My Whereabouts Now

Marc

Folks, I really feel honored that you noticed my absence from Cheers And Gears.

The reality of that situation is as such: This is a site for GM fans. I am no longer a GM fan, and for that reason I feel that I no longer belong here.

I am no longer a GM fan for one reason: The dropping of Oldsmobile by GM. I have been an Olds fan for 45 years now, and I just feel that GM made the biggest mistake it has ever made by cutting Olds.

Rather than making some insulting & derogatory remarks about what GM did with Olds, I decided to just quietly fade away.

I now spend a lot of time at the site that Flybrian mentioned.

GM!!! BRING BACK OLDS!!!

Posted Image

It's too bad. Hopefully, GM will make a product again that will make you want to be a fan again. It was hard on a lot of people with the loss of Olds but in a way it was good because it was phased out before any more damage could have been done. Looking at GMs current condition, I'm almost postive that if they didn't drop it then, they would've done it now. GM screwed it up and the executives had no idea on how to fix it so they just gave up. Makes you wonder how many other brands they were going to cut before they dealt with the backlash of cutting Olds.

Sheez, Marc, feel free to post every now and then...at least in The Lounge where it's not brand specific.

Well, have fun in whatever forum you hang your hat and don't freeze your ass off up in the Finger Lakes. (Sounds like a yearbook comment: Have fun in college and don't get in too much trouble).

Marc I can understand that completely - Heck I post here because these guys actually know about some of the classic Olds' that I have been around all my life.. (That and I am kind of a car nut in general! :) )

Try asking most 'car guys' if they know what a Jetfire is... Or what about a Curved Dash... heck most don't even know about Starfires... :P

Sheez, Marc, feel free to post every now and then...at least in The Lounge where it's not brand specific.

Well, have fun in whatever forum you hang your hat and don't freeze your ass off up in the Finger Lakes. (Sounds like a yearbook comment:  Have fun in college and don't get in too much trouble).

Actually.. the weather for the past month or so has been really nice. All the snow has melted away and we've had warmer then usual temperatures in Upstate NY since the last couple weeks of december. It's going to get close to 60 today in some areas. Unheard of in January. Thanks global warming!!!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Marc, I share your disappointment with the dropping of the Olds brand. Olds was always my favorite GM division (though Pontiac ran a very close second during what I see as its heyday back in the 1959-1970 period).

I have similar feelings about Daimler/Chrysler dropping the Plymouth brand. First car I ever rode in was a Plymouth and I tended to gravitate towards their models down through the years. Of course, they became mostly a "badge engineered" brand in the last decade or two of their existence--but at the end, they were beginning to be differentiated again.

Of course, Olds was even better differentiated with its separate models like the Aurora and even the Intrigue.

Edited by NeonLX

• 1 month later...

What GM lost was more then a name, it always took a different kind of person to buy an Oldsmobile. For the most part its always seemed to me that Olds owners kept their cars a little cleaner then other GM owners. They (I included) didnt think of another brand when the bought their car, and even though they may have had problems with Olds cars in the past they still felt that thier car was screwed together a bit better then other cars and that the paint had a little more shine. Most Olds owners have had more then one Oldsmobile, and even though they werent a large group (compared to Ford or Chevy) they managed to buy over 35 million Oldsmobiles and many remained loyal to the brand until the end. I think GM lost the industries most loyal group of owners.

• 1 month later...

I was one of those loyal to the end guys. Even though GM made the worst mistake of their life, I bought one of the Final 500 Alero's. Everytime I look at it, and then my 71 442 I shake my head and wonder who was the moron who made the ultimate decision(may he rot in HELL). :angry::banghead::blink::angry: