Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM to build two hybrid SUVs in Texas

GM to build two hybrid SUVs in Texas

Wed Feb 1, 2006 9:19 AM ET

DETROIT, Feb 1 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Wednesday it will build Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon hybrid sport-utility vehicles at its Arlington, Texas, plant in late 2007.

The hybrid system is being advanced and adapted by BMW (BMWG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research), DaimlerChrysler AG (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) and GM for use in cars, trucks and SUVs.

GM, the world's largest automaker, also said it will produce the world's first light-duty integrated hybrid transmission, to be designed and built at its Baltimore, Maryland, transmission plant.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompa...425&symbol=GM.N

rather it be done right, than be rushed and be crappy.

GM has ALOT riding on the Tahoe Hybrid, they mess that up (system, batteries, reliability, quality) they would be DOOOOOmed

its a very good system much better then toyotas, much cheaper too...

it should improve fuel ecconomy by 20% according to what i've read...

so that would likely increase fuel ecconomy to 19-26... if its 20% exactly... which it might be better or worse. but that would be applaudable if they got city mileage in the 20's, would make people think twice about a toyota...

Wow, GM did an about face.  They told analysts at the show that Escalade hybrid wasn't coming until Q3 2008 with Tahoe and Yukon in Q3 2007.  All three will be made in Arlington.

That is the truth - this must have been a real recent decision on the Escalade hybrid.

How many workers in foreign nations have you spoken with?  Why did they say that they had no pride in the job that they had?

I havent spoken to any. I'm from Fort Worth which is the main city in the same county Arlington is in. I spoke to this guy at the Wal-Mart I was doing security for. He was wearing a jacket that had his name and what he builds.