Dodge Caliber!!

JazzyChef

The information about the Caliber just keeps pouring out of the Dodge website, it's making me want the vehicle more and more. The model that I built on the website came to a total of 17,500 which is 2.5k less than the vehicles I want (Mazda 3s hatchback, Chevrolet HHR 2LT). Not a bad deal.

So has anyone heard anything as far as the release dates, actual size comparisons, interior pictures?? I've heard from some people that it's actually a little smaller than the Neon which is kinda hard to believe.

Posted Image

After looking at the thread on Allpar.com, it looks like the Caliber will be available with quite a few powertrian options: -1.8L DOHC 16-Valve I4 -2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4 -2.4L DOHC 16-Valve I4 -2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4 Turbo Diesel -Gas-Electric Hybrid -FWD -AWD -4-Speed Automatic Transaxle -5-Speed Manual Transaxle -Continuously Variable Transaxle (CVT) Like Burger King......you can have it your way! :lol:

Autoblog had a story on this the other day.  They said the top-of-the-line diesel, AWD Caliber can reach almost $30K.  According to the story, the diesel is an even larger premium over the hybrid.

[post="58114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't know how final these numbers are, but:

- 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4 Turbo Diesel $4,420*

- Gas-Electric Hybrid $3,360

Here's a quote from Allpar.com regarding the $29K price:

the 29k one is for the Hybrid, a maxxed out Prius is also 29k

a maxxed out Mazda3 is 26k
a maxxed out Vibe is 26.5k

A maxxed out Matrix does come in at 22k
a maxxed out Golf also comes in at 22k or the GTi at 26k

I did not confirm those numbers.

Those powertrains aren't even including the SRT version...  :P  I would expect the 2.4L turbo with around 230-250 HP possibly with AWD and a stardard 5 sp or optional CVT?

[post="58020"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So I don't really know Dodges too well, but what is CVT?? Is that like GM's DOD?

Hi Caliber

R.I.P. (Neon) SRT4, :(

a maxxed out Mazda3 is 26k

Unless this price is Canadian, it's absolute BS. I own an '05 Mazda3 special edition. Mine retailed for $21K and the only major option I didn't get was the navi system ($1700). I ended up paying just under $20K (about $50 under invoice).

Most Mazda3's sold are under $20K. The only time the Mazda3 could reach $26K is when they come out with the MazdaSpeed3 which should be coming around for the 2007 model year.

I was basing my opinion on the concept car's interior, which looked like total ass. The worst part is the production interior can only get worse:

Posted Image

[post="58032"][/post]

We'll just have to wait and see what the materials will be like. DCX interiors differ widely in quality.....the pickups, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Commander have that really bad shiny, hard, brittle plastic.

The LX cars, the PT, the Jeep Liberty are MUCH better. Liberty and PT have hard plastic, but it's nicely grained, matte finish, and not at all the same stuff as in Grand Cherokee and the pickups.

The model that I built on the website came to a total of 17,500 which is 2.5k less than the vehicles I want (Mazda 3s hatchback, Chevrolet HHR 2LT).  Not a bad deal.

[post="57891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just remember: You get what you pay for.

Anybody else think the Caliber will be a dog with the 1.8 or 2.0-liter engines? I was looking at some of the equipment listings, and some things looked like they needed to be standard and not optional-interesting color selection too, including Maroon, Tan, Olive, etc., but surprisingly no reds of any sort. Orange and yellow are extra-cost $150 options, but the other colors are no-charge. Also offered: Black, White, Blue, "Silver" (really a Cool Grey), and Dark Blue.

Unless this price is Canadian, it's absolute BS.  I own an '05 Mazda3 special edition.  Mine retailed for $21K and the only major option I didn't get was the navi system ($1700).  I ended up paying just under $20K (about $50 under invoice).

Most Mazda3's sold are under $20K.  The only time the Mazda3 could reach $26K is when they come out with the MazdaSpeed3 which should be coming around for the 2007 model year.

[post="60338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/b]

That's what a guy at work said too. Like I said, I did not confirm the numbers.

But now I just did, and I got $26,355. That was with every option.....which seems to include a bunch of, what other manufacturers consider "accessories".

Man, you Mazda guys get very defensive. :lol: Edited by BrewSwillis

But now I just did, and I got $26,355.  That was with every option.....which seems to include a bunch of, what other manufacturers consider "accessories".

[post="60501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I did the same and ended up with $26,555, but that's because I included a bunch of stupid crap like wheel arch moldings, a rear diffuser, and wheel locks.

A reasonably-loaded Mazda3 5-door is more like $22,100 with door moldings and Moonroof/6-disc changer/Bose Package, something most people would probably invest in. This car would also include an automatic and leather seats, but no NAV. Not bad considering the price.

I did the same and ended up with $26,555, but that's because I included a bunch of stupid crap like wheel arch moldings, a rear diffuser, and wheel locks.

A reasonably-loaded Mazda3 5-door is more like $22,100 with door moldings and  Moonroof/6-disc changer/Bose Package, something most people would probably invest in. This car would also include an automatic and leather seats, but no NAV. Not bad considering the price.

[post="60508"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but the whole point is that Caliber is being criticized for maxing out at $29K......and that's with a diesel or hybrid option, AWD, and a CVT. The other cars that were mentioned get close to maxing out at $29K, and don't have these options. I'm guessing most Calibers will sell for around $20K.

The pretty much loaded R/T(2.4L) that I priced with leather, mp3 radio/premium sound, moonroof, and extra priced orange paint was $22K. Seems very reasonable to me.

Flybrian & BrewSwillis, You're right about all the add-on's. They jack the price up a lot. HOWEVER, being a Mazda3 owner and being on a Mazda3 message board on a daily basis, I assure you that most Mazda3's are purchased for less than $20K. Those extra add-on's are very rare. Most of them I have never seen on a Mazda3 and I've seen tons in real life and in online pictures. The typical fully-loaded Mazda3 runs right around $20-$21K. I'm a diehard GM fan, however when I purchased my Mazda3 over the summer GM had nothing that I wanted in my price range. I've never purchased anything other than GM until this Mazda. It was a tough task...LOL. But, I did a lot of research on the Mazda3 and you really cannot beat it for the price you pay. I mean, if you look at the features you get on the car for the price they offer it at, it's unbelievable. You really get more with this car than any other car in the segment. Plus, it's a blast to drive and it has killer looks. That's something else you don't find in the compact segment. Anyway, just wanted to clear some of that up. :) Edited by mshu7

This weeks Automotive News has a picture of the Caliber "unrwapped"...I see that DCX managed somehow defy current styling trends again and keep that old school whip antenna on the production version.

[post="62570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I got yer "Whip Antenna" right here....

<graps crotch with hands>

The array of powertrains is extremely surprising. Generally, small cars have one or two engines to choose from, and two transmissions.