The 'ole G8 & a lot of new touches

Was this a problem with just the strut, or is it something more integral with the suspension?

Signed,

Potential pre-owned G8 buyer :P

Okay, finally, here's the deal...

The drivetrain, suspension, etc. on these cars is 10x better than on the GTO beforehand in a lot of ways, but there are still common issues. The main 2 are focused on the front end.

1) Strut mounts. There's a ribbed rubber mount that attaches to the top of the strut and then is what gives it a "base" to sit & hold properly in the strut tower. By design in this car and the GTO (and a lot of BMW's, etc.) is a highly stressed part by nature, because of how it sits, how it's loaded, and often then too because of how what is truly a performance car, gets driven. From the start, the main issue the G8 and GTO have is that the rubber strut mounts get an excessive load & compression on the boat ride over, along with a lot of other extended sitting. With the boat ride pressure, the way they normally wear anyway, etc. they're often toast from when new. Leads to a lot of front noise, looseness, rattling, squeaking, alignment and other issues, and often also doesn't make for anything obvious, just a front end that isn't as precise as it should be. Typically apparent by a front end that's lower than it should be (hard to point out, since they're all kinda like this, when original), looking underhood and seeing the a visible gap of about 1/4" of more between the rubber cap and the fender when sitting on a flat surface. 98% of dealers, even after the GTO with the same problem, know nothing about this and refuse to look into it beyond "that's normal" but if you have an actual issue related to noise or an odd alignment problem up front, they may trace it back to this. I had a terrible creaking/squeaking from the strut towers when it would get to freezing or below, and after the first week, a front end alignment that mysteriously fell out of spec--all due to these being bad. Here's an example of new Pedders vs. squashed stockers on a friend's GT with 1800 miles (these ones aren't really that bad...but add in more mileage, etc. and they can be a lot more collapsed/tilted):

DSC02356.jpg

Long story short, stiff rubber mount that gets pre-collapsed thanks to the boat & otherwise, has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the struts or springs them, and the bushing itself should just be replaced. Requires the struts coming out & all re-installed, then the alignment corrected. Pretty quick job, actually, and not hugely expensive if done out of warranty, plus there are better bushings such as made by Pedders. Once replaced or if not pre-damaged, these can go a long time without issue without hardcore autocrossing, etc. everyday, and shouldn't be an issue if they're replaced, with stock or otherwise.

2) Front ball joints & control arms, or therein the parts together. Creaks, rattles & pops, and oddly was an issue too that the home market Oz cars never seemed to have, but has been a big one here. Over the past 2 years eventually, in the midst of warranty replacements of the parts, new part #'s of updated parts started being used, and then in the past few weeks a regional/date by date recall was issued by GM for the front ball joints. They seem to have found that the rubber boots on the ball joints to keep moisture from rain, snow, etc. out weren't sealing properly and/or were coming apart letting moisture in and, tick, there went the ball joints 1 after another. Or at least that's the story. That said, most 2008 and 2009 cars will be called in for an inspection of the joints and replacement as necessary with new parts, and hopefully away that will go.

SO...neither are big problems, but they certainly can be annoying, the first especially because it's not an easy one for warranty since most dealers--unless, as I said, there's another problem they can trace back to them--will do a thing about the bushings, but they make for a lot of front end slop. And the ball joint/control arm foibles just make for more obvious noises, generally, and now that there's a staged recall, are being taken care of.

Those 2 things and driveline vibrations are the main issues with G8's. If it doesn't shake badly and there's no front end noises--or the repairs have already been done--you're good to go, generally.

Unlike either my G6, my Malibu, or even my mother's excellent '08 Malibu, other than the suspension bushings, I've had ZERO repairs or visits for anything but an oil change in 8 months and 10k miles. It's just been a solid, quiet, reliable car with no electronic or other quality foibles. Too bad about the couple of front suspension bugs and driveline vibrations, in some, but otherwise just a great car.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the new comments guys :AH-HA:

As of the past few days, there's even MORE coming. I don't even think I have to explain, at this point, hah.

1) New tires. Seems insane for a 12k mile car, but let's just say 3-4 different suspension setups, 3 alignments and thousands of miles post suspension work without it ever being aligned, no rotations, etc. didn't help my stock 19" summer only Bridgestones much. Add in the fact they are summer treads, even though I have driven it in every condition possible without much trouble, I was having more and more issues with cold/wet traction, noise seemed to continue increasing, and being worn a little off kilter, some shakes and ride issues. Wanted hi po all seasons, based on other G8 guys, TireRack, etc. ordered new Goodyear Eagle GT's at the GM dealer...they better come in by Monday/Tuesday, I have a western PA roadtrip to make and don't want to be sliding or shaking...

