Next-gen Skyline to be sold as Infiniti in U.S.

Variance

GT-R Going Upscale: Next-gen Skyline to be sold as Infiniti in U.S., sources say
KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/5/05
LOS ANGELES - The next-generation Skyline GT-R, a high-performance sports car, will be sold as an Infiniti in the United States, say two sources familiar with Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s plans.

The current generation is sold under the Nissan brand in Japan. Company executives have been debating whether to sell it in America as a Nissan or an Infiniti.

The most recent GT-R concept was shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in October. The production model will be shown at the Tokyo show in 2007.

The sources say the vehicle will be either a 2008 or 2009 model with a sticker price of about $65,000. They say Nissan has targeted annual U.S. sales of about 1,500.

The automaker showed only the car's exterior at the Tokyo show and has not said much about the powerplant. But one source says the Skyline GT-R will have all-wheel drive and two turbochargers, and produce more than 400 hp.

"It will be wicked; faster than a bullet," he said.

Asked to comment on the vehicle, Frederique Le Greves, head of public relations for Nissan North America Inc., said, "No decision has been made on whether it will be a Nissan or Infiniti when it comes to the United States."

Some company executives fought to put a Nissan nameplate on the GT-R in the United States because it is known as a Nissan globally. The car appears in many popular racing video games in the United States, such as Sony PlayStation's Gran Turismo.

But a source says in-house studies show that the expected clientele does not want to shop for such a high-end vehicle at a Nissan dealership.

Infiniti dealer John Capps says the Infiniti dealer group has been lobbying for the GT-R. Capps, owner of Plaza Motor Co. in St. Louis, and former chair of the Infiniti dealer council, says "it would be a wonderful halo car."

Link: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103715

---

This really is the right decision. People will be more willing to plunk down $70k for an Infiniti than doing so for a Nissan. Plus, if you're paying Infiniti prices, you want and expect Infiniti-level service. Very few high-end cars sell under a "lesser" brand name. We all know VW learned that the hard way.

I really don;t care... they could call it a Datsun for all I care just bright it here already!!! Hmmm.... actaully Datsun sounds cooler than INfiniti or Nissan anyway. :P

I really don;t care... they could call it a Datsun for all I care just bright it here already!!!

Hmmm.... actaully Datsun sounds cooler than INfiniti or Nissan anyway. :P

[post="54401"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is a very strange word, and hard to say if you're used to only English. I'm willing to bet nobody here actually knows how to pronounce it.

To-yo-ta (obvious)
Hon-da (same)
Mi-tsu-bi-shi (little strange)
Da-tsun (makes it hard to say doesn't it?)

It will probably won't have the Skyline name if it's going to Infiniti. it might just be called GT-R, or it'll follow the (letter)(digit)(digit) pattern that all other Infiniti cars follow.

I think Nissan Skyline sounds nicer than Infiniti Skyline just like Chevrolet Corvette sounds way cooler than Cadillac Corvette. Either way modders are gonna have a field day dialing up the horspower to 600+. This is one of the easiest car to modify.

[post="54502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think there are very many "modders" that are going to spend $65,000 on a project vehicle. There will be a few, but no where near the numbers that would warrent the manufacture of many aftermarket parts.

Also, people spending the kind of money for the GT-R will want the service experience that they will get at Infiniti dealerships compared to Nissan dealerships. I know that I am REALLY not looking forward to taking my Corvette into my local Chevy dealership for service. They are what you typically think of when you think of a "traditional" domestic dealership.....sales people all standing on the front patio, smoking.....poor attention to service detail (based upon when I had my Blazer) and lack of amenities/conveniences while you wait for service (compared to what you'd find at a BMW or Benz store.) I may be forced to find another Chevy store that's better.....but that means I'll have to travel alot further....which is another inconvenience in and of itself....

Making it an Infiniti only helps justify the price a little bit.

Over 400HP? That's it, being TTed? It better be in the Z06 range if they want to be part of the game. Then again, it is AWD.

[post="54568"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Expect somewhere between 450 to 500 Hp so it would be less than the Z06 but more than the regular Vette. I remember that Nissan actually produced a very limited run of Skyline GTR with nearly 630 stock horses. The price was close to $200,000. But that was the previous version. I hope they produce a souped up GTR with 600+ ponies.

I know that I am REALLY not looking forward to taking my Corvette into my local Chevy dealership for service.  They are what you typically think of when you think of a "traditional" domestic dealership.....sales people all standing on the front patio, smoking.....poor attention to service detail (based upon when I had my Blazer) and lack of amenities/conveniences while you wait for service (compared to what you'd find at a BMW or Benz store.)

[post="54555"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is a compelling reason to choose Pontiac/Buick over Chevrolet, Lexus over Toyota, Lincoln-Mercury over Ford, and a big reason why it was retarded to brand a car like the Phaeton a VW and curse it to Volkswagen lots.

