collapse without warning. I have seen Oak trees stand for a decade after dying... it gives one plenty of time to move stuff out of the way... and I definately have a few things that will take a decade to figure out how to move.

Anyone ever see the mini version of these Mimosas? It is a actual weed, but it grows with mini versions of the fold up leaves, and each leaf has a little purplish "sensor" that if you cover with your finger will cause the leaves to fold up in a few minutes.

I prefer the mini version of the Mimosa as it doesn't squash your car when it falls over.

I prefer this one:

sanonofre3785803sa0.jpg

It's the San Onofre nuclear power plant. Any care to guess why it's my favorite? Here's a hint:

animatedboobs.gif

I used to think the same every time I drove by those things.

Edited by AAS

Well I guess they won't like my bamboo either ... :P

You sound like a dream neighbor. You play the stereo at top volume at 2 am, as well?

I assume you have your invasive trees in Delaware? It's my understanding that bringing them into the EU is a firing squad offense. ;-)

Seriously, it depends on the Bamboo. There are two types, one that spreads insanely and one that doesn't. The insane version can be controlled by planting it in enclosures raised off the ground (the runners only try to go less than a foot deep. I like the impenetrable barrier bamboo makes, but I am reluctant to set another invasive tree free in my yard. I'm already fighting too many.

Have you thought of adding some Empress Trees?