The Curse and other assorted musings

Today I too was the victim of the C&G Curse. Rear ended by a Toyota Camry taxicab (I guess you can only talk sh!t about Toyota so long without one of them coming to get you).

I'm in my car sitting at a stoplight when I feel a huge bump and look in my mirror to see a cab has run into me. Driver was drinking from a water bottle and dropped it approaching the stoplight... The water bottle was pinned behind his brake pedal and he said he couldn't stop. I'll post some pics of the damage but suffice to say the whole bloody bumper needs to be replaced (FML).

:angry:

Sorry to hear that..so many accidents happen due to dumb driver moves.. the rear end and broadside collision I had in '94 was caused by a Ford employee in an Econoline van that bent down to pick up a notebook that had fallen off the dash. Plowed into the car behind me at about 45 mph...(both were stopped in the turn lane of a busy 4 lane road)

*grabs clipboard and pen*

Let's see, replace rear bumper cover and impact absorber, add flex additive... carry the two... hmmm...

Based on your photos, it looks like a quick repair that did not affect the structure of the car. Is the trunk lid fitting properly? These Impys are tanks in rear end collisions. You can clearly see the marks from his front license plate screws.

Edited by ocnblu

Trunk lid is fine but since I was stopped when he hit me I want the wheel alignment checked... also the impact must have loosened something because immediately afterward two door panels and the dash pad area are rattling when they hadn't before (still under warranty until end of June so no big deal). I honestly expected more damage than there was since the impact was pretty hard (must have been going about 20-25kph when he hit me). That being said I'm lucky enough to not have a sore neck, the only 'injury' if you could call it that is sore muscles in my left arm which must have been hyper-extended since I never let go of the steering wheel in the whole impact.

For those wondering, this is where it happened:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.06876,-114.128828&spn=0,0.002411&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.068798,-114.128921&panoid=_7ymT6TQWdhhiBiadOJbrg&cbp=12,166.08,,0,0.34

@ Ocn I already had the dealership appraise it and they quoted me a price of about 1350$ CDN preliminarily for the repair, does that sound in the ballpark? Doesn't really matter since the other guy's insurance is paying for it, just curious.

Trunk lid is fine but since I was stopped when he hit me I want the wheel alignment checked... also the impact must have loosened something because immediately afterward two door panels and the dash pad area are rattling when they hadn't before (still under warranty until end of June so no big deal). I honestly expected more damage than there was since the impact was pretty hard (must have been going about 20-25kph when he hit me). That being said I'm lucky enough to not have a sore neck, the only 'injury' if you could call it that is sore muscles in my left arm which must have been hyper-extended since I never let go of the steering wheel in the whole impact.

For those wondering, this is where it happened:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.06876,-114.128828&spn=0,0.002411&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.068798,-114.128921&panoid=_7ymT6TQWdhhiBiadOJbrg&cbp=12,166.08,,0,0.34

@ Ocn I already had the dealership appraise it and they quoted me a price of about 1350$ CDN preliminarily for the repair, does that sound in the ballpark? Doesn't really matter since the other guy's insurance is paying for it, just curious.

Well vonVee, I cannot really compute with the exchange rates and all. As far as the alignment goes, I have a hard time getting insurance to pay for that unless there is a direct impact to a wheel, the structure is moved (unibody frame rails, etc.), the car is slid sideways, or the car goes into a curb or into a ditch.

Edited by ocnblu