This makes me want to PUKE!

>>"Of the roughly two million Toyota cars and trucks sold in the U.S. in 2004, 1.15 million of them were built right here...

Toyota pumped nearly $25 billion... into the U.S. economy in 2004 with purchases of American auto parts, materials and other goods and services. "<<

Observations:

* toyota only assembles 55% of their vehicles sold here.

* if the average toyota costs $25000, the per-car investment into US auto parts and materials and services (undoubtedly including such costs as plant utility bills, taxes, advertising, etc) is roughly $12,500 per car. Eliminate everything not tangibly installed in the vehicle and what's left- $5000? Who knows? On a $25,000 car/truck, $5000 in US-sourced parts??? And this is only 55% of the volume sold??

And some here are of the opinion that 'toyota is more American than General Motors/Chevy/insert-marque-to-be-demeaned here?

a-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Observations:

* toyota only assembles 55% of their vehicles sold here.

Just out of curiosity, how many GM vehicles sold in the US are built outside of the US, i.e. Canada and Mexico. I know its more than the 850,000 Toyota imports but I wonder what the percentage is.

I can't speak for Mexico's numbers, but don't forget that Canada also BUYS a lot of American made parts and American assembled vehicles. Japan buys diddly squat. How many AMerican cars are sold in Japan? Thousands, not millions.

Of the 1.5 million vehicles sold in Canada every year, almost 60% are from the Big Three. So Canada gives as good as it gets.

Not so for Japan.

That really pisses me off.

If i could drive I would smash my car into the back of every Toyota symbol I see in front of me on the track. there F1 isnt doing that good either is there truck segment. so Chevy Ford dodge, (hopfully pontiac soon come on the GTO) go kick some Toyota ass. I'll have fun making comments at people this year at the Michigan 500!!!!

With out the big three i wouldnt be where I was today. Even at my chop I refuse to work on any thing other than big three except for european and Honda NSX's or S2000's

400,000 employees (direct and indirect) the company has across the U.S. that it's a Japanese-only firm

LOL...talk about cooking the numbers! And the PROPAGANDA continues...

Maybe he can convince some of those last, loyal "Rednecks" that buying "4-N" is okay.

It really pisses me off that everyone gets so bent out of shape about stereotyping, unless it's something like this... The dumb ass should be shot for implying that all NASCAR fans are like this... I USED to be a HUGE NASCAR fan and my family has been in the sport for years, yet, I'm not a redneck... It's stupid.... No stereotyping... UNLESS it's about, whites, rednecks, christians or 'dumb ass people who still buy domestic and believe that GM and Ford actually help the economy and think that America's economy actually still matters above globalism.'

I say GOD BLESS THEM! Had it not been for FIERCLY loyal people like these (Who are a dieing breed) The media would've killed Detroit long ago.

Erlanger and Georgetown, Ky.; Princeton, Ind.; Fremont, Calif.; St. Louis and Troy, Mo.; Huntsville, Ala.; San Antonio; and Buffalo, W. Va.

This kind of "INFORMING THE CONSUMER" will continue until NO ONE CARES THAT GM and FORD are american and contribute VASTLY more to our economy.

Good 'ole america.... We're everybody's b8tch.... "The companies can be OWNED by anyone... That doesn't matter. As long as Billy-Bob has a minimum wage job."

But it's common to see American NASCAR fans driving to the races in Toyotas sporting stickers of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Rusty Wallace and the like – and don't forget the countless other Japanese-brand vehicles such as Nissan and Honda in race track parking lots from Talladega to Fontana.

Showing 2 things... New NASCAR fans are younger and hypocrits... Oh, and that NASCAR does NOTHING to promote buying domestic.

I've owned only four brands of cars in my life, and they've all given me years of good service and reliability: Dodge, Chevrolet, Buick and Toyota. They were all fairly well-made and performed almost identically to the other. So what if one was built in Canada (Dodge Intrepid), or another in Japan (Toyota Supra), while the others were built in the U.S.?

Ummm.... Your economy....

BTW, how about a little bit of that CANDID honestly about the domestics being on par IN the GENERAL MEDIA a little more often??!?!?!?!?

Toyota's roots may be in Japan, but the ingenuity will come from American drivers, American-owned teams, American crew members and American engineers.

:bs:

The PR machine will spin that &#036;h&#33; to where it came straight out of Japan... And as soon as Toyota dominates (As they will--afterall, they are the second coming) The media will b*tchslap Detroit around a little more with the "Coming to your own turf and being better than you--as usual"

You can't get much more American than that. It almost makes me want to go out and buy some apple pie and vanilla ice cream to go along with my sushi.

Yep.... Nothing more new age american than bowing down to, working for and obeying another country at the expense of selling out our own...

Now that's innovation.... THAT's Moving Forward

Damn FOG....mad aren't ya? I don't agree with the writer one bit there, I'm not a redneck, sure I live in the south, I hunt, I fish, and I work on my own cars, but that doesn't make me one bit redneck, and oh yeah, I love NASCAR, considering I've met several of the drivers and I work for a major sponsor of NASCAR (CarQuest Auto Parts), I'm entitled to think that Toyotas are pieces of &#036;h&#33;, sure they can be reliable little boxes just like any other car, I can't knock the reliability factor, I've seen too many running around. I can however knock the fact that the media jumps at anything that bashes the Big 3. I rarely ever see recall information on any of the Asian marques, or the European marques, however; let it be a GM, FoMoCo, or DCX ride and it'll be front-page "this just in" news. Anyways, that's just my two cents and for y'all that do think I'm a redneck, then you may happily kiss my redneck donkey.

I can't speak for Mexico's numbers, but don't forget that Canada also BUYS a lot of American made parts and American assembled vehicles.  Japan buys diddly squat.  How many AMerican cars are sold in Japan?  Thousands, not millions.

Of the 1.5 million vehicles sold in Canada every year, almost 60% are from the Big Three.  So Canada gives as good as it gets.

Not so for Japan.

Thank You. Canadian's are not deuchebags about their "importation" of American Products. Besides Canada and the USA have for decades been brothers in arms ...next question.

NASCAR needs to start over. They've evolved themselves out of relevance, imo. It would be so much more fun to watch real stock cors go round in circles than the clones that are out there now. Just take out the interior, put in a race seat, weld in a roll cage, replace the glass with Lexan, put on speed rated tires, omit the top speed cutoff, remove the catalytic converters, and let 'em race. THAT would breed a better car for the street. Edited by ocnblu

NASCAR needs to start over.  They've evolved themselves out of relevance, imo.  It would be so much more fun to watch real stock cors go round in circles than the clones that are out there now.  Just take out the interior, put in a race seat, weld in a roll cage, replace the glass with Lexan, put on speed rated tires, omit the top speed cutoff, remove the catalytic converters, and let 'em race.  THAT would breed a better car for the street.

THANK YOU!!!!

I couldn't agree more!!

plus it would represent the product better. like if they actually raced a monte carlo. Only thing i think mopar would have the races now :blink:

Imagine thats how the Superbird was born!!