In my area, Chevrolet and Toyota lots are notoriously bad, though there is a very nice Chevy dealer here, with the Chevy ones being a little skeezy while the Toyota ones feel like a cross between a cattle call and an auto auction. I especially liked it the one time I went there with my friend to get some gift certificate redemption thing and they sent the lone Asian salesman out because I looked Asian.

The obvious decision, and a good one. This will insure the Infiniti dealership experience, and the Infiniti warranty. Though this is a hardcore sports car, they'd better make sure the interior is still top knotch. I have no doubts the performance will be awesome.

It probably won't come close to the Z06, and will be priced higher than it to boot.

[post="54785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Something tells me you don't know much about the GTR. The old one had a reputation for exotc supercar performance. This new one won't dissappoint, IMO. I look forward to the comparos with it and the Z06.

It is a very strange word, and hard to say if you're used to only English. I'm willing to bet nobody here actually knows how to pronounce it.

Da-tsun (makes it hard to say doesn't it?)

[post="54485"][/post]

Since my first language is Slovakian I'm used to strange jumbles of consonants but I see your point. I pronounce it "Daht-soon".

I just love the strange, dated absurdity of the name. Somehow a Nissan 240Z sounds kind og ho-hum but a Datsun 240Z sounds exciting and dare I say mildly exotic.

Kind of intriguing just like Daimler (the British not German one) Triumph, Holden, Sunbeam and to some degree Skoda and Tatra even though I grew up with those last two.

To me "Datsun" gives me a mental picture of days gone by and brings thoughts of a more innocent and less regualted auto industry. A trip down my personal memory lane of times that I did not live through but can appreciate. I think it's safe to say most of the population will not even know WTH a Datsun is/was in a decade.

Posted Image

1976? Pillarless Hardtop Datsun Skyline

Posted Image

1970 Datsun 510 Pro-Touring

Posted Image

Custom 240Z

Posted Image

Neat website:

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/SilviaBrochure.htm

Posted Image

I worked at a dealership that had one of these Datsuns:

Posted Image

Yep, that's right.....it'a 1971 240Z kitted up to look like a 1962 Ferrari GTO. Man that thing drove great. The original Datsun 240Z transmission shifted like butter.

Here's a real Ferrari GTO to compare. They are almost identical. I got so many stares when I drove that kit car. It had a sweet exhaust note too!

Posted Image

The obvious decision, and a good one.  This will insure the Infiniti dealership experience, and the Infiniti warranty. Though this is a hardcore sports car, they'd better make sure the interior is still top knotch.  I have no doubts the performance will be awesome.

[post="54940"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

sure I do, and I know enough to know the AWD on this machine will kill the power to weight ratio, just about the best thing the Z has going for it. The Z is a balls out machine that competes with the Ford GT on performance. This Skyline won't be able to match the performance unless it doesn't weigh anywhere near the ~3500 lbs of the previous cars.

sure I do, and I know enough to know the AWD on this machine will kill the power to weight ratio, just about the best thing the Z has going for it. The Z is a balls out machine that competes with the Ford GT on performance. This Skyline won't  be able to match the performance unless it doesn't weigh anywhere near the ~3500 lbs of the previous cars.

[post="55016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're talking about the Mustang GT, and not the Ford GT......right?? :blink:

I'd buy a 250GTO replica built on a Datsun 240Z chassis... one of the least lame kit cars out there. Think of all the people who would think you're a real "Balla" as you roll down the street in that sexy B!tch. Sean had a gorgeous Cobra 427 roadster replica but it was Chevy 350 powered. As far as the Skyline... don;t underestimate it, those cars are the Japanese Corvettes in terms of 'bang per buck'.

There's worse cars than the B210... like every Honda from the same era, every Toyota from the same era as well as Mitsubishi and those legendary Hyundai Ponys. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

(at least it's RWD)

SOme neat B210 Datsuns....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sure I do, and I know enough to know the AWD on this machine will kill the power to weight ratio, just about the best thing the Z has going for it. The Z is a balls out machine that competes with the Ford GT on performance. This Skyline won't  be able to match the performance unless it doesn't weigh anywhere near the ~3500 lbs of the previous cars.

[post="55016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you talking about a Z, or the GTR? The upcoming GTR will be on a new or heavily revised FM platform. If you're thinking the upcoming GTR will be a tarted up Z, think again. As far as the power to weight ratio, let's see what the final numbers will be. The GTR and the Corvette are both legends, and both have cult followings. But let's not confuse the GTR with the Z.

Are you talking about a Z, or the GTR? The upcoming GTR will be on a new or heavily revised FM platform.  If you're thinking the upcoming GTR will be a tarted up Z, think again.  As far as the power to weight ratio, let's see what the final numbers will be.  The GTR and the Corvette are both legends, and both have cult followings.  But let's not confuse the GTR with the Z.

[post="55445"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

By "Z", he means the Z06.