Chrysler 2010-2014

PONTIAC06

I don't get the obsession with the 500. Did it not come out in 2006? Does Chrysler really want to spend billions tooling up a plant to build a car that will be 6 years old before the first one rolls out of the factory?

Well, the old 500 was around for an eternity, so its iconic like the Beetle or the Mini. And most Americans have no idea what it is, so its new to them.

Looking at these PDFs was putting me to sleep... I guess I just want the meat of the plan.

ya, I just looked at the plans for each of the brands and then the overall product one. I'm a little worried about the fact that the only Jeep vehicle on Chrysler sourced platforms will be the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler. Makes me wonder what the B, C and D segment SUV's from Fiat will be like, and if they will be as capable off-road as the current Liberty and Patriot. I'm also a little curious about the 'international reallocation' of the Commander. Otherwise, I think all the changes over the next couple years should be positive for the brands.

name=CSpec

I don't get the obsession with the 500. Did it not come out in 2006? Does Chrysler really want to spend billions tooling up a plant to build a car that will be 6 years old before the first one rolls out of the factory?

I assume it's part of the plan to give Chrysler access to a credible subcompact with a car that may capture some of the Mini's cachet here....i.e. a stylish, premium subcompact rather than just another styleless generic like the Aveo.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Assuming that the Dodge fullsize CUV is based on the same platform as the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I really don't understand why this product is being developed for Dodge instead of Jeep. To me, a fullsize CUV based on the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform should rightfully be the next gen Commander instead of a Dodge fullsize CUV.

I would expect the Dodge compact sedan to be a sedan version of the next gen Fiat Bravo. I would expect the Chrysler compact sedan to be a sedan version of the next gen Lancia Delta. Expanding on this line of thought, I would expect the Dodge small car to be a rebadged next gen Fiat Grande Punto and the Chrysler small car to be a rebadged next gen Lancia Ypsilon.

I think the Caliber should be morphed into a proper compact CUV instead of discontinued. It sort of straddles the line between compact hatch and CUV now. I would just evolve a next gen version into a proper compact CUV. I do see quite a few of these out and about on the road.

The Town & Country should morph into more of an upscale MPV and lose some of its minivan persona.

The major refresh of the Sebring next year should be interesting. It will be nothing short of a major miracle (and a good indication of whether Fiat knows what it will take to successfully turn Chrysler around) if the car can be altered to make any sort of positive impact in the market. I would remove the C-pillar fakeout and slightly lengthen and significantly restyle the front and rear so that the refreshed version looks like a 7/8 scale mashup of the 2010 Taurus and next gen 300. I would make it more formal looking (which I believe was the original direction before someone forced the idea to make it look like the awkward Airflite Concept).

From the way the refreshes are marked on the Chrysler brand plan ("Major modification +"), the Sebring and Town & Country appear as though they are getting more significantly modified than their Avenger/Caravan counterparts.

The "Journey" name seems out of sync with the sportier persona of the Dodge brand. Just saying...

Overall, the plan looks promising and interesting... I sincerely hope its successful.

Assuming that the Dodge fullsize CUV is based on the same platform as the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I really don't understand why this product is being developed for Dodge instead of Jeep. To me, a fullsize CUV based on the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform should rightfully be the next gen Commander instead of a Dodge fullsize CUV.

The Commander hasn't been that successful, and the Dodge brand is the appropriate place for a meat-and-potatoes family truckster like the Durango was.

I assume it's part of the plan to give Chrysler access to a credible subcompact with a car that may capture some of the Mini's cachet here....i.e. a stylish, premium subcompact rather than just another styleless generic like the Aveo.

Somehow...I don't think the folks at Fiat have anything like the Aveo in the works for us.

Chris