C&G, Here's Your Sign!

I'm intrigued by "sign shots"; signs direct you to somewhere, tell a story, or just capture your attention. The following are a few "signs shots" I've taken. Since I'm sharing different ones with other boards, I may add more here later....

0685_091409d10_AZslgmn_SNWCPsign.jpg

DS16_112709d1_IL_barn66sign.jpg

0395_091109d07_TXvega_magnl1.jpg

0034_090509d01_ILatlnt_murial.jpg

sign66.jpg

signBVG.jpg

Anyone else fascinated by signs or take "sign shots"?

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.Caprice|models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows|RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Are we too blind to see?" ... Elvis Presley ... 'In The Ghetto'

Anyone else fascinated by signs or take "sign shots"?

I collect old metal (enameled, painted, porcelain) signs and other similar pieces of advertising if that counts. If anybody has something of that nature taking up space, I may buy it if it's interesting and the price is right. Let me know!

Not because I like signs but because I like to play around. This and some others wer taken to test a camera and lens hand held at night. This shot was taken from 250ft from the building. The person that bought this camera said they could not get in focus shots day or night. I gave him a few lessons and he still uses that little gem of a camera.

Image data

File Size: 341 kb - 800 x 600

Camera Make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY

Camera Model: KODAK P850 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA

Date/Time: 2005:10:08 20:36:57

Resolution: 800 x 600

Flash Used: No

Focal Length: 72.0mm (35mm equivalent: 432m...

Digital Zoom: 1.200x

Exposure Time: 0.312 s (1/3)

Aperture: f/3.7

ISO Equiv.: 100

Whitebalance: Auto

Metering Mode: matrix

Exposure: program (auto)

post-2804-12706769067301.jpg

This is across two very large parking lots and a four lane divided hiway. Handheld like the other.

File Size: 245 kb - 800 x 600

Date/Time: 2005:10:08 22:05:20

Resolution: 800 x 600

Focal Length: 72.0mm (35mm equivalent: 432m...

Exposure Time: 0.500 s (1/2)

Aperture: f/3.7

These pictures have been cropped all to H and that is all, no touch up.

post-2804-12706772842883.jpg

Edited by RjION

Picture three of that test with a fair amount of zoom.

File Size: 152 kb - 800 x 719

Date/Time: 2005:10:09 05:39:39

Resolution: 800 x 719

Focal Length: 56.8mm (35mm equivalent: 343m...

Exposure Time: 0.200 s (1/5)

Aperture: f/3.6

post-2804-12706777124328.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I collect old metal (enameled, painted, porcelain) signs and other similar pieces of advertising if that counts.

Yep, definitely counts! I have a few of those myself, though no pics right now...lol.

Cool pics, RJ!

3 more:

DS03_112709d1_ILdwight_JavaMurial.jpg

0005_090509d01_ILfgrv_HQdisplay.jpg

0463_091109d07_NMmorty_ElComNeon.jpg

I may share more later....

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Not sure if I shoulda put it in writing" ... Chely Wright ... 'Single White Female'

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, definitely counts! I have a few of those myself, though no pics right now...lol.

Cool pics, RJ!

3 more:

DS03_112709d1_ILdwight_JavaMurial.jpg

0005_090509d01_ILfgrv_HQdisplay.jpg

0463_091109d07_NMmorty_ElComNeon.jpg

I may share more later....

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Not sure if I shoulda put it in writing" ... Chely Wright ... 'Single White Female'

Hey Knightfan the last pic with the pointed sphere looks like an old Flintz Hamburger place. Our last one in Dayton OH closed up in 1974 down the street from my High School, they were so good as was Red Barn.

Thanx Balthazar I never knew about that one, of what I'd read of Durant in GM history I just thought he went broke & dried up. More to learn :smilewide:

The basics : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durant_Motors

Durant also had a huge successful career before GM with the Durant-Dort Carraige Co. I've yet to read one of the handful of books on Durant, but idle he wasn't.

Edited by balthazar

This hangs in my shop. Star was a brand under Durant after he left GM and gave it a go at building 'GM II'. Star : 1922 - 1928.

STAR.jpg

How much y'want fer it? (Not that I'll be able to buy it right now if you even toss out a number; I promised the girl no more bringing stuff in until my latest project is finished!)

^ Well, there's no pointing in naming my price then, is there ?? ;)

I could always keep it in mind for future reference. Or perhaps you collect things I may have or know where to find and we could work out a trade?

Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu :spin:

Edited by XP715

Not being a hardass with the above. ;)

Last (only) time I saw one sell it went for $450.

I really don't collect stuff anymore (besides print ads); but at one time it encompassed TVs, typwewriters, phones, flashlights, lamps, radios, tools, etc etc. I have been slowly liquidating my inventory in the last few years (well... not my tools).

As far as trades, I would talk over B-59 parts...

Edited by balthazar

Not being a hardass with the above. ;)

Last (only) time I saw one sell it went for $450.

I really don't collect stuff anymore (besides print ads); but at one time it encompassed TVs, typwewriters, phones, flashlights, lamps, radios, tools, etc etc. I have been slowly liquidating my inventory in the last few years (well... not my tools).

As far as trades, I would talk over B-59 parts...

That's fair and I'll keep that in mind. I hear you about liquidating; I've been doing that myself a bit lately. Not cutting back for good as my collecting days are far from over, but more like narrowing my focus. I've sold off a bunch of stuff, banked the money in savings, and am now going after three or four things I really like (instead of dozens). If need be, though, I could get rid of everything but my pressed steel toy collection and a few other select items. But I still can't wait for my latest project to be done not only so I can enjoy it, but also so I can get back to hunting for the stuff I really want. Already had to pass up on a few good toys and a nice old Zenith chairside radio I've wanted for ages. Lucky for me they made more than one, I guess.....

Edited by XP715

I talked to the son of a friend of mine who recently passed away (unfortunately). During conversation, we got around to one of the vintage cars he owned, and as how I really loved it. Although he said a big wheel had a standing offer to fly in and write a check for a number of the cars (not this one necessarily), the son said he'd rather this one go to someone who really liked it. He drove it a few times as a kid. I left him my name & number. I told all this to my wife and you should've seen the tidy combo look of anger & horror she shot me.

I'll not spill the beans as to what the car is, but suffice it to say it's monsterously huge, has been pointedly featured on these pages in pics/discussion, is "old" by all accounts, custom-bodied & reportedly 1 of 2. Luckily, there are 4 applicable parts cars that could come with it, I believe.

What the hell did I do ???? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This hangs in my shop. Star was a brand under Durant after he left GM and gave it a go at building 'GM II'. Star : 1922 - 1928.

STAR.jpg

Ohhh...that's awesome! :)

Hey Knightfan the last pic with the pointed sphere looks like an old Flintz Hamburger place. Our last one in Dayton OH closed up in 1974 down the street from my High School, they were so good as was Red Barn.

Oh, cool. This isn't that place, though ... it's a restaurant in NM along Route 66.

What the hell did I do ???? :lol:

BUY IT!!!

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *

"You don't know until you begin" ... Van Halen ... 'Jump'