Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Sipping fuel

8 posts in this topic

My LS comes with a readout for the instant fuel economy average, so I've been keeping track to see how I'm doing on fuel consumption. On two cross-state trips with the AC running and an average speed of about 78 MPH, I have gotten 26.2 and 27.5 mpg (higher mileage coming back because I live at a lower elevation than my hometown). In the city, I'm consistently getting between 18 and 20 mpg depending on how often I goose it from a stop. But if I go to fueleconomy.gov, it says my car should be getting 15/22 under the 2008 revisions and 17/24 under the old.

It makes me wonder how accurate the revised EPA fuel economy standards are. Even if I drive like a bat out of hell, I can still get at least 16.5 out of the LS in the city, and getting 22 on the highway doesn't seem possible unless I'm running near triple digits for speed.

My LS comes with a readout for the instant fuel economy average, so I've been keeping track to see how I'm doing on fuel consumption. On two cross-state trips with the AC running and an average speed of about 78 MPH, I have gotten 26.2 and 27.5 mpg (higher mileage coming back because I live at a lower elevation than my hometown). In the city, I'm consistently getting between 18 and 20 mpg depending on how often I goose it from a stop. But if I go to fueleconomy.gov, it says my car should be getting 15/22 under the 2008 revisions and 17/24 under the old.

It makes me wonder how accurate the revised EPA fuel economy standards are. Even if I drive like a bat out of hell, I can still get at least 16.5 out of the LS in the city, and getting 22 on the highway doesn't seem possible unless I'm running near triple digits for speed.

are you cruise controlling it?

are you cruise controlling it?

Usually.

Usually.

Yeah, you oughta go by the old 70s CAFE highway numbers then.

The new one assumes your driving like an idiot.

Decent fuel economy numbers...

Chris

Yup, I wish you continued pleasantness with the LS, mustang.

Damn thats good. Every time I was in my coworkers his display said 16-18 but he drove it like a racecar all the time.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0