Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chrysler coming back to earth

jrockb4

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...UTO01/602090391

While I will give Chrysler credit for being profitable and gaining market share, could they be sprouting a leak? They do seem to have some fairly exciting new products coming (I like the Caliber, Nitro and some of the things coming from Jeep), but you have to wonder if they can keep up the momentum.

The fact is, the next stable of products are not out-of-the-ballpark hits, like the 300C.

Don't get me wrong, they're good, but not great. All suffer from cheap interiors, poor styling execution, and some underpowered engines. A few hits will surely be the 4.0L Nitro, Wrangler, and Patriot. The Compass is nearly guaranteed to fail...it's hideous and lacks power. The next Sebring looks like an engineering jumble with a cost-cut interior...not good in a fiercely competitive midsize market. I'd really like to see Chrysler's momentum continue, but I am not sure that these new products have what it takes.

The fact is, the next stable of products are not out-of-the-ballpark hits, like the 300C.

Don't get me wrong, they're good, but not great.  All suffer from cheap interiors, poor styling execution, and some underpowered engines.  A few hits will surely be the 4.0L Nitro, Wrangler, and Patriot.  The Compass is nearly guaranteed to fail...it's hideous and lacks power.  The next Sebring looks like an engineering jumble with a cost-cut interior...not good in a fiercely competitive midsize market.  I'd really like to see Chrysler's momentum continue, but I am not sure that these new products have what it takes.

Compared to what?? What does it compete with? It matches the AWD Imprezza, it's more powerful than the CR-V. it's more powerful than the Vibe....what else? There will probably even be a Rallye Compass with 300 HP. What's gonna beat that for around $25K?.....a WRX STi is $32K.

You have very little idea of what the new Sebring's interior will look like.

those sebring interior spy photos look pretty damn bad too

did u not read that the guy who took them and actually SAW the interior assumed it was a BASE sebring...i hope by base you ddint expect luxury evrything

did u not read that the guy who took them and actually SAW the interior assumed it was a BASE sebring...i hope by base you ddint expect luxury evrything

Don't worry....he's been badmouthing the new Sebring ever since the first spy shot came out, and you couldn't really see anything. It just his personal mission, and he probably won't even be able to admit that it's good, if it is. :lol:

Don't worry....he's been badmouthing the new Sebring ever since the first spy shot came out, and you couldn't really see anything.  It just his personal mission, and he probably won't even be able to admit that it's good, if it is. :lol:

yea so true, if thats not true, i dont know what is

Doesn't Chrysler typically do this - lead with a great fullsize car and mediocre filler models underneath? Take the 1993 LH-cars. and the late-90s redo of them. Nice high-line products with junk beneath.

The old Sebring and Stratus were good cars......in the late 90's. Now they are just old, and not up to the competition.

The new ones will probably be class leading with their many engine choices:

4 cyl - 2.4L - 172 HP

6 cyl - 2.7L - 190 HP (maybe)

6 cyl - 3.5L - 250 HP

and hopefully they retune the 4.0L V6 in the Nitro to get more HP and sacrifice a little torque....but if not, then 255 HP & 275 ft/lbs of torque.

The 4.0L will show up in a special version, maybe called SRT-6? :ph34r:

Don't worry....he's been badmouthing the new Sebring ever since the first spy shot came out, and you couldn't really see anything.  It just his personal mission, and he probably won't even be able to admit that it's good, if it is.   :lol:

i have no reason to believe it will be decent from any of the photos and considering the 300/magnum/and charger have chintzy plasticky cobby interiors I can guarantee the Sebring's will be just as lacking if not more. Go look in a Grand Cherokee interior or pictures of the Caliber......the plastics and interior are quite lacking as well. chrysler is on a roll!!!!!!!!!

Edited by regfootball

wow a gm fan speaking of cheap interiors....i do believe gm has there share of those, and speaking of plastic...gm will put that all over the outside of vehicles

GM has improved their interiors so they are on average a step above chrysler mostly

I think its hit or miss throughout the lineup as well...

...GM has made HUGE gains in this area, but many of their products have a way to go to...DCX seems more inclined to limit quality interiors to its more risky 'space concept' vehicles like the PT or the Pacifica, perhaps hoping to convert sedan or SUV intenders on a showroom visit? or via a ride they got from their neighbor?

There is virtually nothing uglier than a Pontiac Aztec.

Everyone has cheap bits here and there, and no one has any position to determine whether or not the new Sebring etc. will be far inferior to the competition just because of spy photographs, or because they are going to be front-wheel drive.

Magazines seem to love the Honda Accord, and it's front drive and "powerful".

As long as the finishes of interior plastics are done properly, and they are tightly assembled without rattling or other problems, then quality is technically up to par. Not everything has to be soft and squishy. Honestly, are you really going to be resting you head on the dashboard of an automobile while travelling down the intersate at 70+ mph? I think not.

Chrysler has made strides in improving general quality anyway, even before the merger.

Eventually things will change, things always do.

And, even if GM has made improvements, let's not be getting ideas that they are truly world-class yet.

NO American automaker has or is yet.

Let's not be having the pot call the kettle black.