Sign in to follow this  
Justin Bimmer

Honda Motor September 2009 Sales

Thanks for the link, Siegen.

Pretty cool little car. Hope Honda brings more like it our way.

I'd rather have that a thousand to one over a corolla.

Chris

as much as it seems i am trashing the fit, i'm not. but i agree on the automatic. the gearbox is quite good on the Fit, why wouldn anyone want an automatic?

it just seems to me that the Fit albeit a good car, is oversensationalized. kind of like the prius. it has one trick. in honda's case, two.

the fit handles well. and it has a larger than you would expect cargo area that is flexible with magic seats.

i don't think either of those two traits should make it such a starlet in the market. most of the cargo area is if you fold the rear seat bottom up. if you compare accessible height, width, and depth of the cargo area of the fit to other hatches or small wagons, with the rear seat up, the advantage is not really there.

as far as the car handling well, yes it does, however, there are other compacts and cars in that price range that are almost or really close to as nimble, and offer more solidity and refinement.

So that is my beef with the car. Not that the car is bad, its not. I just don't think its a completely well rounded package. I'd love the Fit if it were 2-3 grand cheaper. Once you start looking at horsepower, noise, interior, styling, solidity, build quality, space, you generally can find a more well rounded machine for the same money. That's why the Civic exists though.

If they stuffed a Civic motor in the FIt, the mpg would prob not go down much. Give it a six speed, put some sound deadener in the car. Give it a decent dashboard (there's not much they can do about the styling at this point) and then I think it starts to be something that can be more than a narrowly focused vehicle.

I am kind of waiting to see how Kia's Fit clone turns out, if they sell it here, and how cheap it is and how it performs.

IIRC it's like 85% or so automatic.

Wife wanted a manual Fit last year (thankfully we decided against that) and Manual fits were really hard to find.

Esp. the "Sport" model of the Fit in manual.

Chris

i would have seriously expected a 30% or higher take rate on the manual.

maybe with sales going down to sustainable levels, and now that the old ladies that hang out at the donut shops have bought them, maybe more of the serious Fit fans will push that manual take rate back up.

but if you think of manual cars in general, 15% is actually a very good take rate compared to what i thought i heard, 6% in the open market.

call me crazy, but pushing a steering wheel button is not a complete replacement for a shifter and clutch.

First, in regard to the Fit's Automatice: THE FIT SPORT COMES WITH A 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC. No car as small as the FIT offers a 5 speed automatic, and the automatice the fit has has paddle shifters.

Second, Anyone who knocks the FIT's back seat as not being functional and a class leading feature does not realize how poorly the other cars in this segment carry cargo. The FIT's seat folds absolutly FLAT. Not almost Flat. All the dam way!!. Also people should not knock the fold up feature either , beacause it is class leading also.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/interior-photos.aspx

Third, KIA has a car the goes head to head with the FIT. It is called the KIA RIO5. It has no fold flat back seat or a 5 speed auto with paddle shifter. And it also handles like the KIA it is.

Edited by NEXTEL CUP

Which is why I am posting in this discussion. I am not a huge Fit fan, but belive it is the best subcompact on the market for a general subcompact.

MINI is cool also (you all know my passion of them) however it is more of a niche product.

The Kia might as well be remade into beer cans for all I care.

Chris

First, in regard to the Fit's Automatice: THE FIT SPORT COMES WITH A 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC. No car as small as the FIT offers a 5 speed automatic, and the automatice the fit has has paddle shifters.

Second, Anyone who knocks the FIT's back seat as not being functional and a class leading feature does not realize how poorly the other cars in this segment carry cargo. The FIT's seat folds absolutly FLAT. Not almost Flat. All the dam way!!. Also people should not knock the fold up feature either , beacause it is class leading also.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/interior-photos.aspx

Third, KIA has a car the goes head to head with the FIT. It is called the KIA RIO5. It has no fold flat back seat or a 5 speed auto with paddle shifter. And it also handles like the KIA it is.

rio 5 is quite a bit cheaper so even though they may be the same 'size' the rio is in a different class to the consumer. price price price

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook