balthazar

riches to rags

7 posts in this topic

One automotive pioneer actually worked on the assembly line of the car he (in part) created (well after it was established, and yes; as his then occupation).

You know the name; now- who be he.... ?

Well, I'm pretty sure Mr. Buick died a pauper......

you thinking of Buickman. hahah

can't delorien...

ugh.. the Cobra guy.... ugh

or Lee Iacocoa

There was the guy that ended up running a bowling alley in Michigan....Sloan or Durant, I think?

Too many possibilities here...

The "in part" qualifier made me think of Louis Chevrolet.

The 'guy who ran a bowling alley' was Durant.

Sloan was much too shrewd a businessman to end up broke, but he (along with others) supported Durant for the rest of his life, from their own pockets, in recognition of all he had unceremoniously accomplished.

You'd never see something like that done in the last 40 years.

-- -- -- -- --

When Durant re-capitalized Buick Motors, Buick got shuffled aside. His work in the engineering department was "unappreciated", and he ended up with an insignificant job in sales. Buick left Buick in 1908. He subsequently lost a great deal of his personal wealth speculating in CA land deals. Buick spent his last 2 years teaching mechanical engineering & drawing in Detroit, not broke, but likewise no longer in possession of the riches he had had, more than once, previous in his lifetime. He died in 1929.

-- -- -- -- --

>>"The "in part" qualifier made me think of Louis Chevrolet."<<

And that's the answer :: Louis Chevrolet came back to Chevrolet as a "lowly" line mechanic in the '30s, and died relatively broke in 1941. Well remembered, Camino!

-- -- -- -- --

The above is yet another example of what I rail against- the vast unrecorded history of GM's past (& inner workings). Why isn't it known exactly when Chevrolet returned to work for GM ? This should be readily-retrievable information- not a 10-yr range of a guess.

Whew!

Got back a shred of my dignity after that last stumper.

Keep'em coming!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor