Vue vs G6

Okay, I'm throwing ideas out tonight for the wife's next car. Plans are to keep it used. (She doesn't want new anymore-"a waste of Money")

Need more space than her Cavalier.

Vue- Good on gas, plenty of room. Plastic (toddler proof!)

G6- Also good on gas. Lots of room. (people room too) Cheap.

What would you choose? Why?

The old Vue wasn't too bad, my friend had a 2004 Redline AWD. The steering was kinda numb and even with the upgrades brought with the Redline edition, it didn't handle exceedingly well. It made up for that by offering what I thought to be rather good space efficiency and a decent interior. The 3.5L V6 is smooth as silk and quite robust, and the transmission is pretty good, even though it hunts a bit and isn't keen on downshifting sometimes.

My mom has a 2005 Saturn VUE V6 AWD, my dad has a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan, and my wife has a 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan; my vote would go towards a G6. My mom's Saturn VUE is very creaky and feels very cheap (both relating to the interior plastic) after 4 years (its felt this way to me since it was about 2 years old). A friend's wife has a 2003 Saturn VUE 4cyl FWD model and loathes the FWD system in wet or snowy weather (if they could afford a new car payment, she'd get out of the VUE; though she said she'd consider a new one with a V6 & AWD). She too complains of a creaky and cheap interior, though with a soon-to-be 4 year old toddler and an eight-month old infant, they find the VUE to be a versatile vehicle. Again, with personal experience I'd recommend the Pontiac G6 overall.

The VUE can be good or crap depending on configuration. The G6 is more consistent.

IMO, with either body style an Ecotec/4T45-E FWD is probably the soundest VUE offering overall, offered '05+.

The VTi used in some '02-'05 2.2L VUEs was quite possibly the worst automatic transmission ever. RUN from one of those.

I'm not a huge fan of the the GME 3.0L V-6. Has an oil-to-water oil cooler between the cylinder banks that's expensive to repair if it leaks

That said, I really like my '03 VUE 2.2/5sp. :D

The interior is somewhat cheap. It was a decent interior for me at the lower end of it's price range, but but not so appealing if paying nearly $30K for a loaded version.

'06+ dash is quite a bit nicer. '08+ is very nice but lost quite a bit of legroom in the rear seat.

I still wouldn't mind having an '06-'07 w/ the Honda 3.5L someday, although a few of the Honda trannies have come back w/ a torque converter shudder here and there. Goes like stink though and still like the plastic + boxy look.

The VUE can be good or crap depending on configuration. The G6 is more consistent.

IMO, with either body style an Ecotec/4T45-E FWD is probably the soundest VUE offering overall, offered '05+.

The VTi used in some '02-'05 2.2L VUEs was quite possibly the worst automatic transmission ever. RUN from one of those.

I'm not a huge fan of the the GME 3.0L V-6. Has an oil-to-water oil cooler between the cylinder banks that's expensive to repair if it leaks

That said, I really like my '03 VUE 2.2/5sp. :D

The interior is somewhat cheap. It was a decent interior for me at the lower end of it's price range, but but not so appealing if paying nearly $30K for a loaded version.

'06+ dash is quite a bit nicer. '08+ is very nice but lost quite a bit of legroom in the rear seat.

I still wouldn't mind having an '06-'07 w/ the Honda 3.5L someday, although a few of the Honda trannies have come back w/ a torque converter shudder here and there. Goes like stink though and still like the plastic + boxy look.

Yeah, I've heard those CVTs are pretty much crap......

I'm not picky as far as engine goes, as I would either end up with the Eco/3.5 engine.....

Since it will get beat up annyways, I'm not too worried about the interior. I guess that is the nice part about them being used.....

My mom has a 2005 Saturn VUE V6 AWD, my dad has a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan, and my wife has a 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan; my vote would go towards a G6. My mom's Saturn VUE is very creaky and feels very cheap (both relating to the interior plastic) after 4 years (its felt this way to me since it was about 2 years old). A friend's wife has a 2003 Saturn VUE 4cyl FWD model and loathes the FWD system in wet or snowy weather (if they could afford a new car payment, she'd get out of the VUE; though she said she'd consider a new one with a V6 & AWD). She too complains of a creaky and cheap interior, though with a soon-to-be 4 year old toddler and an eight-month old infant, they find the VUE to be a versatile vehicle. Again, with personal experience I'd recommend the Pontiac G6 overall.

I'm kinda leaning this way myself, as I'm not really sure we need an SUV. Just more space for people and "stuff".

And the G6 can take the abuse pretty well....

If you go with a G6 stay away from:

Electric Steering

Panoramic Sunroof

Other than those two areas, the 2 G6's we've owned have been good. The 2008 is a year and a half old and not one problem. Not even a little one.

I do remember those sunroof issues?

Was electric steering on the 05s, or the 06s too?