Jeep Grand Cherokee questions...

So, my 19 year old daughter has a 17 year old friend. 17 year old friend "Britney" (not her real name) was given a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with an inline 6 as a gift when she got her permit two years ago at 15 1/2. Jeep was bought new by her grandparents....and has had good care. About 150K on it...

My questions...what weak spots are there on these vehicles? Her father and grandfather ran a buisiness that for years was very profitable...sold the buisiness...and now the guy they sold it to has run it into the ground. Girl's father is loosing his job Dec. 31.

So...I want to know what to look for that is specific for this vehicle to help her keep it running through the rest of high school and college for her. Only place the truck is rusting is by the front passenger shock mount. Do these rust often here? Where else do they rust? What weaknesses do the I-6 Mopar motors have in these? Tranny weaknesses?

Also, tires are about shot on the rig. Am thinking about trying to get her a set of new front cheapies and rear tires off of a CFC truck at the local yard.

Does anyone know what the bolt pattern is for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and what other wheels will fit on this thing? Couple of local yards have good tire/wheel combos, even on alloys, that are cheaper even than getting a used set of tires balanced.

Don;t know really how to help her, as she is trying to keep the thing running on what she makes working part time a few hours a week at a local resteraunt.

Sorry for the rambling post...

Chris

Tires are shot because they are age checking and cracking, also the tread is wearing down.

Tires seem to be wearing evenly...but the $60 to put it on an alignment rack at a local tire store might be money well spent. I am a little worried about the rusting shock mount...

Chris

Transmissions are a known weak spot on the pre-'00 models. Find out if it has the original transmission or it's been rebuilt.

Brakes are another weak area. They tend to eat rotors and pads about every 25-30k miles. The '99 was worse than the '00, from what I've read.

A notorious weak part is the driver's seat track and frame--they tend to get stress cracks above 100k miles, as I found out this summer.

Power windows can be an issue, I've heard (never had a problem w/ mine).

I've been able to get about 50k out of a set of tires on mine. According to Wikipedia, it has a 5x5 bolt pattern--the 5 x 5 bolt pattern (also 5 x 127 mm), although common to GM rear wheel drive vehicles and light duty trucks/vans, has spread beyond its use with GM (and Ford with their 1973 to 1978 LTDs and Lincolns). Chrysler first used the 5 x 5 pattern on full-size half-ton Dodge Ram pickups and Dodge Ramcharger SUVs in 1986.

No idea about rust areas since I've only had mine in dry climates (CO, AZ).

The 4.0L 6 is basically a robust and reliable engine, but is prone to leaks (oil pan gasket, front main seal, valve cover gasket, etc).

I've had the transfer case and rear axle re-sealed twice, though some of the leaks and seal issues may be more prevalent in dry climates.

Hood struts also, I'm on my 3rd set.

It may be because of my past off-roading and curb/median jumping, but I've had to have mine aligned every 5000 miles or so...seems to get out of alignment easily.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Probably good advice, Bond, esp. in Ohio. She has zero $, which is the thrust of my original post. My wife and I may have to throw some cash towards some decent tires, but not sure how her parents would take us putting tires on their daughters car. They are friends of ours, and like I said they used to be doing very well financially.

Not sure how not to make that "salt in the wound" of their current financial situation.

I'll think of something.

Cubical, thanks for the response!

Chris

I would echo the sentiments about making sure everything with the brakes are in good shape. Mine hasn't had any problems other than needing a new cooling fan module and switch (which which can be pretty pricey) and needing new pads relatively often. As far as Rust goes, I can't offer any help because mine has been in Wyoming for all of it's 6 years, and there's not a spot on it...

Probably good advice, Bond, esp. in Ohio. She has zero $, which is the thrust of my original post. My wife and I may have to throw some cash towards some decent tires, but not sure how her parents would take us putting tires on their daughters car. They are friends of ours, and like I said they used to be doing very well financially.

Not sure how not to make that "salt in the wound" of their current financial situation.

I'll think of something.

Cubical, thanks for the response!

Chris

Oh look! You found that old set of tires in your garage from your uncle's wrecked Jeep.... you couldn't figure out what to do with them and were going to throw them out, but they look to be in decent enough shape that she could use them. He only had 8,000 miles on them when he totaled the Jeep.