2) Corsa. Mmm. Cat-back. Yes. I debated it for the longest time, was jealous hearing stock Charger/300C Hemi and even some Camaro SS exhausts at red lights from time to time, and the Corsa is now legendary especially in the G8 world for being one exhaust that not only sounds great but masters not having issues with the cylinder deactivation. No drone, ugly growls, etc. Just a great V8 purr. These are NOT cheap, by any means, and that's why I never did it but another G8'er in PA who needed some cash was looking to sell his with about 5k on it for almost half price, and I bit. Rare find and I like the already broken in, he's had no issues, has a great installer, etc. aspect. Trying to figure out a date/time to swap my stock & his Corsa system, car to car, in PA ASAP. Stay tuned...here's the system on his car currently:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh boy. Western PA roadtrip coming very, very soon...if both things could be on in time, that'd make my day :booyah:

Edited by caddycruiser

I got to drive it.:)

And oddly enough, before pretty much any of the "stuff" started, tune & intake aside :AH-HA:

I've just come to accept the fact, I have to keep playing with it or, well, yeah there's no other option. Mom's Camaro shopping made me even think about one of those, but it comes down to I've done so much to this car and heart it so much, anything new will just have to be in addition to it. Ah, thank GMAC for a long, very, very low APR loan :yes:

Well I love the sound of that sucker! OCN you are one lucky bum, suckers like me would give their right nut to drive a car like this.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Odd, yet well known fact in regards to the Corsa--it's actually quieter than stock at a lot of steady highway cruising speeds. Cool.

Edited by caddycruiser

Corsa Corsa Corsa...vroom!

Somehow, some way, despite all that I've changed, I'm more excited about this soon to come Corsa exhaust than anything else. As in, throughout the past 24 hours, I've continually kept clicking the videos on my iPhone and just listening... :lovey:

Now, the real question remains, will anyone else notice immediately. I have to remember, I had the car lowered significantly early this summer and no one really noticed that, so, hmm...

Come on tires & come on Corsa...give me good news tomorrow! I want them both for my PA roadtrip...

• 2 weeks later...

Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust

Corsa is on! It's SO much different from stock...in ALL the right ways. Much throatier rumble (actually has a rumble) at startup & idle, and through the 1st 3 gears or so while accelerating it roars beautifully then mellows to a stock'ish hum. There are points when cruising the speed/RPM's/etc. are just right and it's quieter than stock. Love the roar, the car feels just a smidge different or it's my imagination, and it's so much more a 6.0L sport sedan now, yet still quiet and pleasant like stock cruising. Went from seriously muffled V8 car unless pounded to a roaring beast that quiets at the right times. Other cool something? Pops & crackles at times with deceleration...I've only really gotten a chance to hear it all highway in all automatic mode, but should be fun to keep trying out.

Drove quite a ways to Lebanon, PA to meet another G8'r who had it on his since early summer and now just needed the money more, so it was a good deal for both and an EASY swap for the cool little shop he has work done at up there. 2 lifts, 2 cars side by side, exhausts swapped car to car.

Image00021.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Kinda felt bad still when my stocker was back on his and he went to leave "is it even running? Heh..." but oh well. He'll be okay...in time :AH-HA:

Next up: New Goodyear tires, and by chance, I finally got the call they were in on my drive home today. Thank god. I can't stand the shaking, pulling, noise, traction-less, etc. worn summer tires anymore. Makes the car a handful, for sure. Hope I like the tires.

Then...hmm...will need a new G8 project...

Edited by caddycruiser

Will you ever reach the G8 summit? Or do you think you'll always be thinking of new projects?:AH-HA:

I've thought I have at a few points, at least for what I want, but then I finish something like the exhaust (a biggie I didn't see happening for a while) and right at the install am looking around the car going...umm. Right now I'm just focused on the new tires because that's the biggest real issue I currently have, between the shaking, instability and degrading ride, they couldn't come soon enough. Hope they're what I'm expecting.

Next up, some little things, I think. A billet cap or two (not enough to LOOK added on aftermarket, just enough to be in between) underhood on the strut caps and such, and something...

I've thought of getting the stock 19" wheels chromed too, via exchange, but go back & forth on that one because I like the stock versions and the cleared machined finish so much as is.

With Pontiac gone, and with this car such an "ultimate" color/options/condition combo, I can't ever get rid of it, so I just have to keep the spirit alive!

GRRR...this car just GRRR...it sounds like a 6L beast now, from a stop, so much so through the first couple of gears--okay, everyone else carps it's too quiet, in G8 world--I still need some adjustment. Then almost silence cruising.

GRRR...finally, the sound of some balls whenever I'm around a stock Hemi Charger or even Camaro SS lately... :firebird:

Mom got her new Camaro yesterday and right before, in the morning, the G8 finally got its new tires mounted.

Goodyear Eagle GT performance all seasons...love 'em. Only on a day and the car doesn't feel as fully crisp as with the summer Bridgestones, but it already rides SO much better, doesn't shake, doesn't pull, has traction, and the road roar died. They should get a little better with a few more miles.

Combine these with the booming Corsa exhaust & these 2 things changed the car almost more than anything. It's like a different car from last week, and I'm enjoying it. Corsa is still pretty darn loud and there's an RPM rev range down low where it rumbles me for a few seconds, but it's still great. And it really just made the 6.0L shine vs. hum and alternator whine before.

have u noticed a performance improvement with the new exhaust? how much improvement in hp is expected with the Corsa?

