Random thought of the day--what was the last car to offer a factory vinyl top?

I don't think the Towncar one is factory.

Yeah, I don't think they've had a factory vinyl top since the '80s. My Dad's '84 and '87 had the factory 1/2 padded tops as part of the Cartier or other package, IIRC. His '91 and '96 didn't have them.

Vinyl tops on Town Cars certainly were commonplace in the 1980s. At the rate I seem to have seen them wearing them, it would be very cost-inneffective to have them all farmed out, esp when Lincoln previously already did them in-house.

Here's a page from the '87 brochure :

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=72024

Text states that 'even the 'base' Lincoln Town Car gets a full vinyl roof'.

Body was redesigned for '98- from random Googling '01, '00, '99, '98 & '97 images, I can believe that redesign was the change-over point for Lincoln WRT factory vs. aftermarket vinyl roofs. As soon as they get 'carriage-roofy', they're aftermarket.

Vinyl tops on Town Cars certainly were commonplace in the 1980s. At the rate I seem to have seen them wearing them, it would be very cost-inneffective to have them all farmed out, esp when Lincoln previously already did them in-house.

Here's a page from the '87 brochure :

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=72024

Text states that 'even the 'base' Lincoln Town Car gets a full vinyl roof'.

Body was redesigned for '98- from random Googling '01, '00, '99, '98 & '97 images, I can believe that redesign was the change-over point for Lincoln WRT factory vs. aftermarket vinyl roofs. As soon as they get 'carriage-roofy', they're aftermarket.

Regular vinyl tops probably went away w/ the '90 redesign. I don't recall seeing any '90-97 style ones with full vinyl tops. Some had the padded 1/2 tops and carriage roof tops. I've always liked the styling of the '90-97 TCs. Didn't care for the '98-02, w/ the odd tiny grille and odd headlights. The '03 update that is still around looks a lot better, IMHO.

Likewise w/ the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, AFAIK they offered regular vinyl tops throughout the square Panther era ('79-91).

That brochures site is pretty cool..will have to explore it some.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Regular vinyl tops probably went away w/ the '90 redesign. I don't recall seeing any '90-97 style ones with full vinyl tops. Some had the padded 1/2 tops and carriage roof tops. I've always liked the styling of the '90-97 TCs. Didn't care for the '98-02, w/ the odd tiny grille and odd headlights. The '03 update that is still around looks a lot better, IMHO.

I really don't like the Towncars with the severely curved down rear roof... seriously limits headroom. Sucks when you are in a limo, and have to scoot down so you feel like your almost lying down to avoid having the roof on your head.

>>"Regular vinyl tops probably went away w/ the '90 redesign. I don't recall seeing any '90-97 style ones with full vinyl tops. Some had the padded 1/2 tops and carriage roof tops."<<

As I have zero interest in Town Cars, I'll buy that for a dollar.

But you never addressed the GM question/answer there, Cubitar.

>>"Regular vinyl tops probably went away w/ the '90 redesign. I don't recall seeing any '90-97 style ones with full vinyl tops. Some had the padded 1/2 tops and carriage roof tops."<<

As I have zero interest in Town Cars, I'll buy that for a dollar.

But you never addressed the GM question/answer there, Cubitar.

Probably the '93-96 RWD Caddy Fleetwood Brougham. For non-Cadillacs, maybe the '90 Caprice for Chevy, '86 Parisienne for Pontiac, no idea about Buick or Olds...maybe one of the FWD h- or C- bodies.