Out with the Old, in with the New

So, a couple weeks ago I was driving my Regal when the unexpected happened.

IMG00215.jpg

Since it was a 99 with 205,000km, it didn't take too much damage to write it off. Not the end of the world since everyone was ok and I wanted to replace the car anyway.

So, the new car search started. Originally I planned to go brand new... A Fusion or Malibu... but the more I thought about it, the more I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to have a decent sized car payment weighing me down. Even a Focus or Elantra would cost me over $300 a month with what I had to put down, and that is a lot of money for a car I probably wouldn't even like.

So, on to the used car search. I decided I wanted to get something for around 10k cash and looked at a TON of cars. I think every Grand Prix for sale in the city, a bunch of 06 Impalas, a few 05 Impalas, an 05 Montecarlo that I made an offer on but couldn't get as cheap as I wanted, a bunch of Altimas, etc.

Bottom line, I couldn't find anything that cheap that was acceptable. Everything either had cosmetic problems, drove strange, or had a questionable history (accidents, ex-rentals).

Then I found her. A 2005 Buick Allure (Lacrosse) CXL with 46,000km (28,000mi). Fully loaded with pretty much everything but leather. One owner car from a small town about an hour from here, clear Carfax, clear Carproof, and very little warranty problems based an a check of GM's computer system. The car was absolutely flawless inside and out and drove great. It was a little more than I wanted to spend (12.5k Canadian), and the dealer is a no haggle price store, but I thought about it for a day and decided that was a reasonable price for the condition it was in, and paying a little more for a car that seems perfect to me was worth it in the end.

I did end up financing it because it was more than I had cash, but I put a decent amount down so the payment is dirt cheap. I'm also pretty sure I will be able to pay it off in about 2 years (its over a 5 year term).

Anyway, here she is, just a quick cellphone pic, I'll get better ones when I pick it up on Saturday.

IMG00227.jpg

Edited by Whistler

So I've had the car for a day now, wow!

GM really did a great job on this car. Fit and finish inside is amazing, and with the stereo on mute and windows up, the thing is a vault! You can't hear anything. A few of my friends have been commenting about how you can't even tell if the engine is on.

Its a pretty different beast than my Regal GS. The Regal was Supercharged, and I lowered it, so it handled like a sports car but rode like an old pickup truck. The Allure blows away the Regal in ride quality, and its handling is sharper than the stock Regal, but not as good as my lowered one. Its also lacking the ooomph that you get when you floor the Supercharged 3.8 in the GS.

Very happy with it though. Haven't found a single thing wrong with it, and I miss the sportiness of the other one a bit, but this one will keep me out of more trouble ;) .

Heres another cellphone shot after a quick rain shower.

IMG00229.jpg

Edited by Whistler

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Whistler,

Sorry 'bout the accident ... hope YOU weren't hurt....

BUT ... nice upgrade, indeed! I had one of those for a road trip a couple years or so ago ... was nice to drive. Congrats :).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm gonna ride on the silver lining" ... FFH ... 'One Of These Days'

• 2 weeks later...