Sometimes I hate people...

gm4life

Walk out to my Torrent this morning (dirt covered) and noticed behind my rear wheel on the bumper a foot long mark from a shopping (or something like it). Hoping it will rub I out I washed the fender, then after washing it, I realize it had actually taken off the paint! :fiery: Now I guess I am going to turn it into insurance, because it must have happen out X-Mas shopping yesturday, sometimes I really hate people! I try to respect other peoples cars even if it is an Toyota Prius (which I hate) my rule of thumb is treat others cars how you would want yours treated. Piss on me... :(

Edited by gm4life

Pics? Agreed that touch up paint doesn't always cut it. Do the scratches go down to bare metal? I'd like to see pics, because I'm willing to bet you can take a lot of the marks out yourself, then use touch up paint the parts you can't.

No it is plastic but the paint and clear are both gone, and now I see gray. It really looks like sh*t!

Edited by gm4life

If the fender metal or plastic? I'm confused now. If it only went down to the gray primer, you an take the scratches out yourself.

Problem them comes it will need to be painted, and it will be alot of touch up paint. (It still wouldn't look right!) The other half saw it, as it is her primary car and was ticked off! I got the in her poor little voice "why did this happen to my cute lil purple thing" (what she calls the SUV) and said this is getting fixed, and not with touch up paint. That settles that, the insurance company will be getting a call, and I will be forking over 250 bucks most likely, to get it fixed. All because some sh*t head couldn't keep a hold of a cart or just plain didn't give a $h!.

Edited by gm4life

If it were my Torrent, you can bet it would be fixed, and not with some cheesy touchup paint. Good Lord, this man has pride in his vehicle, he keeps it nice, he should have it fixed. Something this small most likely will not raise your insurance premiums. If you can see dark gray in the scratch, YES, it is through the paint on the plastic bumper, you cannot rub out paint that is not there. If you get a chance, please post a clear photo for us.

• Disagree 1

I just think it's generally a bad idea to go to insurance unless absolutely necessary. Getting the part repainted, even professionally, most certainly isn't worth the cost of the deductible + rise in insurance premiums.

In general, I agree.

Why not choose the middle ground and get an estimate before making a claim?

• Agree 1

I'm not referring to touch up paint. I'm refering to good scratch removal remover products and a buffer:

vondavette2.jpg

vondavette4.jpg

Video tutorial of this very car here, the guy does amazing work: http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11106

I would try that route before spending hundreds on having the fender repainted, unless the majority scratches go down to bare metal/plastic. Then repainting is the best option,a nd then I wouldn't go the insurance route.

The difference here is... there is still paint on the Corvette bumper, which is necessary for the product to work, which it did, quite well by appearances. By gm4life's description though, the paint is gone off his bumper. No polish can restore paint that is not there.

If it were my Torrent, you can bet it would be fixed, and not with some cheesy touchup paint. Good Lord, this man has pride in his vehicle, he keeps it nice, he should have it fixed. Something this small most likely will not raise your insurance premiums. If you can see dark gray in the scratch, YES, it is through the paint on the plastic bumper, you cannot rub out paint that is not there. If you get a chance, please post a clear photo for us.

Thank you Ocn exactly my thoughts. You know how much I care about all my cars. I really do take great pride in them and in taking care of them. I keep my cars ALONG time and keep them nice. I am not one of them whom says good enough, or screw it when it comes to my cars. They are a HUGE investment and treat them as such. Even if they aren't a classic Firebird or Impala! I have a 200 or 250 deductable so it is certainly cheaper than a 500 cost to repaint it. (just my guess) It is getting fixed and that is that, no I have good insurnace on my cars and haven't had any big claims over $500, in the past 15 years! (I am a good client and am not too worried.)

I'm not referring to touch up paint. I'm refering to good scratch removal remover products and a buffer:

vondavette2.jpg

vondavette4.jpg

Video tutorial of this very car here, the guy does amazing work: http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11106

I would try that route before spending hundreds on having the fender repainted, unless the majority scratches go down to bare metal/plastic. Then repainting is the best option,a nd then I wouldn't go the insurance route.

I have done this many times before and wouldn't have even posted it, if this was the case. I am picky but not that picky, I would have buffed that out and tried that before going to the body shop. As you can tell from the photos sadly buffing it out or touch paint that I have and use is not the solution.

Keep us posted!

Sorry about your luck, but in general, people just suck. Earlier this year someone in aparking lot did $800 worth of damage to my Miata and drove away.

People are just jerks, sometimes.

Chris

I can see a body line in the plastic has been disturbed, and another small gouge below the taillight. The bumper cover will have to be removed from the vehicle, (to avoid tape lines that can allow paint peelback in the future) filled, sanded and painted, then reinstalled. Looks like a 2-day repair, nothing major, just a pain in the butt on your nearly new vehicle. Let us know how you make out... and in your original post you first said bumper, but then you said fender in the same post, hence DF's confusion.

That sucks, goes down to the plastic. Also that's not the fender (you said fender in your original post, hence the confusion). Good luck getting it fixed.

Thanks yeah sorry, that is why I ended up taking the photos.

I can see a body line in the plastic has been disturbed, and another small gouge below the taillight. The bumper cover will have to be removed from the vehicle, (to avoid tape lines that can allow paint peelback in the future) filled, sanded and painted, then reinstalled. Looks like a 2-day repair, nothing major, just a pain in the butt on your nearly new vehicle. Let us know how you make out... and in your original post you first said bumper, but then you said fender in the same post, hence DF's confusion.

Yeah I know thanks for kind words. Over my X-Mas break this will be taken care of.