Maybe a few horses. It feels a little peppier/more open, especially the first night I drove it home in the cold, it would break them loose a hair easier. Now with new stickier tires also installed it feels extremely strong and the sound is beautiful, it just pulls hard & smooth. About a week in on a system that was already broken in and no issues. This is on a car that's custom tuned for 93 octane & with a revised trans tune, and a Roto-Fab cold air intake as well. Feels good.

Don't know if the exhaust makes a huge difference, but especially when with a tune when dyno'd it seems like they always gain a few. And a friend with the same car in PA who's had a Corsa for more time claimed his picked up 1-2mpg with it. Haven't seen that, but with stickier tires, it's probably balanced out with new rolling resistance at the same time.

Okay, I do think the car perked up a little more, a week in. It's all in small steps, but just moving around in my daily driving, especially when it's cold, it seems to be a little freer and able to pull harder. Small difference, but noticeable.

And praise the Lord for the new Goodyear Eagle GT tires. Dramatic, huge, holy crap difference. Don't have the sharp edged feeling of the Bridgestones at times, but no real difference in handling, a much smoother ride, no shakes or shimmies regardless of the temp or how long it sat, traction all over and SILENT. Add in that they're very blocky and wide, with a huge rim protector, they even changed the look. Well worth the $$, and a necessity at that point, by 14k. Exhaust+tires, totally changed car that again makes me smile even more.

• 1 month later...

Hit 15k today, wow, in 11 months. Good thing...uh...

g8-15k.jpg

...Jack the Pacific Slate Pontiac from Oz may be getting a new friend...soon...perhaps...

We shall see...deedoodeedoo...unexpected, shocking even, development in the last 24 hours that I can't believe & hope works out...

...looking for a storage garage...perhaps...treasure...hmm...

Edited by caddycruiser

• 5 weeks later...

The G8 turned 1 year old, or 1 year since purchase, with 15.5k miles today :booyah:

I promptly put it up for sale. G8 & I had an awesome road tripping day, blasting around other cars & listening to the Corsa roar at higher speeds. What a beast. Nothing ever needed fixed, aside from the XM re-flash after purchase & then, well, the other stuff I just had changed or upgraded on my own. Holden KNOWS how to make a CAR. And like anything, drop a GM small block in it and you're set for life.

But up for sale it is, we've become close friends, and he (G8 became known as "Jack" in the past few months) understands. If and when sold, a truck or SUV of some sort will be in its place for the next year. Then...who knows...

Ahhh, what a year of utter automotive greatness. I love GM :AH-HA:

Will you post a link here to the site(s) you posted the car for sale at? Maybe someone from here would like to consider it? Or post a thread in the member marketplace thread with a link. Word of mouth advertising might help!!

Yes, planning on it ASAP! All the talk about it in the world doesn't get it sold...

One issue is I just need to get more out of it than it technically books for, due to the upgrades & otherwise. BUT, if like my G8 "bud" who just got out of his lease in a jiffy on the same car, IF GMAC accommodates transferring an active auto financing loan...someone could get this car with 60 of 72 months left at almost no interest & for a decent enough payment, with mods galore included.

Have a few more odds & ends to nail down, but spreading the word as I try to figure all the odds & ends out.

Just paid to have it listed on SwapALease.com through their New Loan Program, basically paying off my end and setting the buyer up with a new loan as if you bought it at their dealers. Will post the link shortly, once we get it updated.

Selling it for payoff and all mods included in that, everything. Higher than a typical all stock used one otherwise, but the upgrades & mods alone would set you back more than that to get another one to the same level.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...the 'ole G8 is as good as sold, traded in to a Chevy dealer in Atlanta, GA. Yes, really. In the move south, I think it will get to share space with a used white GXP. Sad days, but happy at the same time, off into another great new GM beast.

Oh, memories...someone is going to get a killer G8. I hope it finally gets some warmer weather & perhaps a garage 8)

Why'd you sell it?

Love it dearly, would buy multiples, but in the end just wanted a truck to sit up higher but still have that luxury car refinement, and also a little more flexibility with cargo or whatever. Lost the brute power, gain higher seating, beefier underpinnings and smooth, railroad trestle feel with mpg's similar or the same to the 6.0L G8. I've never had a truck and I wanted one, this winter may have spurred me more, in reality it was a long time coming. It should get a good new home, especially down south and with the mods still all on it. Front suspension bushings aside...never a SINGLE problem with it, just a tank and a thriller at that.

GM continues to pull me in every time, and at least they did again. It'll be weird because the truck is brand new but still a later build & now leftover '09, so I didn't gain in age, but did in so many other ways. We'll see. New thread eventually soon, and a continuation of this one as the 'ole G8 prepares to pack up and head south.

Edited by caddycruiser

Jack the G8 is gone. He's taking a rest overnight in VA, then will continue on his trip to Jim Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta, GA tomorrow.

Oh what a ride it was. Still had me smiling on his last trip, to meet my new truck. What a car. Just what a car. If I ever want a roomy, fast, refined, and SOLID sedan again, a G8 is 1st on the list, no doubt.

Last picture with me...

1267401417.jpg